• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.
Oct 25, 2017

animalympics-600.jpg

I randomly rented a VHS of this at a library as a kid , maybe 20 years ago.
This fun, animal-themed sports movie was originally a pair of hour-long specials to coincide with both the Lake Placid Winter Olympics and Moscow Summer Olympics back in 1980.

From what I learned, political controversy led to NBC's cancellation of the Moscow Summer Games coverage and, as a result, the original Animalympics summer special was not shown.
Both the Summer and the previously-aired Winter specials were later edited into a single movie that made its way to home video and Disney Channel (and some premium TV channels like HBO) throughout the 90s, after failing to hit theaters.

large-screenshot2.jpg

fencing.png

tumblr_pkp1252EhT1wgv564o9_500.png

hqdefault.jpg

D8s2TFLVUAAJ1ae.jpg

1000730193.jpg

Saberspark made a retrospective video on Youtube a couple months back, giving a better explanation behind the movie's broadcasting complications, and why the movie itself was so enjoyable.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this as a kid, still have fond memories of Kurt Wüffner and his search for Dogra-La.

Also, the story of the two marathon runners, Rene Fromage and Kit Mambo, woven through the entire movie is the best.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Somewhere deep in the recesses of my hippocampus are vague recollections of watching this on HBO.
Cartoons were pretty nuts back then - this has almost Ralph Bakshi level of more adult orientated content.

Also Saberspark is right on that the fencing scene is one of the highlights of the movie.

Last edited:

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I love this film. There's a funeral director close to where I live called "Dean Wilson" and every time I go past it, all I can hear in my head is "For sure!" without fail.