Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is a something coming from Kojima Productions lol

Geoff did an interview with Kojima a couple of hours ago

"Of course, compared with the PS4 version, the resolution and the frame rate have been upgraded," he responded through a translator. "But the biggest surprise I think that people will get is that we supported the 21:9 ultrawide screen, and this is surely expanding the horizontal perspective to bring you like dive into the game with the immersion and the presence with it.

"Also, when you have this wider horizontal perspective, you can see more enemies and also you can kind of find where you want to go, because the amount of information is actually just much more viewable."

Beyond improving the gameplay, Shinkawa discussed how ultrawide support makes the PC version of Death Stranding a more immersive and cinematic experience than the console one.

"So compared to the previous one, I could kind of say that you're kind of watching a TV drama in the previous game, but this time in the PC version it's more you get the impression that you're watching a movie at the cinema."

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure its Shinkawa who said that.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
It's amusing to see how many people can't be arsed to read that tiny quote and jump to frame rate stuff when he's plain obviously talking about the aspect ratio lol.

But yeah, can't wait. Game should look and feel bonkers at 21:9.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
That's interesting phrasing lol. I don't think it was meant that way, but kind of sounds like they are taking the piss on the PS4 version honestly.

edit: and yeah, I know it's about the ultra wide stuff, but still lol.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pretty sure 30fps on PS4 would feel more like a film, and 60+ on PC would feel comparatively like a soap opera.

Yes, I know that's not what they're getting at here. Genuinely surprised by the quote though.

Standard screen vs IMAX might have been a better comparison

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Wait... wouldn't that be the opposite?
Aspect ratio. Its right there in the short quote.

calculate-aspect-ratio.png

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I know he's talking about ultrawide support but it sounds like he's shitting all over the PS4 version.

OP
OP
Raigor

Raigor

May 14, 2020
What a clickbait title. Quote is in reference to ultra wide support.

Quotes are here

Beyond improving the gameplay, Shinkawa discussed how ultrawide support makes the PC version of Death Stranding a more immersive and cinematic experience than the console one.

"So compared to the previous one, I could kind of say that you're kind of watching a TV drama in the previous game, but this time in the PC version it's more you get the impression that you're watching a movie at the cinema."

"So compared to the previous one, I could kind of say that you're kind of watching a TV drama in the previous game" -> referring to PS4 version.

The quote is from VGC, not mine.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Quotes are here"So compared to the previous one, I could kind of say that you're kind of watching a TV drama in the previous game" -> referring to PS4 version.

The quote is from VGC, not mine.
Yeah, I read it. It's clear the quote is referring to the ultra wide support compared to the ps4 version's resolution.
And yes, the article's title is clickbait.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I've always found funny to think of him as an aspiring filmmaker "stuck" making games.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Wouldn't it be the other way around? PC is TV drama with 60fps+ while Console is more cinematic with 30fps HDR on a big TV.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

What are developers supposed to do? Not talk about the benefits of a PC build, when a PC build will inherently have benefits? Consoles are closed ecosystems with strict hardware limitations. More can be done on PC and is. If a game is mutliplatform that's going to be the reality by default. If the game is mutliplatform later then it's still going to be the reality.

Going by Digital Foundry's early look it's not even that much of a souped up port. It supports higher native resolutions, higher framerates, ultrawide aspect ratio, DLSS 2.0, and the ability to increase LOD rendering. Most of the other settings are reported to not really have a major impact on the image quality and it's hardly a night/day PC port anyway.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Between this and Eurogamer's "How Death Stranding PC delivers on Kojima Productions' original vision", the press are really outdoing themselves on the hyperbole.

It's a smoother framerate and a slightly wider aspect ratio. It's still the same game. The experience was most certainly not dependent on the game's image quality.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Ultrawide is indeed amazing. One of my favorite new features of recent PC gaming.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every game should support 21:9.

I hope next-gen consoles support it. I want more games to support it.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
No joke I wanna try playing this in ultrawide on my 16:9 monitor, downsampled from some super high resolution at 24fps

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
If the PC version isn't a better version, it's generally always due to incompetence.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe one day he can make a movie and finally get it out of his system