More

• <1 million by end of fiscal year (Team Bomba)

Votes: 301 34.5%
  • >1 million by end of fiscal year (Team Not-Bomba)

Votes: 572 65.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Based on feedback, the benchmark has been updated 1 million! Feel free to change your vote until the poll closes.

Q: What do I get if I win?
A:

Numbers are for Worldwide
Simple enough premise, however there's some things to note.

1. Shipped is more generous than sell-through, this Avatar Bet will use shipped since that's far more common for official statistics
2. For Team Not-Bomba to win, it must be announced Astral Chain has sold 1,000,000 or more copies at any point up to and including the fiscal year meeting at the end of April, 2020.
3. If sales are not publicly known to have past that point by the start of May 2020, Team Bomba wins.
4. If, based on sales data for known regions, that the game has absolutely no chance of making it to 500,000 by years end, when compared to respective regional and lifetime sales of other Switch titles, the bet will be called early and Team Bomba wins to avoid dragging out the result. This has to be a 2/3rds consensus.

The Stakes:
If your team loses, you must wear the corresponding avatar for 1 month PLUS a number of days equal to (Metascore - 75) x 2.
The better the game, the bigger the bomb, that is the Platinum way!

The Avatars:
If you choose Not-Bomba, and you lose:
euGc2nL.png

If you choose Bomba and you lose:
uIjdkac.png

I have no interest in calling people out. You lose, you take the avatar yourself. God knows when you wimped out.

This is not meant to be mean-spirited, this is just a bit of a numbers game considering the inconsistent financial success of PlatinumGames' titles. Do not criticize people as hating Platinum just because they vote Team Bomba.

Avatars may be refined a little more but for now they are final. Additional submissions for losing avatars are welcome.

Last edited:

rare

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be another blunderful 101
w101 is a good game dont hurt me pls

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd sworn off avatar bets but I guess I can make one exception for Platinum. Knowing what I'll be forced to wear ahead of time helps too.

Let's do this, Team Not-Bomba.
817.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not participating, but I feel pretty confident a first party Switch game will cross the threshold.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If being irrationally optimistic about PlatinumGames in the face of a decade of evidence otherwise is wrong, I don't want to be right.

#TeamNotBomba BAYBEE

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Not participating, but this is a tough one to gauge. Japanese sales are tough to predict for this release, as is western interest. I think it'll sell 1m by end of fiscal year, but I don't expect it to be a 2m+ seller, either. Probably a game that settles in the 1-1.5m range.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Because I want it to do well and I am unlucky with bets I will go team bomba. But I will just use for 1 week.

OP
OP
Regiruler

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yeah I'd be shocked to see less than a million total units then. Especially with digital, though Nintendo doesn't release it's digital sales.
Nintendo would have to announce it. If they fail to announce that it broke the required amount, Bomba wins.

There's no way of knowing otherwise unless the numbers somehow leak from a trustworthy source.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not participating, but this is a tough one to gauge. Japanese sales are tough to predict for this release, as is western interest. I think it'll sell 1m by end of fiscal year, but I don't expect it to be a 2m+ seller, either. Probably a game that settles in the 1-1.5m range.

Yeah this is basically what I expect. If it's somehow one of the best games of the generation I could see it hitting the 2M ceiling.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
NOT-BOMBA.

I believe in the Switch bump and AC has been given a good amount of time in directs and social media. I think it can do it by next FY no problem.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Put me on team not bomba.

They just need to sell 899,999 copies since I will buy one.

gsab1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Non bomba even with platinum games usually not selling that well, 900k is fairly reachable.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the game

Team Platinum and team not bomba all the way!

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in. If I win I get the satisfaction of seeing a platinum game get the financial recognition it deserves. I believe in you Astral Chain. Make dreams happen.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I´m going Team not bomba.
Gonna be a good game.
People buy all kinds of games on the Switch (unlike the WiiU).
Have faith.