• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Good night fellow humans, life is wayyyy too short to sit here arguing for the sake of nothing - peace
There is no argument. You respect someone with idiotic beliefs. It's incredibly stupid.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree or disagree, what I respect Kayne West for is the fact he speaks his own views and won't back down from his views under pressure from anyone.

That's something which is rare these days
But that's exactly what Kanye's doing here. He's narcissistic to a fault and can't stand even the slightest criticism, so he retreats to those willing to stroke his ego and tell him he's great instead. In this case, people like Trump. This ain't anything close to a brave stance. It's the cowardice you claim to despise. There's nothing respectable in it whatsoever.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Agree or disagree, what I respect Kayne West for is the fact he speaks his own views and won't back down from his views under pressure from anyone.

When you grow up a little you'll realize this is not something inherently respectable. Backing down on views shouldn't be about pressure but about fucking facts and Kanye doesn't seem like he's too good at those.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017

Nah what's truly rare is for people to say they're sorry and actually mean it. It's incredibly common and trite for people to double down when they're obviously wrong these days. I have no respect for these people. Being the bigger and better person is about being introspective, having the courage to admit you were wrong, and trying to do better.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol my friend sent me that performance art thing too. I keep telling him it's only gonna get harder to justify his actions but he holds on.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

First of all, they aren't his views. It's shallow bullshit he heard elsewhere and parrots because he can't be bothered (or is too stupid) to do his own critical thinking.

Second, that's not something deserving of respect. Being proudly and stubbornly ignorant is not worthy of respect.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That's the old George W. Bush "praise" he'd get; "Even in the face of insurmountable evidence, he never changes his mind, such strength!"

And if it is all "performance" and he actually isn't a Trump supporter or supporter of the alt-right people he's praised, which I HIGHLY doubt his only underlying point would be "look how we attack people we don't agree with, we should LOVE instead!"

Which is about as cliche as it gets, and a straw man as well.. people aren't attacked because "we disagree" they are attacked for what the disagreement is about; which tends to boil down to racism or human rights.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, they aren't his views. It's shallow bullshit he heard elsewhere and parrots because he can't be bothered (or is too stupid) to do his own critical thinking.

Second, that's not something deserving of respect. Being proudly and stubbornly ignorant is not worthy of respect.
Indeed. Like, that's literally what he's doing. It's not up for debate. Like several pages back, when he tweeted out a fake Harriet Tubman quote he saw someone post and couldn't be bothered to verify it or do any thinking of his own or anything. He just copy+pasted and tweeted it out himself, without any level of though or anything. Absolutely nothing about that deserves respect. Nothing.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, Kaufman, really?

Kanye might be the musical GOAT, but he isn't fucking pulling an Andy Kaufman.

And if he is, I'll eat my hat, crow, and some humble pie.

This isn't some 7-dimensional mancala game Kanye is playing with media. Kanye's just had the fortune to be considered a genius and sometimes be right. "Yeezus" can be interpreted as a rant against modern consumerism, excess, whatever, but it's the product of a guy that was salty the fashion world wouldn't let him in.

FullMetalx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honest question and I'm not trying to be insensitive, but will slavery ever be forgiven? As in what is the end goal? Can anything be done to amend for it? Compensation, history books, etc.? We can't go back in time. I'm just wondering if 500 years from now will there still be a grudge for it

This question probably applies to many atrocious acts in human history - holocaust, diseasing the Native americans, etc.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Honest question and I'm not trying to be insensitive, but will slavery ever be forgiven? As in what is the end goal? Can anything be done to amend for it? Compensation, history books, etc.? We can't go back in time. I'm just wondering if 500 years from now will there still be a grudge for it

This question probably applies to many atrocious acts in human history - holocaust, diseasing the Native americans, etc.
America has spent centuries choosing not only to not learn from it but also to deny it and continue to abuse people of color in a myriad of ways. Atrocities against black Americans aren't even limited to just that moment in US history (Black Wall Street massacre, Tuskegee Syphylis Experiment, etc) As long as systematic racism and oppression exists, the shadow of Antebellum will loom large. Hell, it shouldn't be forgiven in the first place. I don't and won't forgive the kidnapping of my ancestors from Africa, their rape, abuse and murder at the hands of white America, even if true equality is somehow achieved within my lifetime and every slave ancestor in the US is given enough money to dwarf the 1%. The area people get stuck at though is that they think this means black people want vengeance or perpetual white guilt when what we really want is a reminder of what the US has been and what it can be if people aren't careful. Modern Germany makes that goal a national creed when it comes to the Holocaust and the US is barely able to get that far in the first place.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why don't you do some light research on what Germany has done in regards to their holocaust legacy first.
Friend of mine mentioned it as well. Turns out the Metal Gear Carnival of Stupid wasn't that unique a phenomenon!
It's super predictable at this point and it's always the same talking points too.

Oct 27, 2017
America has spent centuries choosing not only to not learn from it but also to deny it and continue to abuse people of color in a myriad of ways. Atrocities against black Americans aren't even limited to just that moment in US history (Black Wall Street massacre, Tuskegee Syphylis Experiment, etc) As long as systematic racism and oppression exists, the shadow of Antebellum will loom large. Hell, it shouldn't be forgiven in the first place. I don't and won't forgive the kidnapping of my ancestors from Africa, their rape, abuse and murder at the hands of white America, even if true equality is somehow achieved within my lifetime and every slave ancestor in the US is given enough money to dwarf the 1%. The area people get stuck at though is that they think this means black people want vengeance or perpetual white guilt when what we really want is a reminder of what the US has been and what it can be if people aren't careful. Modern Germany makes that goal a national creed when it comes to the Holocaust and the US is barely able to get that far in the first place.

i'm not saying i disagree with you. but man, even mandela preached forgiveness. "forgiveness liberates the soul. it removes fear. that is why it is such a powerful weapon."
he even talks about taking anger and hatred with you as though imprisoning yourself in your mind. "As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison."
which is kinda topical now, cause its in a similar vein to the shit kanye was talking about on that slavery bullshit tip.

and theres that other old saying about 'holding on to resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die'. easier said than though for sure.

FullMetalx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why don't you do some light research on what Germany has done in regards to their holocaust legacy first.
It's super predictable at this point and it's always the same talking points too.
I mean anti semitism is still alive and well in Germany...not only that but I don't think the two situations are completely relatable. Jewish people essentially left Germany for other countries. Germany is remorseful, but come on...is that really worth much if not many live there anyways?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be forgiven the US and white people would have to try to be forgiven, by elevating and actually caring about black Americans. It's not so much as it can never be forgiven, as it is we haven't been trying hard enough to reach for it.

This is just a white guys opinion though.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i'm not saying i disagree with you. but man, even mandela preached forgiveness. "forgiveness liberates the soul. it removes fear. that is why it is such a powerful weapon."
he even talks about taking anger and hatred with you as though imprisoning yourself in your mind. "As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison."
which is kinda topical now, cause its in a similar vein to the shit kanye was talking about on that slavery bullshit tip.

and theres that other old saying about 'holding on to resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die'. easier said than though for sure.
It's easier and best to forgive if shit actually got fixed. Like EdibleKnife said, America has spent over a hundred years choosing not to learn from it, and have denied it, or said it wasn't as bad or sweep it under the rug. Slavery* ended with the Civil War, but that doesn't mean that black communities weren't visited by malice and racism since then. There are still communities all over the country with schools and streets named after those who fought for the South or statues erected in their honor. When these places are renamed or the statues torn down, we get a lot of people crying about it. That's not how those who are apologetic should act. They shouldn't throw a fit when symbols of hate are struck down.

And we're not even getting into systemic racism that is still being dealt with today.

*The 13th Amendment allows slavery if you are imprisoned.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

Technically true (via Reuters ongoing polling), but it's not an unforeseen fluctuation if you check the history of the polling data with African Americans, which looks a bit like a sine wave (also their web app doesn't appear to have error information so it could just be sampling error).

Deleted member 9145

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Technically true (via Reuters ongoing polling), but it's not an unforeseen fluctuation if you check the history of the polling data with African Americans, which looks a bit like a sine wave (also their web app doesn't appear to have error information so it could just be sampling error).

Stans still gonna defend him tho right?

fuck everyone defending that cunt

fuck his platform

discredit him entirely

he wants to be white so fucking bad

Kanye.jpg

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah Mandela preached forgiveness but Mandela doesn't speak for the entirety of the race and our experience. Black souls are already liberated because they already want to move on. Black people want to be way past racism and oppression but it's not their lack of forgiveness that holds back our society. Say all black people decided to "forgive" the US for slavery and literally every other atrocity committed against them to this moment in time. Then what? What has changed other than some nebulous nonsense about being rid of bitterness. Our skin will still make us targets for bigots. Our communities will still be overpoliced. Our politicians will still use us as scapegoats. White supremacists won't be going anywhere. So what tangible benefit did "forgiveness" gain black people? That we feel a little bit better while a foot remains on our face?

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

What about all the people who speak of their not racist, ignorant, bigoted, homophobic views? Are those people not to be respected because their views are not controversial enough?

Oct 25, 2017
Hated Kanye before, absolutely loathe the man right now.

This "free thinking" rubbish has me salty af, they can't even see he's dancing under Owens.
He's a bloody parrot.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Mandela preached forgiveness but Mandela doesn't speak for the entirety of the race and our experience. Black souls are already liberated because they already want to move on. Black people want to be way past racism and oppression but it's not their lack of forgiveness that holds back our society. Say all black people decided to "forgive" the US for slavery and literally every other atrocity committed against them to this moment in time. Then what? What has changed other than some nebulous nonsense about being rid of bitterness. Our skin will still make us targets for bigots. Our communities will still be overpoliced. Our politicians will still use us as scapegoats. White supremacists won't be going anywhere. So what tangible benefit did "forgiveness" gain black people? That we feel a little bit better while a foot remains on our face?

well, i think it someone hurts you, and you carry around that hurt with you, they are still hurting you. they are still controlling you. you drop that hurt, thats one less aspect that they have power over you. its not about solving the problem. its about liberating yourself from one aspect of power they have over you.

do you know what i mean? even viktor frankl forgave his captors to an extent. you cant even do shit to him because he controls his mind. he controls his thoughts. not you. and he's not going to give that power to someone else to leave that pain within him.

like gandhi said "the weak can never forgive. forgiveness is the attribute of the strong". i'm nowhere near as eloquent as gandhi or mandela but i think i understand what they were saying. its more about you, than the person whos hurt you tbh.

it absolutely doesnt mean you dont take action. or that it fixes things. but its about taking power away from someone who has hurt you. just not allowing them to have power over you, over your mind. fuck, even the buddha talks about that shit i think. letting go of your suffering.

anyways, easier said than done.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well, i think it someone hurts you, and you carry around that hurt with you, they are still hurting you. they are still controlling you. you drop that hurt, thats one less aspect that they have power over you. its not about solving the problem. its about liberating yourself from one aspect of power they have over you..

This is stupid. Some problems cannot be ignored. Systemic racism cannot be ignored. You can't be liberated from that power without recognizing it, seeing its effects, and then combating it.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean anti semitism is still alive and well in Germany...not only that but I don't think the two situations are completely relatable. Jewish people essentially left Germany for other countries. Germany is remorseful, but come on...is that really worth much if not many live there anyways?
I'm not making a comparison here, I'm drawing your attention to what other countries do in this field. The holocaust and slavery aren't issues of 'forgiveness', there is no end goal in this sense. The 'end goal' is for such events to never happen again. Compensation and education as you mention should be the bare minimum which the U.S. don't seem to take seriously. Asking if anything can be done is ludicrous, there's so much they could be doing. There is no finish line when you don't even start the race.

Mar 10, 2018
well, i think it someone hurts you, and you carry around that hurt with you, they are still hurting you. they are still controlling you. you drop that hurt, thats one less aspect that they have power over you. its not about solving the problem. its about liberating yourself from one aspect of power they have over you.

do you know what i mean? even viktor frankl forgave his captors to an extent. you cant even do shit to him because he controls his mind. he controls his thoughts. not you. and he's not going to give that power to someone else to leave that pain within him.

like gandhi said "the weak can never forgive. forgiveness is the attribute of the strong". i'm nowhere near as eloquent as gandhi or mandela but i think i understand what they were saying. its more about you, than the person whos hurt you tbh.

it absolutely doesnt mean you dont take action. or that it fixes things. but its about taking power away from someone who has hurt you. just not allowing them to have power over you, over your mind. fuck, even the buddha talks about that shit i think. letting go of your suffering.

Forgiveness comes AFTER reparations are made. Once America openly acknowledges its own wrongdoings, and actively takes the necessary steps to right those wrongs, THEN we can start talking about forgiveness.

If someone were to kidnap your entire family and run off to a different country, would you forgive them as you see them sailing off in the distance? Or would you withhold that forgiveness until the perpetrator is found, returns your family, and apologizes?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

How are black peoples "controlled" by slavery though? The problem with this "forgiveness" mindset is that you haven't shown evidence of it being a benefit or how not forgiving slavery is a detriment. What is the tangible manifestation of this idea that white bigots are somehow manipulating black behavior because we won't forgive slavery? We already fight and die for our rights. We already preach peace and try to attempt to live in harmony. Our mental, spiritual and emotional states aren't affected by our not forgiving slavery but by the oppression we experience on a daily basis. Living by that creed of forgive every slight would be fine if it lined up one to one with literally every situation in the human experience but doesn't hold up when comparing forgiving a withholding mother to forgiving the man who raped and killed your child. It doesn't hold up when comparing forgiving a burglar to forgiving a person determined to torture and murder you. And it doesn't hold up when comparing forgiving an abusive ex to centuries of you and your ancestors being raped, abused, lynched, experimented on, sterilized, castrated, derided, spit on oppressed and ignored simply for having dark skin.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
its not about ignoring the problems. you literally quoted me saying that.
You are correct. My bad. I guess my issue is that most of us don't have any ill will towards modern white Americans. We know that they are not the ones who created the system, however, it is a system that they benefit from. We are angry, disheartened, and other negative states, but you don't realize that while we are passionate about the issues, it is not something that eats away at us. We largely do not get toxic about it. We're not calling for the deaths of millions due to the color of their skin.

HierArch

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Yeah Mandela preached forgiveness but Mandela doesn't speak for the entirety of the race and our experience.

I agree that Mandela doesn't speak for all black people. But you do? Stop presenting your arguments like you're speaking for all of us. There are plenty of African Americans that don't live each day feeling like White America owes us something. You just don't hear from us as much as you should because we typically get shouted down and get coonified.