Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Doesn't Dr Dre use ghostwriters? Does he get a pass for that because he's a talented producer?

edited a footnote in that post. Drake claiming to be in the top 5 or in a Big 3 is what makes it as questionable.

The moment I knew this concert will be forever recorded in the annals of hip hop history. People in 30 years from now are still going to talk about Not Like Us

I'm only now just watching the entirety of that whole clip I posted. OMG they held that RRrrrrrrr for so long at the end lmaoooo

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
thanks for all the replies to my question <3 (sorry probably too many to quote back)

it's something I've half wondered about for ages.

Could be fascinating to see what this whole thing does to Drake's career

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It will never not be hilarious that Kendrick put out a diss track calling Drake a pedo and it's such a banger.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Based what I've seen you post you're more sad that Drake got bodied than Kendrick responding lol

I would've believed you if not for them posts you were making during the beef smh

Look, as a Toronto guy myself, I get it...

pretending-to-be-happy-hiding-crying-behind-a-mask-meme-template-8b71e.jpg

"Good track Kendrick lol, damn you got one with this, it's a hot track lol, you didn't have to do him like that though...haha I'm just playing, it's a hot tune but maybe we don't need to play it over and over, right, the beef is done so let's move on, just keeping it real...great track though..."

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Look, as a Toronto guy myself, I get it...

pretending-to-be-happy-hiding-crying-behind-a-mask-meme-template-8b71e.jpg

"Good track Kendrick lol, damn you got one with this, it's a hot track lol, you didn't have to do him like that though...haha I'm just playing, it's a hot tune but maybe we don't need to play it over and over, right, the beef is done so let's move on, just keeping it real...great track though..."
nah fuck that Drake deserves every bit of this. If the city catches an L its because they chose to make one artist it's entire identity, despite him having suspect behaviour for YEARS, than so be it. Drake repping Toronto internationally is fine and appreciated, but that doesn't mean it becomes the city's identity.

If anything stings, its Derozan on stage dancing to a diss track that has the lyrics "and im glad Deroz came home yall didn't deserve him neither" considering his history with the Raptors and the city. That one legit hurts.

But Drake? keep him in the fucking dirt. Hope the city wisens up and cuts ties, but I don't expect it. Just have to share embarrassment when he inevitably does something stupid again in the future.

Oct 28, 2017
nah fuck that Drake deserves every bit of this. If the city catches an L its because they chose to make one artist it's entire identity, despite him having suspect behaviour for YEARS, than so be it. Drake repping Toronto internationally is fine and appreciated, but that doesn't mean it becomes the city's identity.

If anything stings, its Derozan on stage dancing to a diss track that has the lyrics "and im glad Deroz came home yall didn't deserve him neither" considering his history with the Raptors and the city. That one legit hurts.

But Drake? keep him in the fucking dirt. Hope the city wisens up and cuts ties, but I don't expect it. Just have to share embarrassment when he inevitably does something stupid again in the future.

Still feeling it. Loved DeMar as a Raptor and wanted us to draft him from his college run.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It will never not be hilarious that Kendrick put out a diss track calling Drake a pedo and it's such a banger.

Honestly, and I think the concert last night showed this, the lingering message of Not Like Us is gonna be more about not rolling up on the West Coast if you can't back it up.

Like Outkast said in B.O.B. "Don't pull the thing out unless you plan to bang / Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something"

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, and I think the concert last night showed this, the lingering message of Not Like Us is gonna be more about not rolling up on the West Coast if you can't back it up.
Yep. There is a visceral hilarity between the contrast that the joy the song brings and the accusations against Drake. But the way it ultimately ends- on a message of Black resilience- all set to a catchy West Coast beat that anyone can dance to, along with the chorus of "they not like us," elevates the song to something of a togetherness anthem that anyone within the Black diaspora can jive with from an angle of regional pride.

Makoto Yuki

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Drake defenders must love taking L's. Reading shit like:

"He's overdoing it now. Drake's not even responding anymore...."
or
"True. I just wished Kendrick didn't respond. That's all."

Come on, Drake lost and totally deserves all the backlash, accept it, embrace it, don't try to dismiss it as "Oh man Kendrick is doing too much."

Drake asked for this and got what was coming to him.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Last night felt like the real funeral

Ngl I'm curious about the long term ramifications for Drake on this. Before I thought he'd make a few catchy songs and just skate by but he has to address it in some fashion eventually. The unbothered act is fooling no one

Jan 20, 2022

Ngl I'm curious about the long term ramifications for Drake on this. Before I thought he'd make a few catchy songs and just skate by but he has to address it in some fashion eventually. The unbothered act is fooling no one
I feel like Drake is dead in the rap scene. As a pop star, I'm sure he'll be fine (I've talked to people at work who only casually follow all this and they seem very unbothered by what's happened). I doubt there's anything he can do to win back the hip hop community so he might as well just pivot into full-blown pop-star

RoaminRonin

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Like Outkast said in B.O.B. "Don't pull the thing out unless you plan to bang / Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something"

This. Also Drake severely underestimated how much people hated him. He let that goat shit get to his head. Saying how he's more loved in LA than Kendrick. His ego got the best of him and he got taught a life lesson in front of millions of people. Seeing his buddy LeBron there must've stung hard.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I feel like Drake is dead in the rap scene. As a pop star, I'm sure he'll be fine (I've talked to people at work who only casually follow all this and they seem very unbothered by what's happened). I doubt there's anything he can do to win back the hip hop community so he might as well just pivot into full-blown pop-star

He can hide in reggaeton world doing ballads and hope Bad Bunny never gets bored, lol.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
After last night I can believe it

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Ngl I'm curious about the long term ramifications for Drake on this. Before I thought he'd make a few catchy songs and just skate by but he has to address it in some fashion eventually.

What part of Kendrick mounting a thousand-strong "Fuck Drake" army lead you to that conclusion?

Jul 18, 2018

There's always going to be grifters and people who don't care for Kendrick. Those people will collab with Drake. Ruined his "legacy" for hip hop historians? Yes. His music legacy? No. If a tune bops, it bops and that's all casual listeners and mainstream radio cares about

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago

Honestly, I kind of see Drake in R. Kelly's position. Not nearly as awful since R was literally caught on tape having sex with a minor but public perception wise a gang of people, even a lot of casuals, are going to have some association between Drake and creepy perversion towards underage girls.

Thing is, even after R. Kelly got caught he still had chart topping hits and collaborations with some of the most popular acts in the music industry despite everyone mocking him for being a pedo. Drake will inevitably have future hits and collabs with some up and coming act or an artist who will view the disses as trash talk. I do think he will have to somewhat switch up his subject matter and he can't really do that hard rap shit no more, but otherwise he will be about as ok as any mainstream musician who is approaching 40 years old and has been one of most popular acts in the industry for nearly 15 years.

But his ego is taking a legendary beating. With all his historic success he should be at the point where he is totally satisfied regardless of public opinion, but he has ALWAYS wanted that true respect from the hip hop crowd and it kills him that he has never gotten it and Kendrick does. Now not only has that crowd doubled down on the mockery, some of his public friends/acquaintances are dancing to him being called a pedo. This shit is killing him no matter what he says.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Drake defenders must love taking L's. Reading shit like:

"He's overdoing it now. Drake's not even responding anymore...."
or
"True. I just wished Kendrick didn't respond. That's all."

Come on, Drake lost and totally deserves all the backlash, accept it, embrace it, don't try to dismiss it as "Oh man Kendrick is doing too much."

Drake asked for this and got what was coming to him.

Drake stans struggling to cope after calling him a "GOAT-tier rapper"...

www.resetera.com

In the pantheon of great rappers in what tier is Drake.

I'm not what you call a Drake fan but I don't hate him either he's kinda just there to me. 1 because I'm old and 3 because my arms are still firmly in a straps of a backpack. Anyway I would like to know what the folks think. I hear he's GOAT tier to some and trash to others but I dismiss both...

Oct 25, 2017
We are witnessing some Milli Vanilli levels of destruction here.

Drake's pop culture relevance will never be the same. He may still have a decent hit or two in the future, but going forward he's transitioning to a nostalgia act. The youth of today are going to perceive him lame af. He's outside of their conversation now. Time of a Vegas residency, Drake. You had an incredible run.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
We are witnessing some Milli Vanilli levels of destruction here.

Drake's pop culture relevance will never be the same. He may still have a decent hit or two in the future, but going forward he's transitioning to a nostalgia act. The youth of today are going to perceive him lame af. He's outside of their conversation now. Time of a Vegas residency, Drake. You had an incredible run.

I mean, it kind of depends on if Drake continues to be white people's favorite rapper.

This was a far bigger public execution than what Pusha T did, but Drake really is that weird ass anomaly where his career is only going to truly crater when his white fanbase drops him lol

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it kind of depends on if Drake continues to be white people's favorite rapper.
I've had this in my head for awhile, specifically within the context of Drakeheads and "fence sitters" saying this moment doesn't matter because Drake is still financially more successful than Kendrick is, and that financial success is because he's a more palatable artist for white people. Like... yeah, that's literally a sticking point of the beef. We know your boy a house nigga; thank you for agreeing with us.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder that Drake did this to himself. Not only due to having an incredibly long and well documented questionable history but because he also literally called Kendrick out on a track using AI Tupac voice over (which, second reminder, Kendrick is actually close with Tupac's family and Tupac's estate specifically had a cease and desist made so Drake was forced to take that song down to them not liking the fact that Drake used the AI Tupac voice over as a way to bait Kendrick) on Taylor Made Freestyle -- "You tryna let this shit die down. Nah, nah, nah, not this time n-, you followin through. I guess you need another week to figure out how to improve. What the fuck is taking so long? We waiting on you."

For me it was all the "Drop, Drop, Drop" shit in his diss, and the "This shit gotta be over by now for anyone out here that's calling it right?"

And finally Drake repeating "Ya dead!, Ya DEAD!"

I mean, Drake was REALLY feeling himself, and those were good tracks, but you can't speak like that to a mfer that you know damn well might be able to eviscerate you lyrically. Kendrick fucking cooked his ass, and Drake was impossibly confident, this L aint ever gonna wash out, just go buy a whole new person at this point. But whether or not that matters career wise is up in the air. I wouldn't hold my breath.

This was a far bigger public execution than what Pusha T did, but Drake really is that weird ass anomaly where his career is only going to truly crater when his white fanbase drops him lol

Yeah the people saying that Drake's career will be over or never recover are showing the same type of overconfidence that drake showed. There's a distinct possibility that the goofy canadian rapper (thats been on top of the charts for years) will STAY on top of the charts even after the world is reminded that... hes goofy. Not much here is news, and the guy is a good song architect. If he puts out music that makes people dance, they may not give a shit.

The same portion of the culture that will never fuck with him again after this, likely haven't fucked with him for years now.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Ya dead! Ya Dead! is still the funniest line to me.
Could have easily edited that out, but to me it was his famous last words. Heart part 6 sounded like drake already body deep in quicksand.

He will be fine career wise if he pivots right but yeah this is unparalleled. Not Like Us is a pop song. i don't even know what to say

Salty AF

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Drake has control and choice, he chose this.

I know. But I'm making an reference to the Milli Vanilli meltdown and comparing the ghostwriting with Drake. When people found out Milli Vanilli never sung a single word on their albums they were immediately toast. But I'm old so I remember things like this.

RoaminRonin

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Drakes career will be fine I think. He'll just never get the respect from the legends which is what he really wanted. Seeing a legend like Dre on stage setting up "not like us" knocked down his ego down a few notches. Be humble.