IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
latest

Source: EW

Entering the Star Wars universe was nothing like she expected. "It's funny; I had thought that Star Wars sets would be chaotic because I know obviously it's a huge fan base, and they all have opinions and things, and I had heard rumors as well that the sets were crazy and stuff was just changing all the time," O'Brian explains. "But I don't know if it's because of streaming or if [series creator] Jon Favreau just got it on lockdown or what the deal is, but Mandalorian was pretty seamless. It doesn't feel chaotic. It feels effortless. I know it's not, but it feels effortless. Everybody just works together really well, and I think they do their best to keep it like a family."

Not long after, O'Brian joined another major Hollywood franchise — the Marvel Cinematic Universe — as Jentorra in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, which was a completely different experience. "Yeah, that was absolutely chaotic," she says with a laugh. "I think we were getting new pages until the last day, and I think I was getting new fights the last day. I just show up, and they're like, here's a new fight." Still, O'Brian stresses that the people she worked with couldn't have been more "lovely." "I thought me being this kind of like newbie, they might, I don't know, either ignore me or I would just feel out of place, but they just always made it as welcoming as possible. I was surprised by that environment," she explains.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I feel like that kind of thing happens with a lot of MCU films, and a lot of big budget films in general. It's definitely not the greatest thing in the world, but it also doesn't inherently mean the film will be bad. It's that those new pages were always poor writing, and the new fights were always lame.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising at all. Marvel's pretty famous for rewrites and late notice FX changes.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I feel like that kind of thing happens with a lot of MCU films, and a lot of big budget films in general. It's definitely not the greatest thing in the world, but it also doesn't inherently mean the film will be bad. It's that those new pages were always poor writing, and the new fights were always lame.
I mean it kind of does, I've seen stunt men complain that they only had a couple of weeks, to choreograph and train the actors. You just can't get great scenes in that short a time. Do you think the matrix action scenes were done in such a short time?

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it kind of does, I've seen stunt men complain that they only had a couple of weeks, to choreograph and train the actors. You just can't get great scenes in that short a time. Do you think the matrix action scenes were done in such a short time?
The Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike fight in XMen 2 took 2 weeks to film allegedly

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
She's about to blow up from Love Lies Bleeding and Marvel wasted her on THIS.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike fight in XMen 2 took 2 weeks to film allegedly
Did they keep changing the fight, adding new scenes, changing characters and expecting to fix it all with CG? I don't think the tech even existed back then to output CG quick enough to make films in the crazy breakneck pace that Marvel is crapping out films.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Could be me, but Quantumania felt like the most messy of all the MCU films. Something about that movie just... Felt off. I left the theater and felt nothing... And I generally love practically everything in the MCU.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Creative works that are being adjusted and critiqued by committee until the last minute are never more than middling at best.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
If this is the norm then that doesn't seem like a healthy norm. That sounds incredibly stressful to prepare for in one working day.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine not knowing what movie you are making up until the literal last moment. Like typing prompts into an AI generator.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In all fairness…this describes the entirety of the MCU, and more than likely a lot of films you liked.

I know that most things are burdened by this process, and as someone who works in a creative field it's a daily problem. I know it's just a reality of the process, but it shows in the work.

I'll never not be mad that the people who control these workflows refuse to see how damaging it is when compared to something with a real vision being executed by a select few leaders.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this normal? Writers are usually on set to adapt and solve problems as they come up on set during production.