NextGen

Aug 5, 2024
variety.com

Video Game Legend Hideo Kojima Talks ‘Death Stranding’ Movie, Signing With WME for His Next Phase in Hollywood (EXCLUSIVE)

Video game legend Hideo Kojima discusses his 'Death Stranding' movie and his next phase in Hollywood after signing with WME.

At the same time, I wanted to do something new that wasn't "Death Stranding," so I teamed up with Microsoft to create "O.D." This is a game, but it's a game like no other. I can't go into too much detail, and it's also hard to explain, but it's a bit risky and a new challenge for me within the realm of games. There is also another project, "Physint," an espionage game, but it's still in the early concept stage. So first, I created a game IP as an indie company. This part is important, because no one believes me when I tell them I'm indies!

Also a bit about Death Stranding movie and reminding about Physint being worked on besides OD.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is a first party game as well right ? Wonder if MS is gonna want him to release on PS5 as well considering their recent switch to embracing PS5 releases.

Would probably help the sales quite a bit since a lot of fans are on PS.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Don't doubt KojiPro's ability to do it, just always hard to tell what the hell it'll look like or be lol.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Don't doubt KojiPro's ability to do it, just always hard to tell what the hell it'll look like or be lol.
It'll probably be at least partly like the leaked footage, which showed someone controlling a third-person character in a horror environment being played on a phone screen (remember OD is the "cloud native" game that Kojima wanted to make).

I think it's essentially going to be a spiritual successor to PT and what he wanted to do with Silent Hills.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It'll probably be at least partly like the leaked footage, which showed someone controlling a third-person character in a horrow environment being played on a phone screen (remember OD is the "cloud native" game that Kojima wanted to make).

I think it's essentially going to be a spiritual successor to PT and what he wanted to do with Silent Hills.
Well that sounds pretty great to me so I'll be looking on in anticipation, even if it's at the level of PT then I'll probs only be able to play a few hours of it haha

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
632347.jpg

634349.jpg

AmAsuT

"This guy are sick"
Jan 24, 2021
This is a first party game as well right ? Wonder if MS is gonna want him to release on PS5 as well considering their recent switch to embracing PS5 releases.

Wasn't OD supposed to use XCloud in some way? I don't believe XCloud is available on PS5 so It's not a matter of if they want and more of a if they can in the future.

Aug 17, 2024

2030 game at the earliest, was announced in January.
Holy shit I didn't know about that!! I don't care how long it takes, let this man and his team cook, this got me more hyped than anything new Mteal Gear Konami could possibly announce. I remember the announcement for O.D. but somehow I completely missed this one.

Late PS5 / PS6 era is going to be completely bonkers. Definitely excited for Death Stranding 2 and O.D. but the idea alone of 'Physint' catapults this to one of my most anticipated games.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Wasn't OD supposed to use XCloud in some way? I don't believe XCloud is available on PS5 so It's not a matter of if they want and more of a if they can in the future.
It's a cloud-native game. Xbox hired Kim Swift from Valve to lead their efforts on making cloud-native games and Kojima always wanted to make this game using the cloud.

Cloud-native doesn't necessarily mean that it's only playable over xCloud. Flight Sim is an example; you still download it to your console, but all the world map computations are run on the cloud. Obviously OD will be very different by virtue of its genre but it will use still use the cloud to aid in its design (in what ways, who knows).

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Holy shit I didn't know about that!! I don't care how long it takes, let this man and his team cook, this got me more hyped than anything new Mteal Gear Konami could possibly announce. I remember the announcement for O.D. but somehow I completely missed this one.

Late PS5 / PS6 era is going to be completely bonkers. Definitely excited for Death Stranding 2 and O.D. but the idea alone of 'Physint' catapults this to one of my most anticipated games.

It's a very easy sell as a concept.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
So...a third person action game with lots of cutscenes then?

Got it.

Didn't know there was a film for Death Stranding. With that and there being an Until Dawn film on the way, it gives me immense joy to think that, somewhere, David Cage has heard this news and is fuming. Just madder than he has ever been.

Aug 17, 2024
This whole Variety profile / interview is absolute gold. Here is more some highlights for 'Physint':

What does your timeline look like for getting these next games out, and producing the "Death Stranding" movie?

I have a personal, ideal timeline. But "Physint" will take some time to complete, and I also have a company and staff to look after. There is an indie studio called Kojima Productions in Japan. Though we may be indies, we can make games or even movies. From Japan to the world. That's what I want to prove first. But the rest of Japan doesn't necessarily feel that. The bigger companies feel like the safer bet. Since we have made a game, and we own the IP, we are free to expand it as we like. So, the third phase is movies and anime, and it'll be a new start. The possibilities are still endless with games. You can still make something completely new. Technology continues to advance, and the things you couldn't do yesterday you can do today. That's what makes it fun. I think in the future, there will be many things that are like a hybrid of movies and games. But of course, the business side of things are also important, so you have to time it right. I don't want to be in the red, but I don't concentrate on making big profits; I just want to be the first one to do something.

Yeeboh

Jul 3, 2024
It's a cloud-native game. Xbox hired Kim Swift from Valve to lead their efforts on making cloud-native games and Kojima always wanted to make this game using the cloud.

Cloud-native doesn't necessarily mean that it's only playable over xCloud. Flight Sim is an example; you still download it to your console, but all the world map computations are run on the cloud. Obviously OD will be very different by virtue of its genre but it will use still use the cloud to aid in its design (in what ways, who knows).
Flight sim would be implausible without their cloud tech, and it's still very much a 'game'. Kojima craziness combined with cloud craziness seems to be pairing that make sense. Let him unleash his chaos into the cloud.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

Kim Swift joined Xbox from Google Stadia.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea Kojima had two more games in development. Is OD the online/cloud game he wanted to make for a number of years now? and Physint being action-espionage is a positively surprising announcement

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now I wish I took a screenshot or downloaded the video...

www.resetera.com

Overdose (Kojima Productions) gameplay footage leaked (2 minutes and 30 seconds of indirect capturing by naked man) Rumor

https://exputer.com/news/games/hideo-kojima-overdose-footage-leaked/ https://streamable.com/qbtojo Kind of a ridiculous leak considering its someone using a phone to film another phone, which is playing a video filmed on a phone filming a (likely hidden) youtube video played on a laptop. The...

Here's the reveal trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzo7bQK91ZI

Truncated, but there you go, KojiPro is certifably indie.
Of course they are. By the literal definition they are.

Just like Insomniac was before being acquired. I know we like to equate indie to a certain look or budget for a game or whatnot but its just short for independent.

Last edited:

OhhEldenRing

Aug 14, 2024
So first, I created a game IP as an indie company. This part is important, because no one believes me when I tell them I'm indies!
I don't think it counts if you've got the backing of the biggest platform holder on the planet that's bankrolling you. They invested in the startup costs of KJP as far as I recall too.

Poor Kojima and the struggles of indie development.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait but not sure if I actually want to play it if it is like PT, lol.

This will 99% come to PlayStation as well, why are we even having this debate anymore?

SnakeEater

Oct 31, 2017

Wasn't OD somehow tied to the Cloud? Could be that its concept is not possible to be realised on PS and that's the main reason why he teamed up with MS?

Besiktas

Sep 2, 2024
I think OD won't be something big scale. I believe Kojima lost interest in SH type of experience after all drama but wanted to try his ideas at go with MS funding.
He seems super interested in this Physint thing , which I guess Sony willing to pay way more than what MS pays for OD

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Of course they are. By the literal definition they are.

Just like Insomniac was before being acquired. I know we like to equate indie to a certain look or budget for a game or whatnot but its just short for independent.

Would Valve technically count as an indie company? (Not a gotcha; a genuine question)