Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I'm thinking of mounting a LED strip as the primary light source for my living room and would like some advice if anyone happens to have done the same.

My plan is to mount the strip above my windows and curtains facing upwards toward the ceiling. The thing I quite can't decide on is if I should go for straight upward facing or diagonally 45 degree facing ones?

Straight upward facing:
10pcs-1m-pcs-TS07Y-led-aluminium-profile-for-led-strip-lights-led-strip-aluminum-led-profile.jpg

45 degree angle:
15PCS-1m-length-aluminium-led-profile-corner-channel-free-shipping-led-strip-aluminum-channel-housing-Item.jpg

I have a board like this above my windows except it stretches 3.20 meters above three french balconies. I want to mount the strip on (the red line). The light will illuminate inward to the living room. The 45 degree one would reach further I guess but I'm worried the light might catch too much in the eyes?

eTT31mX.jpg

Anyone done this? If yes, pictures would be helpful to see just how far in the 45 degree one reaches. Any other tips regarding this?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to look bad if you don't use deeper diffusers than those pictured, and have the lights concealed in a recess or crown molding designed for that purpose.
LED strip lighting is generally low quality (low-CRI) so I would not want it as the primary light source in a room; mostly accent/ambient lighting.
You want high-CRI lighting as the main light source in a room; which is still mostly non-LED for good/affordable consumer options.
You should look up examples of rooms illuminated solely by this type of lighting; it's really ugly lighting to be in for any length of time.

maxresdefault4kkl8.jpg

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I've done this but for my desk under a ressec.
First of all, your strip won't be able to light your living room as a main light source. even a powerfull strip won't bounce that much even at 45d, you'll need more leds. It will look VERY bright up there but the entire room will be in this shade and it will hurt your eyes more than anything else to have this brightly lit ceiling but dark walls / floors / entire room

Secondly, don't do vertical, it's too close to the ceiling and wont spread and wont bounce : I did it for desk light under a recess and half my desk is lit, the other half is in the shade lol but if you do 45; make sure you can't see the leds or it will be too bright for your eyes for direct sight

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you should only do vertical if there's enough clearance to spread the light. Also I don't think you want it for a primary light source. It's more for setting a vibe. I have vertical ones above my kitchen cabinets that look really nice.

OP
OP
Perzeval

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I've done this but for my desk under a ressec.
First of all, your strip won't be able to light your living room as a main light source. even a powerfull strip won't bounce that much even at 45d, you'll need more leds. It will look VERY bright up there but the entire room will be in this shade and it will hurt your eyes more than anything else to have this brightly lit ceiling but dark walls / floors / entire room

Secondly, don't do vertical, it's too close to the ceiling and wont spread and wont bounce : I did it for desk light under a recess and half my desk is lit, the other half is in the shade lol but if you do 45; make sure you can't see the leds or it will be too bright for your eyes for direct sight
Yeah you should only do vertical if there's enough clearance to spread the light. Also I don't think you want it for a primary light source. It's more for setting a vibe. I have vertical ones above my kitchen cabinets that look really nice.
Alright, thanks for the replies! 👍

I failed to mention that I usually don't have lights at full bright in my living room, mostly off actually with ambient light coming from the kitchen as I live in a one room apartment. I only use my living room for gaming and watching movies so that's why the lights are mostly off, except for when cleaning and the like. I wouldn't have the strip att full bright but dimmed somewhat, but I'm still thinking the 45 degree strip might be annoying if theres direct eye contact. I'm starting to think that a vertical with diffuser might be best?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, thanks for the replies! 👍

I failed to mention that I usually don't have lights at full bright in my living room, mostly off actually with ambient light coming from the kitchen as I live in a one room apartment. I only use my living room for gaming and watching movies so that's why the lights are mostly off, except for when cleaning and the like. I wouldn't have the strip att full bright but dimmed somewhat, but I'm still thinking the 45 degree strip might be annoying if theres direct eye contact. I'm starting to think that a vertical with diffuser might be best?
Do you have bias lighting behind your TV yet? I would put that in before adding more ambient lighting. We never bother turning ours off now.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just did new house construction and have a bunch of these, but none are the primary lights. You may mostly only use ambient lighting but you may need "real" light someday so I'd say use this as secondary that you can turn on to set a mood when needed.

OP
OP
Perzeval

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Do you have bias lighting behind your TV yet? I would put that in before adding more ambient lighting. We never bother turning ours off now.
I have not, been looking to get one though. I've been putting it off because I've been waiting for a good ambilight solution :P should just go for warm white I guess.