Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
sunken-place.jpg

While Get Out has comedic bits, it's mainly a horror satire that taps into realities. Slavery by white men and exotification of black men by white women.

Jordan Peele didn't have a say into how the Golden Globes would categorise Get Out into the "Best Musical or Comedy" category rather than "Best Drama". What the movie is about isn't that funny or removed from reality.

Jordan Peele Challenges Golden Globes Classifying 'Get Out' As a Comedy: 'What Are You Laughing At?'
Indeed, Peele offered a compelling argument against the comedy category for his movie. "What the movie is about is not funny," he said. "I've had many black people come up to me and say, 'man, this is the movie we've been talking about for a while and you did it.' That's a very powerful thing. For that to be put in a smaller box than it deserves is where the controversy comes from."

Of course, part of the secret to the success of "Get Out" stems from its ability to combine multiple types of experiences into a single unexpected narrative. "I think the issue here is that the movie subverts the idea of all genres," Peele said. "Call it what you want, but the movie is an expression of my truth, my experience, the experiences of a lot of black people, and minorities. Anyone who feels like the other. Any conversation that limits what it can be is putting it in a box."

"The major point to identify here is that we don't want our truth trivialized. The label of comedy is often a trivial thing. The real question is, what are you laughing at? Are you laughing at the horror, the suffering? Are you disregarding what's real about this project? That's why I said, yeah — it's a documentary."

Also, Spike Lee's "Black Klansman" sounds pretty good.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, for the Globe Jury, it was just a farcical comedy about a normal auction going terribly wrong.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I never got why people thought it was funny either and the friend wasn't in it enough to warrant a comedy label at all.

Deleted member 25323

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Obviously it was miscategorized but if you ask "what are you laughing at" you're just begging for hundreds of "the TSA guy" responses.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The whole thing is a joke. I remember when the absolutely hysterical My Week with Marilyn got nominated under Best Comedy just so Michelle Williams would win the Globe lol.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie was hilarious whenever it made a joke, and terrifying when it was being serious. It's funny because Jordan Peele is funny and writes good jokes that are good comic relief in an otherwise serious film, but I have no idea how anyone could label it a comedy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it was miscategorized but if you ask "what are you laughing at" you're just begging for hundreds of "the TSA guy" responses.
Even the awkward racial stuff between the parents and their friends is funny in a dark comedy sort of way. The TSA guy is just funny in a normal comedy sense.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was good and the golden globes are a joke but the comedy/musical nominees are great. It's not really an insult just a way to make sure your quirky/genre movie wins awards.

Motion picture, musical or comedy 2014

WINNER: "American Hustle"

"Her"

"Inside Llewyn Davis"

"Nebraska"

"The Wolf of Wall Street"

Motion picture, musical or comedy 2015

"Birdman"

WINNER:
"The Grand Budapest Hotel"

"Into the Woods" http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-into-woods-review-20141225-column.html

"Pride" http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-pride-movie-review-20140926-column.html

"St. Vincent"

Motion picture, comedy 2016

"The Big Short"

"Joy"

WINNER:
"The Martian"

"Spy"

"Trainwreck"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a comedy.

It's not a documentary either.

It's a horror/thriller with elements of black comedy/comedy.

Just because it has a few obvious parts where characters play for laughs doesn't make it a comedy as its defining trait. The Martian was even further away.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the movie, but come on Peele, it's not a fucking documentary.

It isn't, but that comment points at exactly what's being misattributed. The movie speaks to a certain truth by framing it in a horror story, not in its comedy. By putting the focus on the funny bits they are essentially casting aside the messages and truths it seeks to explore. What of it can be attributed to a document of reality is behind its horror.

It is, in essence, a disregard of its commentary on racism

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a white person, I thought the way white people were portrayed in this movie was pretty damn hilarious. Would not label it a comedy however, but a thriller with dark comedy

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll take the word of the creator over anyone else. Not my place as a white person to categorize this movie.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't, but that comment points at exactly what's being misattributed. The movie speaks to a certain truth by framing it in a horror story, not in its comedy. By putting the focus on the funny bits they are essentially casting aside the messages and truths it seeks to explore. What of it can be attributed to a document of reality is behind its horror.

I just don't see it.

Label the comedy a drama, thriller, comedy or horror, whatever you call it, the message and themes are still there. Any of those categorizations don't rob the movie of what it is.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When I saw it in the cinema there were a bunch of black people laughing their asses off when the guy was
killing white people
at the end of the movie.

Never seen anyone laugh as hard as them in the cinema in any movie I've ever seen. So to them it was clearly a comedy.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The movie was good and the golden globes are a joke but the comedy/musical nominees are great. It's not really an insult just a way to make sure your quirky/genre movie wins awards.
Motion picture, comedy 2016

"The Big Short"

"Joy"

WINNER:
"The Martian"

"Spy"

"Trainwreck"
Makes you feel bad for those movies that genuinely try for a pure comedy. How is something like Spy or Trainwreck supposed to stand against that competition?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i definitely dont consider it a comedy...but seeing some of those other comedy nominations from the past, i feel like they dont really know what a comedy is...

i would agree with other posters and say get out is horror/thriller with some black comedy and a bit of normal comedy with the tsa guy

Peele's tweet to me seems to be making fun of the movie being nominated for the comedy category

Oct 25, 2017
News flash, The Producers is seen as a comedy. It's also seen as one of the most important anti-bigotry movies ever made.

Having said that, I agree with him. I didn't laugh while watching Get Out. I also didn't feel tension or interest of any kind. It was easily the most disappointing movie of the year for me.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
News flash, The Producers is seen as a comedy. It's also seen as one of the most important anti-bigotry movies ever made.

Having said that, I agree with him. I didn't laugh while watching Get Out. I also didn't feel tension or interest of any kind. It was easily the most disappointing movie of the year for me.
you are literally the only person i've seen with this opinion lol
I just don't see it.

Label the comedy a drama, thriller, comedy or horror, whatever you call it, the message and themes are still there. Any of those categorizations don't rob the movie of what it is.

in the big picture, i suppose thats true, but imagine you create a movie that is meant to be taken as something serious and have people calling git a comedy

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are taking his "it's a documentary" comment too serious. He is obviously talking about how relevant the issues it talks about are.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
you are literally the only person i've seen with this opinion lol

in the big picture, i suppose thats true, but imagine you create a movie that is meant to be taken as something serious and have people calling git a comedy
But the movie has been out for a while now and it had a big impact, none of that goes away because it got nominated as a comedy to get awards easier.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see it.

You're right, and it is a horror movie. And awarding it on its comedy merits is wilful misinterpretation.

And because this is specifically a movie about racism, how people interpret it is fairly important because it speaks to the context of racism in which they live.

Oct 28, 2017
Peele crafted a beautiful horror film with a strong sociopolitical theme which features solid moments of both drama and levity. It's a smart horror flick, and as per usual, people are trying to call it anything but.

Horror deserves to have its modern masterpieces recognized by the industry just as much as any other acclaimed genre. Between Get Out, It Follows, The Witch, Split, and Don't Breathe; we really have been seeing some of the most intriguing films of recent memory unearthing out of horror.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yup.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I think he should have. I understand where he was coming from, wanting to inspire some hope. But if you look at the reality there's no hope to be found.
Nah that's the point tho if it was to sad I don't think people would have enjoyed it as much after, personally I feel the moment right before you realized it was his friend in the car had a more powerful moment

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
WTF is with all the people in this thread who actually think the "it's a documentary" comment was serious?

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

But The Producers' anti-bigotry message and dramaturgy is comedic in essence. It comments on a lot of sociopolitical matters through comedy. That's great. The Great Dictator is a comedy, my favorite film of all time and also the anti-Nazi film par excellence. But it does what it does through comedy.

In the case of Get Out, it doesn't take too deep an analysis to identify the movie does what it does through horror, not throuh comedy. In fact, being funny isn't enough to be a comedy. Comedy is a structure, a series of conventions etc etc. and Get Out is, in fact, very very bad if analyzed as a comedic structure - it becomes an one-hour-and-a-half "I told you so lol" gag.

Oct 30, 2017
A man's daughters burning up is pretty funny...
Did you watch the movie? There's plenty of black comedy in it. The "good disease" conversation comes to mind. Manchester was my favorite movie of that year, and I actually do think it had more comedy than "Get Out," which really highlights how silly this category choice was.

Trained Rage

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This is a joke right.... LOL A well known comedian makes a dark comedy. Gets mad when people find it funny... yep its 2017!