Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
After recently playing Crash 4: It's About Time, a part of a level immediately struck me as familiar

Below is an image of the level Snow Go in Crash Bandicoot 2 (note tthe slippery surface and crate placement)

36714-crash_bandicootidkbb.jpg

And here's the start of the Crash Bandicoot 4 level Crash Landed (surface is still slippery, similar crate placement)

crash-bandicoote284a286kl7.jpg

Any other noteworthy examples in games? And this isn't the same thing as "player goes back to a specific in-universe place/level," and I only specify because my example doesn't fit. e.g. Dead Space 2's Ishimura revisit doesn't count, however the mansion's layout in Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares is a reference to Resident Evil 1's mansion, just not the same place.

If it's somehow plot-relevant, be sure to tag spoilers!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Pokémon Sun & Moon have a rather lackluster recreation of the Nugget Bridge from Pokémon Red & Blue. For those who don't know or don't remember, Nugget Bridge is a forced combat event early in Red & Blue. It serves as a road block and a skill check for the player to overcome before proceeding with the story:

300px-Pokemon_RBY_Route24.png

It has a very distinct layout where you must navigate in a zigzag pattern through a series of unavoidable battles. There is a recreation of this sequence in Sun & Moon, but it is an optional sequence in an optional area (as I recall). It only serves as fan service. It's hard to find a good picture so I have to use this YouTube thumbnail:

maxresdefault.jpg

Unlike Crash though, it's very not-subtle and openly acknowledges how its a recreation of the Nugget Bridge from the original games.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Sun & Moon have a rather lackluster recreation of the Nugget Bridge from Pokémon Red & Blue. For those who don't know or don't remember, Nugget Bridge is a forced combat event early in Red & Blue. It serves as a road block and a skill check for the player to overcome before proceeding with the story:

300px-Pokemon_RBY_Route24.png

It has a very distinct layout where you must navigate in a zigzag pattern through a series of unavoidable battles. There is a recreation of this sequence in Sun & Moon, but it is an optional sequence in an optional area (as I recall). It only serves as fan service. It's hard to find a good picture so I have to use this YouTube thumbnail:

maxresdefault.jpg

Unlike Crash though, it's very not-subtle and openly acknowledges how its a recreation of the Nugget Bridge from the original games.
They already did something like this in X and Y too. Santalune Forest is basically the same as Viridian Forest in its layout.

Viridian_Forest_RBY.png
Santalune_Forest_XY.png

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
There's sooooo many of them, everywhere, in tons of game, hard to focus on one in particular, but here's this :

unknown.png

Megaman X (snes) / Megaman ZX (ds)

Also

3cc631285df15aeee03f7f7cb650328d5f36897e_hq.jpg

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
They already did something like this in X and Y too. Santalune Forest is basically the same as Viridian Forest in its layout.

Viridian_Forest_RBY.png
Santalune_Forest_XY.png
It's funny, I was going to do both this example and the bridge example but it was such a pain to get the picture from Sun & Moon that I forgot about this one completely.

That's unfortunate for me because this is the better example of the two. Good call.

Nov 1, 2017
In Guest Star mode in Kirby Star Allies, each of the dream friends had levels that referenced the games they originally appeared in.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Two out of Megaman X5's four final levels actually do this:

- The layout of the first final level is directly lifted from Quick Man's stage from Mega Man 2, complete with instadeath lasers.

- The layout of the following stage is directly lifted from Sigma Stage 1 in Mega Man X1. Though while the aforementioned example was 1:1 to the original level, this one starts deviating a bit halfway through.