OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018
Ah... well i thought there were at least multiple options in the left opposition. I've read that about the uk greens too.

Lib Dems are on the side of "Trans Women have the right to exist, but TERFs have the right to express their opinion and not have consequences for it" So its much better than Keir's flat out transphobic crusade.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Profoundly tone deaf and irresponsible to ban a woman for justifiably using that word about a man for seeking to police trans women's very existence.

What the fuck is wrong with you, mods? You step on rakes like this for no reason whatsoever. You are why this place isn't safe and why it's bleeding members.

Ban all of us for meta commentary though I'm sure.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I don't have any numbers or anything but last I checked I'm fairly sure the general public doesn't actually really care much about this, it's the TERFs and right-wingers pushing it as part of their culture war like trans people represent the end times.

Polls of voter's important issues generally show it as a rounding error.

Depressing... I could "understand" it from a cold-hearted, calculated political viewpoint if polls suggested it was a key policy area. But as it is... I don't understand the straight up denial of trans rights like this.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Ah... well i thought there were at least multiple options in the left opposition. I've read that about the uk greens too.

Yeah, in general the Scottish Greens are better on progressivism like this, English/Welsh Greens less so. They've been two separate parties since 1990. It can broadly come down to who your local representative is. Fortunately, mine is pretty good on this.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Moderating in a binary fashion without due consideration for context or nuance is inadvisable in cases where alleviating if not nullifying context was made evident for the supposed violation. I declare it inadmissable in a court of law, and all that stuff.

People like Starmer arguing for restricting people's right to exist in public spaces is anti-democratic bigotry that opposes human rights. Politicians whining about stupid bullshit like this so they can pretend like they're doing something, when there are actual pressing problems that need to be addressed, is frustratingly idiotic. Stop making up and wasting time on non-issues at the behest of dumbass bigots throwing tantrums, and just let people go to the bathroom you heinous fucking turds.

If you can attach messaging along those lines to your vote somehow, please do.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Man, what is with the UK and their obsession with oppressing trans people?
It's fucking weird.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling across multiple threads; History of Trolling and Modwhining
Now we get to question whether the mods chose to action harshly because of the she/they angle or because the poster wasn't a cis woman. Wonderful.
seems like we need The Things tests, but for the c-word!

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Labour are no allies and this proves it.

Cannot claim this in good faith anymore. Unfortunately it won't stop some from defending this either in online discourse or the inevitable labour governent. None of the other parties are much better either. Trans people are under attack from all sides.

OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018
Labour are no allies and this proves it.

Cannot claim this in good faith anymore. Unfortunately it won't stop some from defending this either in online discourse or the inevitable labour governent. None of the other parties are much better either. Trans people are under attack from all sides.

It's so fucking strange that a senile old man "in charge" of America has more compassion and allyship than the entire UK government.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
It's fucking weird.

There aren't many TERFs in the UK but most of them have newspaper columns (from all political persuasions I might add).

Politicians see columnists views as the views of the public in general so will try to pander to their views.

Much of UK politics is driven by the insane brain worms of the UK media.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Could someone give me a rundown of what UK parties align with trans progressivism pls? I can guess the Greens would be, given their affiliation with the EGP but the rest is hard to parse from a quick look and i don't know where to start.
TUSC are pretty good when it comes to trans rights looking at their manifesto "● Full equality for LGBT people. Oppose transphobia, promote trans and non-binary rights. Support Gender Recognition Reform for all trans and non-binary people."

They actually had the best manifesto i've had through the post this past month or so out of any party.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
It's fucking weird.
The weird thing is this is a near-overnight about-face.

Even the Conservative government was, up until quite recently, generally progressive on trans issues, arguing for self ID. Being that it's a very small part of the population who are transgender, it was a "quiet" issue that nobody seemed bothered by in terms of national dialogue.

Then just two or three years ago it suddenly became this huge talking point in the rightwing (and then, sadly, centrist and leftwing) press, given rocketfuel by JK Rowling's obsession with the matter. Suddenly all this quiet progression was halted and everyone - conservative or not - fell into line on saying shit that basically amounted to "trans women aren't women".

Feb 24, 2018
It's fucking weird.
A mixture of decades of treating trans people as jokes, a gross lack of understanding biology that people like Rowling and Newspaper have taken advantage of (the same tactic used by the press during the MMR scare and when supported climate change denial), low-key transphobic policies throughout the 80s-00s and people like Rowling championing yet.

RomToggins

Jul 4, 2023
UK
The weird thing is this is a near-overnight about-face.

Even the Conservative government was, up until quite recently, generally progressive on trans issues, arguing for self ID. Being that it's a very small part of the population who are transgender, it was a "quiet" issue that nobody seemed bothered by in terms of national dialogue.

Then just two or three years ago it suddenly became this huge talking point in the rightwing (and then, sadly, centrist and leftwing) press, given rocketfuel by JK Rowling's obsession with the matter. Suddenly all this quiet progression was halted and everyone - conservative or not - fell into line on saying shit that basically amounted to "trans women aren't women".

Yeah I was thinking about this the other day. I remember not so long ago even Sunak talking at least neutrally if not outright supportively. I want to say Braverman was one of the first to really start pushing transphobic rhetoric as part of her efforts to drag the tories deeper into the culture wars, but I'm not certain.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Considering polls show that there is a real possibility that the UK will be the only "super power" left not sliding into alt right facism, the fact that even they will be openly transphobic really paints a bleak picture for trans people. I feel for you all.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
TUSC are pretty good when it comes to trans rights looking at their manifesto "● Full equality for LGBT people. Oppose transphobia, promote trans and non-binary rights. Support Gender Recognition Reform for all trans and non-binary people."

They actually had the best manifesto i've had through the post this past month or so out of any party.

Ty for the info!

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kier Starmer is a piece of shit who deserves to be called every bad word under the sun but hey let's tone police woman calling him the c-word. Truly YT levels of ridiculousness.

Guess Era is TERF friendly?

Bengraven