Feb 5, 2020
I was browsing my Steam wishlist when I noticed Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver didn't have a price and simply said "View Details". When I clicked on it I was greeted by this message:

It seems like the game is getting an update! Going off of Steam reviews it seems like it has major issues running on modern hardware so it's nice for it to be patched officially.
Couldn't find any thread about it so if this is old news then whoops.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I've been thinking about getting back into this franchise after I started this game 16 years ago and lent it to my cousin who returned it, this might be the right time!

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Is this a start of something bigger? GOD I HOPE SO!!!

on topic : yes all of the LoK games run terrible on PC. They always crash for me or just glitch a ton.
Oh man now I want my reboot again. Ahhhhh

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Been meaning to give this game a proper playthrough for years but the issues with the PC version have put me off.

Hope this update opens the door.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Odd... I have it on Steam. Depending on what is updated (if anything) I'd happily go through it again. Legacy of Kain is one of my favorite franchises. Hate how dirty Square/Crystal Dynamics/Eidos have treated it. Like, I get it, Tomb Raider, yay.... From 2005 until 2020 (when Avengers was released) Crystal Dynamics had released only Tomb Raider games. Eight of them. Eight.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I got a good way through it a couple of years back. So many goddamn blocks to move.

EDIT: They probably just took it down so they can patch out the Beastie Boys soundtrack.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if the Legacy of Kain games got controller support. It controls dodgy when I play it.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
LoK has the best plot in a video game series.

Fight me. (Or don't because I know we all agree.)

I'd buy a Complete Chronology is a heartbeat.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Lol, this is Square Enix we're talking about here. Their PC support is abysmal. There's a non-zero percent chance it never returns to Steam.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I never finished this game. Got it with my ps2 but my mom had forgotten to buy a memory card. After playing for 8 hours I ran to buy a card and when I came back home my mom had unplugged the ps2 while cleaning. Never played the game again.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
The Legacy of Kain games NEED to be remade, they deserve it.
This is correct.

Also correct.
Lol, this is Square Enix we're talking about here. Their PC support is abysmal. There's a non-zero percent chance it never returns to Steam.
... also correct and very possible.
Widescreen and gamepad support please!!
SOUL REAVER IN 3440X1440 ULTRAWIDE O_O

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's awesome. I've tried to play this a few times, but it's a bit of a pest to get running nicely on a modern machine.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god yes please. The state of the LoK games on PC is an absolute disgrace. I played through the series for the first time last year and had to buy the console versions instead because the PC versions are just so unstable and have so many game-breaking bugs and control issues.

You can get it running after 3 hours of work but then it just so happens that you get hit by a bug that makes it impossible for you to move back from the spectral into the material realm which you will only notice like an hour into the game. Yay! (Blood Omen 2 then crashed on Xbox for me, too and deleted hours of progress, but I count it as a blessing as that gave me the way out to watch the rest of the game's story on youtube. Jesus christ that game sucks.)

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
New Soul reaver games now with the SSDs would be amazing for transitions between the worlds

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I love the LOK series. I hope they bring them back. A complete remake of the originals is justified and it will be well received, I think. Raziel is such a great character.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
It would sure be something if the PC port finally got the Dreamcast graphics.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
How essential is the first Legacy of Kain game? I know that's probably a stupid question since it's the "first", but is it generally self contained and the sequels just build off it? I've tried playing it so many time but I just can't get into it, while I played Souls Reaver and Defiance a little as a kid, and enjoyed what I saw.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How essential is the first Legacy of Kain game? I know that's probably a stupid question since it's the "first", but is it generally self contained and the sequels just build off it? I've tried playing it so many time but I just can't get into it, while I played Souls Reaver and Defiance a little as a kid, and enjoyed what I saw.

I'm willing to bet a good chunk of Soul Reaver fans never played Legacy of Kain. I had never heard of it when I bought Soul Reaver back in the day. Obviously there are references, but they are massively different games and you will be in no way lost by having not played LoK.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Man I hope they add proper gamepad support. Like seriously, getting this game to run even with Steam Input is such a PITA.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I never played the first and jumped in with Soul Reaver. They get into more of the lore of the first game (blood omen) in soul reaver 2 and Defiance.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017

whats amazing is is does this despite several games being reworked from unrelated ip into Kain games.

soul reaver was shifter, while blood omen 2 was Chakan the forever man.

mid love a remake of the first game and a sequel to defiance, but it's been decades and all the core people who made it great have moved on.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My guess would be they are adding controller support.

The GOG versions of all the games ran okay last time I played it.

Though I had to jump through some hoops to get Blood Omen 2 working, the HD textures mod was worth it.

It's the best game of its genre (2d Gothic Zelda-like with metroidvania elements), and both Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance's plots are directly connected to everything in Blood Omen.

So i'd say definitely play it, if you can get your hands on it

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I played both of the Soul Reaver games + Defiance when they released, and didn't play Blood Omen until I replayed the entire series about 5 years ago, and I will say that the latter games, while certainly able to stand on their own, definitely have a richer context after having played through Blood Omen.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can continue my progress (from the beginning area lol).

I love the atmosphere still and the cutscenes are still top-notch.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a cool franchise. It needs to come back, even if it's just a remake. I'm ashamed to admit I never actually beat any of the games, although I played a ton of SR2 back in the PS2 days.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Is this a start of something bigger? GOD I HOPE SO!!!

on topic : yes all of the LoK games run terrible on PC. They always crash for me or just glitch a ton.
Oh man now I want my reboot again. Ahhhhh

I've played all of them on PC and never experienced any kind of technical issues. [win 98, xp and 7], but on my current Windows 10 rig, Soul Reaver won't even start.
Haven't bothered to try the other ones.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's way too much to hope for proper "remaster" kind of attention, I imagine it's just some bug fixes or general compatibility type things.

Incidentally, SR2 is on sale for less than a buck right now, if you don't already have it.