Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I purchased the Tomb Raider series bundle on Steam, and have been playing Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider for the past months. I literally just completed Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I was wondering what's next for the series. Will there be a Tomb Raider 4 featuring an original story, or a remake of the original Tomb Raider? I am thinking if I should just play Tomb Raider Anniversary next to continue the story, but I am not sure if the gameplay will feel outdated by today's standard.

I know Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't go down well with some players, but please refrain from any snarky remark

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anniversary is good, the controls got revamped so it' doesn't feel outdated. It's more straightforward and less atmospheric than the original but it's still great.

As for what next, I hope a return to the old formula , with Shadow's Nu Lara.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Thats a good question. I'm guessing a continuation, but a semi reboot. Switching up the gameplay. Shadow landed with a thud

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really arsed about the story. I'd just like a big old map to explore and discover things, with cool puzzles and platforming that actually matters. Lining up jumps properly or dropping to your death, trying to figure things out. Not just "Hold X and let her do everything on rails".

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
I would like them to keep the formula, but maybe do a time skip to freshen things up.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think it'll be on an extended hiatus and return late next gen

square has their non-japanese studios on marvel iirc and shadow already felt like something that was done to close out the trilogy rather than because it was a worthwhile project on its own in terms of scope.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Story wise, the original, unpatched ending for Shadow of the Tomb Raider had Lara receive a letter from Jacqueline Natla.

Who can say where they'll go from here. I think the teams are busy with Marvel stuff now? Which is a shame.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Story wise, the original, unpatched ending for Shadow of the Tomb Raider had Lara receive a letter from Jacqueline Natla.

Who can say where they'll go from here. I think the teams are busy with Marvel stuff now? Which is a shame.

imo the fact that they patched it out shows they don't really want to pursue it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

They patched it to remove it, expand on it or what?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They need to move away from the origin story of the new trilogy and get rid of the sombre tone of the recent games. This is a character who historically has been able to follow the path she loves so I don't think that levity is something that the devs should treat as something to be avoided.

I liked the hunting and crafting elements of the new series but not the push towards hubs. There's nothing wrong with making a game purely linear if it's done well. Not to push comparisons to Naughty Dog but TLoU2 showed that you can make linear titles that still offer the opportunity for exploration and experimentation even if the game is straight A-to-B-to-C.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
They need to go back to the drawing board, stop with the Uncharted knockoffs and take the series back to its roots. See what Capcom did to Resident Evil and how they brought it back to life with the recent entries. The series thrived as a platforming and exploration sandbox, with a cool protagonist and terrific atmosphere. This is what they need to do.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm guessing they'll do another reboot, since it seems Shadow wasn't received (sales and critics) as well as they hoped for. I liked it more than the first one of the trilogy personally, and I liked the trilogy overall in the end, despite not being a fan at first.
Maybe another remake before that?

I'm guessing they'll want Crystal Dynamics to be on it again, so not before Avengers flops or disappoints as well.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just hope the next one isn't an origin story - it would be awesome to see a return to a lara that's already established with friends, enemies, etc.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It's nice to see so many saying go back to how it was... I miss the old style.

Crystal Dynamics shouldn't be afraid of offering multiple flavours of Tomb Raider though, the way we get different styles of Mario and Zelda. The Uncharted-likes can co-exist with the platformers of old IMO - I'd love them to do both.

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Let Lara hand the reigns off to someone else and get back to straightforward, fun tomb raiding without any of this "my dad has secrets" jazz - keep her around as a Sully/mentor figure perhaps. Basically just get back to a point where a T-Rex could show up again and you wouldn't even question it.

If they have to keep Lara - make her WAY less chatty, that was a thing I really hated that they copied from Uncharted. Lara used to be very stoic, with a sardonic sense of humour, and it was great.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's another game. I know I'm in the minority on this website but I really enjoyed this trilogy, and loved what Shadow brought to the trilogy.

With Shadow having been the end of Lara's origin story I'd love for the next game to have her be confident in herself and her tomb raiding abilities, away from the drama with her Dad. Personally, I think it'd be cool if they reimagined the first Tomb Raider with the trilogy influencing the changes in that game but I know that won't go down well with a lot of people.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised Shadow shipped 4 million units after 3 months of release, I was under the impression it hadn't done so well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get another sequel in a couple of years.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also i hope to god we can move on from stories about lara's parents. it sucks that that has been what the franchise is about for nearly 20 years and even uncharted went in on that with uc4.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Another reboot hopefully. Don't really like the reboot trilogy except the first game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they let the "shittier uncharted" formula DIE.

Make a modern TR based off anniversary's template PLEASE.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
What Capcom did to Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3.

I want Square Enix Europe to do to the original TR quintology.

My personal favourite being 3. A RE2/RE3 style remake of TR3 would be a dream come true.

Then from there, the popularity of these remakes will be so high, that the trajectory for an all out new game will be made on the basis of that formula.

Then Tomb Raider will be saved just like how Crash Bandicoot has been saved.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully a return to its roots, make it like Dark Souls but with more traps and platforming and less combat (I mean more focus on exploration, puzzles, traps and secrets). The newer games deviated too much from the things that made the original games successful.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
They should Batman Beyond it. Fast forward a few decades where Lara is now 60 adventuring with a new young female protagonist. Gameplay can either be fully co-op (2nd player or CPU controlled like RE5) or solo with instant character swap depending on the puzzles or enemies you encounter.

He being an actual Tomb Raider in her early years can be side games or expansions.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully another reboot, let's get back to Indiana Jones-style please. Puzzles, traps and ancient tombs. No more of this stabbing people in the eyeball shit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
One of the producers did say another could be coming, I think it was "we haven't heard the last of Lara" or words to that effect. I dunno if we're getting a direct follow up, or another reboot though. I'm sure it'll happen eventually though.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm guessing they'll want Crystal Dynamics to be on it again, so not before Avengers flops or disappoints as well.

Marvel has signed a multi-year, multi-title deal with Square Enix and i can see Crystal Dynamics and EM being stuck with Marvel for the next-gen as well.

Maybe EM will do something else since they have 500+ devs and only "50" worked on Avengers while the rest is working on the Guardians of The Galaxy game.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully something less sadistic. The sheer amount of effort they put into how Lara dies in every installment is creepy.

I didn't like the gory tone the new ones had. I would prefer something similar to the previous trilogy in terms of tone but with the newer gameplay.

Nov 4, 2017
How about a complete re-imagining of the franchise?

Perhaps cartoon/animation Lara Croft exploring an open-world cave, solving puzzles, collecting artifacts etc. The franchise may even find a new fanbase on Nintendo platforms.

images

Ice_Cave_Treasure_5.jpg

Ice_Cave_Treasure_6.jpg

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Complete reboot, that revolves around exploration and finding your own way through the environments, less collecting crap and XP.
Lara to be already experienced, in her prime and not whiny and especially not Camilla as Lara. No or less side friends like Jonah.
Combat should be at a minimum or at least good if there is any. Cover based combat in a Tomb Raider doesn't seem right.