• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But why do you have that feeling? So far there is nothing to indicate that it will be anything like the WiiU. It was the No.1 product in it's first week and there have been no price drops that would indicate retailer nervousness about the products sales potential. Unless you have some further data you are holding back?

But yeah, if it sells like under 20k during the Golden Week sales period, or doesn't push through it's initial shipment without a price drop, I am not above admitting I'm wrong. I won't move goalposts.

Notice how I am also not saying it will be a sales success. This is because, as many people in this thread have been saying, it is way to early to make definitive statements. All that you can go on right now are gut feelings and that is fine, but these feelings can't be presented as data.

My gut feeling (not based on data): I think it will do respectable. It is perfect thing for me as a dad to pick up and do with my kids over the Golden Week vacation (which starts May 3rd). I teach at an elementary school here in Japan and kids have been talking about Labo. Does that chatter present definitive data that Labo will be a huge hit? No, it is only an anecdote.

But yeah, let's come back to this in a few weeks.

But just to have a baseline. What would Labo need to do to be considered a success in your eyes? Or just not a flop? Give some numbers and we can have an interesting discussion in the future.
At least 2 million units worldwide and Nintendo making more investments into the ideas behind it IE more kits would prove that it isn't a bomba to them at least.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's try this again.

Yes, the OP was horrible, I think that's been established. Let's move past it.
- So did Labo fall below expectations? Perhaps discuss why that may be? What could be done better?
- It's ok to not like Labo. It's ok to like Labo. It's not ok to turn the thread into a mud-slinging fest over that difference.

We'll give this another shot, but if it keeps going downhill I'm just gonna throw this thread in the dustbin.

This is the kind of discourse you wanted when you reopened the thread? Callout fans of something if they dont agree with you?

I do think super fans like you said seem to be using their support for all Nintendo products as some sort of guage for how much they love Nintendo. I really enjoy them but to me a true fan is willing to call a company out on bad ideas. Kind of like the fans pretending that the DCEU movies are good.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the West, toy sales are overwhelmingly Christmas loaded. I used to read Hasbro investor reports like 5 years back, and recall like 80-90% of their revenue was generated in December.

Not sure how it's like in Japan. Is there an equivalent holiday?

Christmas is typically one present for the kid from Santa. New Years you get kids that are fucking LOADED with cash from relatives thanks to otoshidama money. Even 20 years back when I'd go back to Japan we would see relatives and they'd be like "oh by the way here's otoshidama money we couldn't get to you" and we'd have like $2000 between my brother and I to blow on toys and games and everything. And no, our extended family isn't rich by any stretch, it's just that it's customary for relatives to give kids 3-5000yen a pop.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
In the West, toy sales are overwhelmingly Christmas loaded. I used to read Hasbro investor reports like 5 years back, and recall like 80-90% of their revenue was generated in December.

Not sure how it's like in Japan. Is there an equivalent holiday?

Not particularly.

It's Golden Week time now, so I expect sales to increase since kids are off school and in general its a big shopping/sales time now. I guess there is techinically Black Friday here too now, but definitely not in the same way as the west. Overall things tend to simply sell over time. There has not been a massive push for this thing either way and feels like simply the people who know about it are the ones who got it. It was featured on a few morning TV shows... a public demo for children is about all I've seen of it casually.

Since gaming is almost exclusively marketed towards children in this country it surprises me that I have not seen a massive ad campaign for this on TV and what not. Also seems like companies like to launch "big new products" right at test time, doubt most parents want to shell out on some distraction a few days before tests lol. Stores had tons of them, but no demos or displays of it in my area (I only live in a medium sized city though)

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not calling out fans that disagree with me, calling out fans that deride others that don't think it's a good product. Plenty of examples of that in this thread and basically every other thread on labo. In the initial reveal I had said that I didn't think it looked like a worthwhile idea and got dogpiled on.

It'll easily do 2M world wide. Not sure how you got that 120k in the first week in Japan means it'll sell less than that.

My comment had another part to it. They need to also be announcing/investing in new kits too.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are great successes. I'm just using XBC2 to just show how ridiculous saying 1-2 Switch is a absolute failure is. If 2.29 million units is a failure...then what's XBC2?

The highest selling Xeno game? It's finally out sold Xenogears which was under Square Soft on the PS1. Damn good game.

The sales for 1-2 Switch is honestly surprising to me but hell what do I know. That's a lot of drunk people having fun.

I remember a conversation with a Game Stop manager about 1-2 Switch and video game versions of Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy and he said that he loves when games like these are released because they sell out and get traded in and makes profit by resaling them used and they're never on the self long.

Sorry for being off topic

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What exactly is the game for Labo? Cardboard creation has been featured more than the actual game portion of it. It just seems more like a kids version of the IKEA experience.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Labo seems like it only caters to a veeeeeery specific demographic of Nintendo fans who've grown up enough to have a kid. $400 is a very expensive proposition if you don't already have a Switch.

I still think Labo is a neat idea, but I think smaller kits and trying to do a Smartphone version would be far more palpable to a wide audience.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
At least 2 million units worldwide and Nintendo making more investments into the ideas behind it IE more kits would prove that it isn't a bomba to them at least.

OK, so 2 million WW LTD is the number. And A Toy Con Kit 3 or something with a similar idea being announced by Nintendo. OK, now we have a baseline.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know what you're talking about? I just posted that FW sales for games like this don't matter much. Most of the sales come from the evergreen status and holidays.

Why hasn't the OP been edited to include your compilation of FW compared to LTD of other games.

seems helpful for context.

hm, wonder why.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Ignoring mod post, thread whining
Not calling out fans that disagree with me, calling out fans that deride others that don't think it's a good product. Plenty of examples of that in this thread and basically every other thread on labo. In the initial reveal I had said that I didn't think it looked like a worthwhile idea and got dogpiled on.

Nah, you made a shitty thread, without context, without information about the product, oblivious to a holyday that will help sell Labo, and the reason Nnintendo shipped a lor more units. and now you play the victim. The definition of petty.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty sure most users on here don't actually know what they are talking about when it comes to game sales numbers. And they know even less about toy sales numbers...

We have no idea whether or not Labo will be a success, it is an unprecedented product that launched a week ago..
This. Some of you guys are embarrassing yourselves acting like we already know how it's going to perform

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Nintendo some props for trying something unique.

Still not sure who the demographic for this is though. I saw Giant Bomb making the thing, and I cant really see young kids super enthused about it. Like, it takes a long time just to make the thing. The robot seems really involved and took Jeff on Giant Bomb like over 2 hours to make it to just stomp around for 10 minutes.

/shrug

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It has had a soft opening but it's hardly a disaster. 130K is a decent opening and it's likely to see well across GW. It also looks like a product that will sell well long term particularly at Christmas.

Attempting to judge its success based on 1 weeks sales in 1 market seems like a fools endeavour.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
No one is gonna buy a Switch for this. Their buying a Switch for Zelda and Mario and stuff first and foremost. Never expected it to do incredible or sell consoles.

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Who actually thought that Lao was going to sell like a normal game and not like Brain Training and sell like 10k a week every week for 4 years? I was expecting the latter. I expect sales will normalize to 10k a week, i think the 100k sales was just the hype selling the game.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lets not pretend that Nintendo fans weren't overhyping this product, acting like it was going to be some huge game changer.
I saw some people overhyping how much this would sell, but I wouldn't say it's a majority. The biggest problem is saying it failed because of first week sellthrough. Pretty much anyone who follows japanese sales know this isn't representative of how well a casual software can do.

Also, if selling over 100K in 2 days is a flop, then the japanese industry is completely dead because like less than 10% of the games can do that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Lets not pretend that Nintendo fans weren't overhyping this product, acting like it was going to be some huge game changer.
From a sales perspective we don't know yet.

But Labo is still an insanely cool product and there's nothing else really like it. It's pretty unprecedented. That hasn't changed.

In terms of "things that are possible with a video game console" it most definitely IS a game changer.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Nintendo some props for trying something unique.

Still not sure who the demographic for this is though. I saw Giant Bomb making the thing, and I cant really see young kids super enthused about it. Like, it takes a long time just to make the thing. The robot seems really involved and took Jeff on Giant Bomb like over 2 hours to make it to just stomp around for 10 minutes.

/shrug
Yeah, with every video I've seen online it doesn't actually seem that... Entertaining to say the least and I don't understand the demographics and based on the people's here a lot also might not understand it.

And seeing as how the only advertisements I see for the switch here in America are for DK and rocket league I think NOA may agree. It just seems like a product that is going to come out with a thud and never be referenced again. Kind of like Wii music in a way

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with every video I've seen online it doesn't actually seem that... Entertaining to say the least and I don't understand the demographics and based on the people's here a lot also might not understand it.

And seeing as how the only advertisements I see for the switch here in America are for DK and rocket league I think NOA may agree. It just seems like a product that is going to come out with a thud and never be referenced again. Kind of like Wii music in a way

You have a very short sighted view. But ok, you're welcome to feel that way. But your criticism comes off a little uneducated.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
All right, can't say I didn't give you guys another shot.

There was an actual topic to discuss here, since it's essentially an article that was posted. Even if you were to put the OP on ignore, there are a whole bunch of other people in here having a conversation. No need to keep returning to how terrible you think the opening post was.

Status
Not open for further replies.