• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9cRV4_Qgew
Synopsis: John Carpenter's Suburban Screams is a genre-busting unscripted horror anthology series from the mind of legendary director, writer, and producer, John Carpenter. The series explores the dark secrets and unspeakable evil that sometimes lurks beneath the surface of the sun-drenched streets, manicured lawns and friendly neighbors of suburbia. Each episode focuses on one true tale of terror, told by the real people who lived through it. Their firsthand accounts are brought to life through premium cinematic scene-work, news clips, home photos, and archival footage, combining the visual language of horror films with the tools and techniques of documentaries, creating a uniquely frightening experience for viewers.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Is JC just a producer? Not really from "his mind" if they are just re-enacted Unsolved Mysteries or something based on people's stories? :D

Chestbridge

Oct 29, 2017
Is JC just a producer? Not really from "his mind" if they are just re-enacted Unsolved Mysteries or something based on people's stories? :D

No he directed it... but remotely from home.

Via The Prague Reporter, the director told the audience, "I just finished directing, remotely, a TV series called Suburban Screams – John Carpenter's Suburban Screams." He finished up by saying, "It was filmed in Prague, and I sat on my couch and directed it.

plagiarize

Unfurling New Wings
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Via The Prague Reporter, the director told the audience, "I just finished directing, remotely, a TV series called Suburban Screams – John Carpenter's Suburban Screams." He finished up by saying, "It was filmed in Prague, and I sat on my couch and directed it.
I already knew this.

The more important question though is whether he's doing the music with his sons. Is he?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

What in the world

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

hahaha, yeah thought he said he's retired and couldn't see him going out there to do any more directing :D That sounds like he was a remote assistant director, watching over the main camera feed monitor on stream while someon else was on set.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

lol i'll watch this, but you'll forgive me if this doesn't fill me with confidence

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

legend
dude was playing fallout 76 and was like "i'm not getting up, but i'll zoom in for ya"

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017

Lol.

I love that Carpenter is so upfront about this kind of stuff. The man just wants to stay home, play video games, and get high with Kurt Russell.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

This man is next-leveling laziness

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
lol i'll watch this, but you'll forgive me if this doesn't fill me with confidence
Guarrantee there are multiple things you watched these past two years that you enjoyed that were directed remotely.

COVID changed the industry.

It's not ideal of course - actors and directors should interact in physical space - but you can get "you'll never know the difference" results if everyone just instantly clicks with the needs of each scene.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Unfathomably based

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if he even bothered to pause his game to give his directions?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great, another Peacock show I'm interested in that I won't see because their show aren't coming to any streaming service in France.
Still have no way to see Poker Face...

Oct 27, 2017
Directing from home sounds like a very John Carpenter thing to do. Probably high, watching sports, and playing a videogame at the same time. Not that I blame him, I'd do same thing if I was in his position.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I can just imagine JC telling the production to hold 5 minutes just so he can find a good spot to save his game.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
It's really really really bad (at least the first episode is, i couldn't do another if you paid me)
And i generally like "reenactment" shows a la unsolved mysteries

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Now that's scary...

www.rottentomatoes.com

John Carpenter's Suburban Screams: Season 1 | Rotten Tomatoes

Horror maestro John Carpenter takes a stab at television and unearths the evil that lurks in the suburbs. This true horror series features detailed encounters with actual slashers, psychos, demons and ghosts that terrorize the nation's neighborhoods, as told by the everyday people who survived them.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to see but it sounds like Carpenter is barely in it and its just a true crime series.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Disappointing to see but it sounds like Carpenter is barely in it and its just a true crime series.
After watching the first episode I have a hard time accepting that it's a "true crime" show. It's hard to research that case but I really find it hard to believe events played out the way the story unfolds.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

lol, can't get in the way of his video games, after all.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the first episode I have a hard time accepting that it's a "true crime" show. It's hard to research that case but I really find it hard to believe events played out the way the story unfolds.

That could be a lot of true crime shows. I know the recent Unsolved Mysteries reboot on Netflix got flack for really misrepresenting several of the stories they covered. That said this just sounds mediocre all around.

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how you all are talking like all he does is smoke and play video games. He also loves watching basketball. Get your facts straight!

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
That could be a lot of true crime shows. I know the recent Unsolved Mysteries reboot on Netflix got flack for really misrepresenting several of the stories they covered. That said this just sounds mediocre all around.

Well you have a good point and like you said it really doesn't help that the episode is very boring.

May 22, 2023
Florida
Watched a bit and still watching.
Typical stuff you will see on Travel Channel or Discovery like A Haunting and that kind of thing.
Better produced maybe, Carpenter only does a quick voice over at the start.
Perfect for the season if nothing else.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
if you want bad-to-mediocre, you can always count on the cock

comcast, i'm available for marketing opportunities, call me