Oct 27, 2017
Jin Kazama
5'11" 165 lbs.
latest

Sol Badguy
6'0" 163 lbs

latest

Ryu
5'9" 187 lbs as of SFV and VI apparently.

latest

Out of these 3, Ryu is the only believable one, though I'd say he's closer to 200 lbs. At 5'9" though, he looks about right or close enough. Sol and Jin though? I mean, I'm fit, shorter than them, and yet I weigh more than both. Why am I not that huge? Then you've got goofy shit like Sagat. Do developers just punch in random numbers or something? I know the answer is probably yes or simply the art style but it's still so funny. And let's not even talk about Pokémon where you've got literal boulders the same weight as your average teenager.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Sol Badguy is filled with copies of Sheer Heart Attack and Yare yare-s, it's not fair to hold his weight to human standards.

TechnoSyndro

May 15, 2019
Have NRS ever given their characters' weights? It's always seemed more like a Japanese ignorance of the actual weight of muscle mass to me.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a fighting game thing, it's a japanese media issue. The same thing happens for anime height and weights.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This isn't a fighting game thing, it's a japanese media issue. The same thing happens for anime height and weights.
yeah, even the biggest dudes have some insane weights.

Raikage from naruto is 6'5 and looks a beast and weighs 220. zaraki kenpachi is 6'8 and weighs 198.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The VF5 knowledge check, Taka:

maxresdefault.jpg

He's probably my favorite big guy in fighting games simply cuz the idea of a dude being so huge you have to know certain combos just for him is so cool. But that also means I hate fighting him :(

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Goku is 5'9 and 137lbs. Naruto as an adult is 5'11 and 112 lbs. And pretty much every female character you can think of is going to be sub 100lbs.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I own a copy of Ring Fit Adventure so I think it makes sense that I weigh as much as Jin or Sol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
According to the Super Exciting Guide, Goku is 175 CM (5'8'') and 62 KG (137 pounds).

shirtless_goku_6_by_l_dawg211_ddck9y2-fullview.jpg

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when I want to figure out a characters weight relative to their height I'll enter it into an ideal height calculator and google some people that height and base it off that. Wouldn't be shocked if they did similar. (Especially how close Jin and Sol match up)

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about the running joke of Chun's weight being a secret. And damn, she lost 3 inches in height between II and V.

282.jpg
vine-chunli.jpg

Also Abigail apparently weighs 584 lbs.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
One good video game character weight is that Mega Man is twice as heavy as X despite being half the height, which sounds absurd until you realize that part of X being an upgrade is that he isn't absurdly heavily like his predecessor.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
The VF5 knowledge check, Taka:

maxresdefault.jpg

He's probably my favorite big guy in fighting games simply cuz the idea of a dude being so huge you have to know certain combos just for him is so cool. But that also means I hate fighting him :(

Yeah VF is one of those games where character stats like weight and height really matter. I still remember Sarah being a sucker for juggles given her low weight and tall height (just as well she is tough to crack especially in that kick stance).

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
This isnt a question pointed at you specifically I guess... But why do you think its an issue? Is it the conversion of units? Is there a cultural bias that favors lower weight numbers despite appearance? Or have many game/manga/anime writers just never stepped on a scale?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This isnt a question pointed at you specifically I guess... But why do you think its an issue? Is it the conversion of units? Is there a cultural bias that favors lower weight numbers despite appearance? Or have many game/manga/anime writers just never stepped on a scale?
I'd have to assume that low average body weight comes into play.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I feel like it could be a combination of all those plus some. I won't pretend I know the culture well enough, but how is Japanese society with fitness/body building/weight management? I know in the States we tend to be a bit more superficial so it's more front and center in our society.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm curious too. I highlight fighting games because most of them feature big beefy dudes, but it's definitely not exclusive to them. I assume part of it is that many don't really wanna go the extra mile of researching realistic weights and so they kinda just up their numbers a bit clearly not enough.

But again, Pokemon has no excuse. How is an Onyx less than 500 lbs? It's a snake made out of boulders.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
They are being weighed on a planet with lower gravity. This is also why FG characters can jump so damn high.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
www.worlddata.info

Average height for men and women worldwide

How tall is a human? Height and weight for men and women in an international comparison

Japan
Average male height - 1.72 m (5' 8")
Average male weight - 69.5 kg (153.2 lb)
BMI - 23.6

Average female height - 1.58 m (5' 2")
Average female weight - 54.8 kg (120.8 lb)
BMI - 21.9

United States
Average male height - 1.77 m (5' 10")
Average male weight - 90.6 kg (199.7 lb)
BMI - 29.0

Average female height - 1.63 m (5' 4")
Average female weight - 77.1 kg (170.0 lb)
BMI - 29.0

(I have no idea how good this data is.)

Oct 26, 2017
FQEctBAXMAI_vjG

Weight:
Secret~♥

It's funny. Capcom once kinda sorta maybe confirmed Chun-Li's weight in a super roundabout way. In the JP version of Street Fighter Alpha 3, Juni does a power analysis of her opponent in each win quote, for example:
"BP8200/SP8600. The target's highest output of SP was recorded at 10420." (Guile, who is 182 cm and 86 kg in some versions)
"BP7800/SP5400. Subject has a clear reaction to the Psycho scan." (Rose, who is a ridiculous 178 cm and 54 kg)
So BP is clearly (height-100)*100 and SP is weight*100.

The quote to Chun-Li is:
"BP6900/SP6800. No reaction of DD in the target's upper arms, or lower thighs."
Chun-Li is in fact 169 cm tall in some versions. So unless they specifically made Juni calculate this differently for her (and they did skip the stats in some quotes so they could easily just have avoided this), Chun-Li is 68 kg which would be remarkably realistic but also heavy for a female fighting character, (again, see Rose) which is probably why she wouldn't tell.

Aug 26, 2018
米国・日本

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It feels like most of the time the weight is for someone considered "slim" for their height, basically acting like muscles don't have significant mass, only fat would.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah VF is one of those games where character stats like weight and height really matter. I still remember Sarah being a sucker for juggles given her low weight and tall height (just as well she is tough to crack especially in that kick stance).

Absolutely. Love the play style of Aoi but her ability to get comboed for huge damage made me a Goh main for a while.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Popping the figures from this thread into an online BMI calculator because I don't do math in my head,

Guile - 29.6
Shang Tsung - 29.3
Ryu (VI) - 27.6
Blanka - 26.3
Reptile - 25.6
Chun-Li (theorized) - 23.8
Jin Kazama - 23.0
Nagoriyuki - 22.7
Sol Badguy - 22.1
Ryu (II) - 21.5
Jigglypuff - 21.3
Goku - 20.8
Kitana - 18.9
Frost - 18.2
Rose - 17.0
Naruto (Adult) - 15.6
Sagat - 15.3

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
latest

Lucky Glauber From KOF is 7'3" 231 pounds. This is kind of close but looking at his definition and checking the 7 foot NBA player's weights I think he'd be closer to 260 or more.

The whole American Sports Team is tall as fuck. Heavy D is 6'10", and Brian Battler is also 7'3"!

Edit: actually he should be in the 300s. Yao Ming was like 310 when he was in the NBA.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
www.worlddata.info

Average height for men and women worldwide

How tall is a human? Height and weight for men and women in an international comparison

Japan
Average male height - 1.72 m (5' 8")
Average male weight - 69.5 kg (153.2 lb)
BMI - 23.6

Average female height - 1.58 m (5' 2")
Average female weight - 54.8 kg (120.8 lb)
BMI - 21.9

United States
Average male height - 1.77 m (5' 10")
Average male weight - 90.6 kg (199.7 lb)
BMI - 29.0

Average female height - 1.63 m (5' 4")
Average female weight - 77.1 kg (170.0 lb)
BMI - 29.0

(I have no idea how good this data is.)
Ehhhh...

Nope. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Lucky Glauber From KOF is 7'3" 231 pounds. This is kind of close but looking at his definition and checking the 7 foot NBA player's weights I think he'd be closer to 260 or more.
Actually, I think those numbers are might be taken straight from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Not weight related, just height, but is so weird how in Dead or Alive Kasumi and Ayane both are only like 1.58m tall, their bodies in game don't really refflect that at all, like I'm personally 1.76m irl and I don't really see at all how Kaumi would be almost 20cm shorter than me, that doesn't make any sense. Plus in DOA6 there is Kula in the game who canonically should be like 7cm taller, yet....
8j3du9qaxia31.jpg

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
latest

The whole American Sports Team is tall as fuck. Heavy D is 6'10", and Brian Battler is also 7'3"!

Edit: actually he should be in the 300s. Yao Ming was like 310 when he was in the NBA.
Yao Ming was over 300? Goddamn.