Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Let's see those massively oversized things. To start with this classic, the insanely huge cars on the bridge section of Batman Arkham Origins.
HQHcoD8.jpg

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Playing doom 3 in vr a while back had this effect; everything in the world seemed much bigger than it should have been.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good grief, I thought that was a photoshopped image - the blue car is even bigger.

giphy.gif

It looks like it was only for that section of the bridge, though, cause every other car during the boss battle seems to be decently proportional. Still super weird to see.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Good grief, I thought that was a photoshopped image - the blue car is even bigger.
giphy.gif

It looks like it was only for that section of the bridge, though, cause every other car during the boss battle seems to be decently proportional. Still super weird to see.

Which is why it stands out so much for the most part the cars in game are fairly realistically proportioned compared to the characters. But on the bridge section they are gigantic.

Though like a lot of games, some of the doors are very oversized in some of the buildings.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The doors in Days Gone seem pretty huge

O9dK93m.jpg

This isn't that uncommon though as third person games try to leave space for the camera

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any specific examples but it always bothers me when games have overworlds where the characters are walking around and they're bigger than the trees / mountains that are around them. It looks goofy.

Edit: like this one

Suikoden_II_world_map.png

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon generally avoids the standard classic JRPG scaling problems for the most part, outside of buildings being way bigger on the inside, but this is a classic

ssanne.png

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I couldn't find a screenshot of it so I apologize in advance, but the one that always stuck with me was the front doors on houses near where Little Jacob lives in GTA 4. They were really small, only coming up to Nico's neck if you stood right by them.

If anyone fancies recreating this screenshot for me I'd be grateful :P

Nov 21, 2017
Did anyone say car-sized cones? Don't worry, Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2 (AKA Kaido Racer 2 in PAL regions AKA Kaido Battle 3 in Japan AKA goddamn just choose a name for all regions and stick with it)

maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Haha jesus, what are some developers thinking?
That's what happens when you get sloppy about scaling models from the beginning, or if you realize that a model is too small for gameplay purposes. Like the batman cars could be that size because a normal sized car would've been not enough cover. Giant Doors could be that size because the "correct" scale would be a nightmare of clipping and at that point you're too late in the process so you just scale up the asset instead of making a new one.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Did anyone say car-sized cones? Don't worry, Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2 (AKA Kaido Racer 2 in PAL regions AKA Kaido Battle 3 in Japan AKA goddamn just choose a name for all regions and stick with it)

maxresdefault.jpg
That's what happens when you get sloppy about scaling models from the beginning, or if you realize that a model is too small for gameplay purposes. Like the batman cars could be that size because a normal sized car would've been not enough cover. Giant Doors could be that size because the "correct" scale would be a nightmare of clipping and at that point you're too late in the process so you just scale up the asset instead of making a new one.

But... Japan!

safety-cones-4a-468x351.jpg

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's hard to find pics of it, but gears 5 has GIGANTIC toilet stalls
This is a marginally better picture, but that entire place was massively out of proportion. Shoulder-high sinks, mirrors and hand-dryers too high for anyone to use them, and hallways large enough for like fifteen people to walk abreast.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
54df2af8-d8cc-44d9-ao5ksi.jpeg

I suspect this church might be a tardis, because it certainly looks like it's bigger on the inside. Either that or Cloud and Aeris are suffering from having wildly fluctuating body sizes.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I was going to post this... the game is cartoony so it's less maybe jarring than other games. But at the beginning, you can't help to wonder how poor luigi is supposed to sit on that without falling to his death.

Those realistic games are ridiculous though, especially those without a hint of humour - I can't believe those huge cars in batman.

again, it's intentional, i mean look at this :

jZMNqW.gif

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Most From Software games have the majority of enemies significantly bigger than you. I think it's mostly done so that they are easier to see behind your character because fighting human size enemies makes this definitely tougher.

I don't know why developers would do this in other games. Why not just make doors slightly taller and wider than the player hitbox so they still look fine? Or in that FFXV scene why not just have an extra row of seats/tables and scale everything down to the right size?

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of FPS suffer of the "eyes-in-the-chest syndrome", where your point of view is lower of what should be and everything seems higher than the normal. One of the exceptions is the OG Prey, that opens in a well proportioned washroom:

Now you're going to say me that Link is too little in MInish Cap...

the batman cars could be that size because a normal sized car would've been not enough cover.
Then why don't use another type of vehicle? A pickup, a van, a truck? This isn't SMB3 with the Giant World!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Everything in Banjo-Tooie looks like the maps were scaled up 1.5x at some point during development and they just never bothered to check if that made sense.

Banjo looks like a toy when wandering around Jolly's bar