• Coca-Cola

Votes: 103 78.0%
  • Pepsi

Votes: 28 21.2%

• Total voters

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Judd Apatow has attached to direct and Steven Spielberg has come aboard to produce Cola Wars, the film in development at Sony. Spielberg will produce through his Amblin Entertainment banner.
Deadline revealed back in April that the studio bought the project for $1 million-plus as a pitch, telling the true story of Pepsi's attempt to challenge Coca-Cola's century-long reign as the world's top cola. It uncapped the "Cola Wars" of the mid-1980s, which included everything from Michael Jackson's fiery mishap to the New Coke debacle, as the ultimate underdog tale of history's most iconic second-place contender (Pepsi) vying for the No. 1 spot (Coca-Cola).
The Cola Wars pitch is being written by Jason Shuman and Ben Queen. Shuman is the co-creator/writer of Apple's hit show Acapulco and was executive producer on HBO's Winning Time, and the producer of 2022's Oscar-nominated indie To Leslie. He is currently adapting Naomi Novik's fantasy novel His Majesty's Dragon as an hourlong series for Fox, and he recently adapted the novella A Note of Explanation by Vita Sackville-West for Netflix. He was the writer of Cars 2 and Cars 3 for Pixar, as well as the creator of NBC's A to Z and Powerless.
deadline.com

Judd Apatow & Steven Spielberg Join Coke Vs. Pepsi Film ‘Cola Wars’ At Sony

Judd Apatow will direct and Steven Spielberg will produce Cola Wars, a movie about the battle between Coke and Pepsi that is in the works at Sony.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I love the current trend of corporate biopics.

I love commodity consumption.

Consume is good. Me like consume.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I love the current trend of corporate biopics.

I love commodity consumption.

Consume is good. Me like consume.
me elder millennial me want movie about console wars. nostalgia fill big void in soul for 90 mins
Y'all realize these, while technically biographical, are actually all sports movies, right? That's who these films are marketed to, that's how these films are scripted and directed.

There's a reason this trend started with sports brands.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
866d475c-b0f0-4f5d-86aa-4870313b221f_text.gif

Aug 29, 2024
Y'all realize these, while technically biographical, are actually all sports movies, right? That's who these films are marketed to, that's how these films are scripted and directed.

There's a reason this trend started with sports brands.
less than zero interest in movies about brands regardless of the trappings they use but if people want to watch the origins of m&m movie or the pop tart movie or something that's their business

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Just watch the "The Brands that Made America" on the History channel. There's an episode about the Pepsi/ Coke feud that pretty much covers it.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
My ex converted me to Pepsi but i'm a iced tea drinker now when I want a treat. little lemon not very sweet, not like sweet tea.

This movie might be interesting. As mentioned cola war is taught in school.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
You can enjoy the film of it but not necessarily the brand behind it.

Blackberry is probably the best of these recent brand biographies. Which was preceded by Social Network.

That's kind of my perspective. Any topic can be made into an interesting movie, right? I loathe capitalism, but sometimes I like movies about capitalism, just like I loathe war and sometimes like war movies.

I'm not sure why elevating/examining capitalism in this way would be so much more egregious than, say, another sequel in a massive franchise. At least the former could be critical about the subject whereas the latter is just an unrestrained celebration of printing more money.

Ld007

Jun 1, 2024
The Pepsi challenge always shows people like it more, but that coke marketing especially in America is like brainwashing.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like one of those three part Netflix documentary series, with 50% interesting footage and 50% 'member these commercials' interspersed with an interview from the janitor at pepsi in 1987