Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
UPDATE: Just found out that she stole the fucking bird, over a month ago.

I made a thread about this before

but long story short

1. there was a day where I was sobbing. My friend, let's call her A, was like "I'll come over." She told me she was with friend B and I'm like that's fine let friend B come too.

2. Friend A and B come and they pass by my neighbor's birds. One of the 3 birds has feathers missing but there's many possible reasons as to why the bird's feathers are like that. Friend B immediately assumes neglect and abuse and

3. Friend B asks me to text my neighbor asking if they're for sale and also "jokingly" kept asking if she could just open the cage and let the birds free.

4. I eventually text my neighbor and ask if the birds are for sale and they say no. I tell my friend and she nonchalantly reveals that she called animal control behind my back. Luckily the first call is discreet so the neighbors didn't suspect anything.

5. when I find that out I become furious. She apologizes and says that she was just paranoid, that she's sorry, etc.

I thought it was done. Big mistake

6. Today I find out that in the past week she called animal control 2 more times and they took my neighbor's birds away. And to top it off animal control told my neighbors that it's "a neighbor's guest" that kept calling, aka literally I'm the only culprit.

I'm furious.

A complete disregard for me and my feelings.

Is there ANYTHING I could possibly do? Like fucking drive to that animal control center and do something? I know that's a dumb question but if there's anything I can do I'll fucking do it

P.S. I will text my friend and ask for details, I agree that animal control won't take animals away just from random calls but I'm stuck in a really shitty situation

Last edited:

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Am I to assume that the depth of animal control's investigation is to knock on the door and take birds away from an owner based on third-party "source: dude just trust me" calls and there not be a whole lot more to the story?

Oct 28, 2017
I would go to the neighbor and explain that it was done behind your back and if there is anything you can do to get their birds back you will. That is provided they weren't being abused. If that is the case, disregard my post.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they took the birds it was probably a good reason right? Maybe this was for the best, outside of the neighbour thinking you dicked them over of course.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Am I to assume that the depth of animal control's investigation is to knock on the door and take birds away from an owner based on third-party "source: dude just trust me" calls and there not be a whole lot more to the story?
That's how it is for at least the first call. No clue about the 2nd and 3rd calls. I don't even know how to approach my friend about this. I need more information but it'll be almost impossible for me to not cuss her out honestly

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Nah, I meant, were the birds being neglected? Did they have a condition, of some sort? Yet to be determined?
Ohhh gotcha

I kept an eye on them and the neighbors weren't spending time with them 24/7 but I saw them feeding them and cleaning the cage every day and etc.... no clue if they were the best owners on Earth but they didn't leave the birds to starve or anything

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Another perspective, but I don't really see that as "behind your back". Your friend is entitled to do that if they choose and you can't control what your friend does. Frankly it doesn't sound like the situation involves you.

Now if you know the bird is well taken care of I would offer to your neighbor to offer to give a reference should something result from your friend's action. But you gotta let it play out.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
On one hand, the birds might be in a better place now. On the other hand, you gotta move now before your neighbor starts shitting on your porch or throwing rocks at your windows lol

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
So the birds were legitimately in rough shape - hence why animal control took them ?

You'd rather animals be abused then some awkwardness with the neighbour ?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
If animal Control took the birds, then:
The birds were in poor health
They ignored commands to take the birds to the vet and get their health under control

Animal Control gives people tons of chances to keep their animals. They don't just take them unless they are literally hours from dying.

So if they took them, your friend was right and the bird were being neglected.

Edit: Even multiple calls will not make them take animals that don't need to be taken. There are tons of assholes that call animal Control constantly cause they sometimes hear a dog barking.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I wouldn't let her come over anymore at the very least. Personally I would prefer to cut such a person out over that level of disrespect but I know that's complicated and sometimes not possible. But the trust is broken.

Then I would apologize to the neighbor, explain you had nothing to do with it and asked her repeatedly to stay out of it.

All that said, do you know the reason animal control took them away? Based on what they saw? Did she report witnessing things that didn't happen? If they are just basing the seizure on what they observed and not what was reported, it's entirely possible they saw some worrying stuff in the environment and made the best decision for the birds. Like if you hear anything that indicates they were being neglected or abused...I would still be upset at the friend but probably wouldn't want to wade in. I wouldn't offer to help your neighbor get them back without more information.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Ohhh gotcha

I kept an eye on them and the neighbors weren't spending time with them 24/7 but I saw them feeding them and cleaning the cage every day and etc.... no clue if they were the best owners on Earth but they didn't leave the birds to starve or anything
Dang. I would wait for further info. I totally understand why you're upset, and that your friend did this behind your back, but until you can definitively rule out that the birds weren't being poorly taken care of, I would suggest just not speaking to that friend, for the time being.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I would 100% find out more about what happened to the birds and why exactly animal control decided to take them before cussing out your friend.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So you feel that the birds were not in need of any intervention and that your friend was overreacting? It seems we are missing a lot of information. How did animal control assess that they need to take away the birds? The latter is probably with the neighbors.
Another perspective, but I don't really see that as "behind your back". Your friend is entitled to do that if they choose and you can't control what your friend does. Frankly it doesn't sound like the situation involves you.
The OP lives next door to them off course it concerns them. They are the ones stuck with potentially angry neighbors. While the friend is safely at home far away from where all of this is happening.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Now if you know the bird is well taken care of I would offer to your neighbor to offer to give a reference should something result from your friend's action. But you gotta let it play out.

Are you joking, they now live next to people who think they tried to buy the birds and when they couldn't get them conspired to have them taken away.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Put it back on them. They lost their birds for a reason.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm confused, how did they "pass by your neighbor's birds"? Wouldn't a neighbor's birds be inside their apartment/house?

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Find out why they took the birds. If they were indeed abused then let that shit go. It's ok to end that friendship though since it seems to be causing you hella stress.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Birds are probably in a better place. ( At least I would assume if AC straight up took them).

You're fucked though.
I guess you could always rat out your friend to your neighbor, better there car keyed then yours.
Probably don't actually do that though.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Are you joking, they now live next to people who think they tried to buy the birds and when they couldn't get them conspired to have them taken away.

But they literally didn't. He has a clear conscience.

You'll never be able to control what other people think about you. And anytime you think you are it's just a fabrication in your own head. Living like that is completely exhausting.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Fuck the scenario, your friend lied to you twice; by not telling you about the phone-call, and then about the additional ones.

Throw in the fact you can argue she manipulated you into helping 'buy' the birds…even if the birds were being abused she went about it a thoroughly dishonest way. The next time she feels she's right in a situation she won't ever factor in your feelings

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
The friend was foolish to have reported the birds in a way that directly compromises you.

HOWEVER,

Am I taking crazy pills, or is OP way more upset at the idea of neighbor awkwardness than the idea that their neighbor had been abusing animals?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Fuck the scenario, your friend lied to you twice; by not telling you about the phone-call, and then about the additional ones.

Throw in the fact you can argue she manipulated you into helping 'buy' the birds…even if the birds were being abused she went about it a thoroughly dishonest way. The next time she feels she's right in a situation she won't ever factor in your feelings

Yeah, exactly. I remember the last thread. The position she put op in is messed up, that is not friend behavior

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
The friend was foolish to have reported the birds in a way that directly compromises you.

HOWEVER,

Am I taking crazy pills, or is OP way more upset at the idea of neighbor awkwardness than the idea that their neighbor had been abusing animals?

this

friend may be a bad friend, but if they felt like they had an ethical duty to protect a defenseless animal fuck the neighbors

animal control doesn't take action unless owners are abjectly negligent or abusive. your friend may have lied to you and done you wrong in a personal capacity, but your neighbors are probably not decent folk

Oct 28, 2017
I want to say that animal control having the birds is good for their wellbeing.

But your friend from the sound of it was going too far and I'm curious if they fabricated anything to animal control to get the birds taken away.

IMO for now give it a night's rest then contact your friend.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
But they literally didn't. He has a clear conscience.

You'll never be able to control what other people think about you. That's completely exhausting.

It's not about conscience it's about living next to people who are going to be pissed with you and maybe seek revenge.

The friend absolutely fucked the OP at every turn here. First by telling them to text the neighbour to buy the birds (which will make OP prime suspect if anything happens to them), then by telling animal control they're friends with the OP and having animal control pass on that info.

I commend the OP's friend for being concerned with the welfare of the animals but they 1000% fucked their friend by being underhanded here probably because they wanted to avoid confrontation.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a sequel thread about how this friend managed to get the birds somehow lol

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm I don't know where to stand on this. Maybe the friend did the right thing but then again it's animal control always correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.