• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The disrespect for the greatest rapper and producer of all time is crazy.

tenor.gif

(I agree with you)

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't his first time meeting with Trump. He did also right after the election. The man who called Mexicans rapists and murderers. The man who mocked a disabled reporter. The man admitted to sexually assaulting women. The man who has assembled the most homophobic, racist, sexist, xenophobic, anti-science western government in modern times. But ya know, Dragon Energy.

As for Kanye himself, a few of his notable events: Wearing and selling merch with the Confederate flag on it to "appropriate" it, but also because "It's super-'hood and super-white-boy-approved at the same time." Tweeting BILL COSBY INNOCENT" because I guess 50+ accusers must all be wrong. Saying that he was being discriminated against in the fashion world for "not being gay", etc.

I'm not gonna bother listing the couple Kanye songs I liked because I don't need to pass a test to prove a point.

He's been toying with / remixing dangerous / violent stuff for a long time. He's a provocateur. There are so many other things worth so much more time to channel that anger towards. Putting Kanye as a proxy for Trump is really the height of distraction.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having never liked anything Kanye has done, it's funny watching people react to his usual bullshit as if it's crazy now because of the Trump stuff. Kanye has always been terrible, and if he hadn't praised Trump his followers would still be praising his every move.

Lol, even with his trump remarks he still has a defense force. The amount of glorification of this clown is incredible.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
He's been toying with / remixing dangerous / violent stuff for a long time. He's a provocateur. There are so many other things worth so much more time to channel that anger towards. Putting Kanye as a proxy for Trump is really the height of distraction.
Luckily I can do more than one thing at a time.

And being "provocateur" is so lame I don't even know where to begin. I could care less if it's all for the PR, if he really believes it, or a combination of the two. And neither tragedy nor mental illness is a valid excuse for doing so either. Many people experience both throughout our lives, it's not a blank cheque to be a moron.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't consider mental illness just "an excuse"

As far as I know no one here is a doctor that can make a diagnosis based on a picture. And I never said mental health is not a serious issue, but it's disingenuous to dismiss his behavior as merely mental health issues and once he sees a therapist Kanye will be cool again.
As I said before, he's an ass, he's always been one. This is just the latest in a long line. People are willing to forgive it because he made music they liked.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He is so damn good at playing the media and his fans.

What's the point of doing this if that's what he's doing? I'm sure a lot of people who liked him stopped fucking with him even those who might just play his music casually. He alienated a lot of his friends who are on the left. His new fans coming from the right don't even fuck with his kind of music like that so what is the point of trolling at the end of the day?

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I feel like people who say that Kanye is trolling has to know that there is acceptable trolling up to a point. Kanye went over that bridge then burnt the bridge.

Oct 30, 2017
Luckily I can do more than one thing at a time.

And being "provocateur" is so lame I don't even know where to begin. I could care less if it's all for the PR, if he really believes it, or a combination of the two. And neither tragedy nor mental illness is a valid excuse for doing so either. Many people experience both throughout our lives, it's not a blank cheque to be a moron.

What PR do you think he is getting out of this? Your "take" involves some sort of planning. What is he gaining from this

(Edit) Re-read. You have multiple reasons. Apologies.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uh.. really? You never get over an immediate family member's death.
People react differently to death, his mom died at a time where he was really starting to blow up, you would need a anchor to deal with the stress, his anchor died when she didnt have to on top of that around that time his fiance broke it off. Thats alot to deal with on top of the pressure. So I can understamd him never having the time to fully process it

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Kanye isn't trolling (aside from Lift Yourself which is the definition of a troll, but that was directed at Ebro and nobody else). His admiration for trump and alt-right figures has nothing to do with policy, it's a genuine inspiration he feels from seeing brash and controversial figures (much like himself) receive popularity and refuse to change their beliefs, no matter how shitty. That's all it is. Now that's really fucking stupid and I'm not defending him, I would just rather see him get criticized for the stupid shit he's actually doing than the stupid shit that he isn't doing.

Oct 30, 2017
You're joking right? This isn't a serious post.

"Hey everyone, here's a ton of offensive stuff! But like I love everyone! PS Here's my new songs, album dropping soon."

K. I actually apologized because I thought there was more nuance to your argument but how is it good PR to piss off your entire fan base?

Also I don't think it's mental illness but it's pretty messed up to be so dismissive of mental illness. That's a very weird thing to not care about.

DHARMA PUNX

Banned
Mar 22, 2018
As far as I know no one here is a doctor that can make a diagnosis based on a picture. And I never said mental health is not a serious issue, but it's disingenuous to dismiss his behavior as merely mental health issues and once he sees a therapist Kanye will be cool again.
As I said before, he's an ass, he's always been one. This is just the latest in a long line. People are willing to forgive it because he made music they liked.
"Forgive him"...? For what? The man did nothing wrong. You should be thanking him, as you're all indebted to him for all the phenomenal music he has gifted us with over his terrific career. Show some respect and gratitude.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Because you keep saying he's a provacateur or whatever but you don't realize that it's the same thing as a attention starved celebrity.

Unless you think those were done to make people think about society through an extreme context and push society's envelope.
I mean, Kanye's definitely making a point about identity politics and how you shouldn't be afraid not to box yourself into a certain political point of view just because you feel pressured to fall in as a republican or democrat. he's just being an obnoxious attention whore while making that point

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kanye could be mentally ill and an asshole, you can be both. What I want to ask the people claiming that he is playing the media to promote his album is why? He is already popular and his album was gonna sell anyway so why go through all this bullshit if it's just a publicity stunt, why risk this amount of negativity?

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The impact of his Mom's death becomes more apparent as time goes on. It's no surprise we lost him, Kanye West died with Donda.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is maundering and mouldering . This usually happens before you shoot someone. After you've given a speech about how everything is ok. Then you scream how nothing will ever be ok again, then shoot.

watching a black man self destruct live is entertaining though.

I just came back from a Ban........

How has he changed the game? What even warrants changing the game? I can't stand today's rap so Kanye sounds like a top 3 rapper thanks to that alone but I'm not really sure what he has done that changed the game.

With the album being finished so much for therapy through msuic cause you can't really explain his recent actions. Though for sake of reference I ran a Google search for the thread from the down the block when his mom died. Made for an interesting read with what people were saying back then but also wow that was 2007 and this is still affecting him to this degree? That's troubling.

Kanye West is Objectively and Subjectively the most influential Rapper since 2008.

Kanye West is just a fucking coon.

It means uncle Tom ass nigga

Coon has a different meaning when black people say it. Bit like when when we say nigga

What they said.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People react differently to death, his mom died at a time where he was really starting to blow up, you would need a anchor to deal with the stress, his anchor died when she didnt have to on top of that around that time his fiance broke it off. Thats alot to deal with on top of the pressure. So I can understamd him never having the time to fully process it
You're not wrong, but like why is it that he acts out like this conveniently around the same time he's about to sell a new album.

Do we not remember Kanye tweeting out "Bill Cosby is innocent" before TLOP? Was his mother's death responsible for that stunt too?

Last edited:

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Yeah people keep saying this but never say why

I can say how Nas, Biggie and Wu-Tang changed the game. I can say how Jay-Z or NWA changed the game. But no one can tell me how Kanye was influential. Why because he is a rapper/producer?
His approach to production is incredibly influential... His actual lyrical style though? I'm not sure how anyone can say he's been influential. Drake has had a far bigger impact from that aspect but that's a debate for a different thread.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah people keep saying this but never say why

I can say how Nas, Biggie and Wu-Tang changed the game. I can say how Jay-Z or NWA changed the game. But no one can tell me how Kanye was influential. Why because he is a rapper/producer?

Where can I start..Kanye produced most of the major hits for Jay-Z. Which went on to me defined as the Jay-Z sound. A lot of the influence from the Roc was made on the backbones of Kanye's beats. He also debunked the myth that a Producer couldn't be a Good Rapper. He single-handedly changed the course of Hip Hop popularizing introverted lyrics and perfecting the lane in which Rappers that fell out of the Gangsta Rap persona could thrive in. His use of 808s, auto tune, Singing Rap and melancholic atmospheres in Rap went on to inspire Drake, Kid Cudi, Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole and Big KRIT who all cite Kanye as a Major Influence. He resurrected the careers of John Legend, Common and countless others. He made Nerds feel like we had a place in rap. Suddenly it was cool to rap about Video Games, Anime and cartoons because Kanye made it cool to be a backpack rapper.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Where can I start..Kanye produced most of the major hits for Jay-Z. Which went on to me defined as the Jay-Z sound. A lot of the influence from the Roc was made on the backbones of Kanye's beats. He also debunked the myth that a Producer couldn't be a Good Rapper. He single-handedly changed the course of Hip Hop popularizing introverted lyrics and perfecting the lane in which Rappers that fell out of the Gangsta Rap persona could thrive in. His use of 808s, auto tune, Singing Rap and melancholic atmospheres in Rap went on to inspire Drake, Kid Cudi, Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole and Big KRIT who all cite Kanye as a Major Influence. He resurrected the careers of John Legend, Common and countless others. He made Nerds feel like we had a place in rap. Suddenly it was cool to rap about Video Games, Anime and cartoons because Kanye made it cool to be a backpack rapper.
Producers have been good rappers for years before Kanye west. Daz Dillenger from Dogg Pound, Havoc from Mobb Deep, RZA from Wu-Tang, Q-Tip from Tribe Called Quest. People forget that Just Blaze made the Roc sound way before Kanye. Auto Tone and Singing rap imo is lame. The people he influenced doubly so, but I can say that with out trolling because that style is wack to me. I grew up on hardcore hip hop, so hearing auto tune and singing in rap music hurts my damn soul. Talib Kweli, Common and Mos Def, hell tribe called quest made it cool to be a backpack hip hop rapper before Kanye.

He's the greatest rapper out of Chicago, I'll give you that.