Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
From a French magazine:

"When I arrived on this new Star Wars trilogy, there was a general plan for the three films. I focused on The Force Awakens, as there was a deadline. I couldn't project myself beyond this film while working on it. Rain Johnson saw what we were making, we had a meeting... He followed his inspiration, but he didn't undo the things we were thinking about. I'm insisting on it. There was a general plan, but no fully written script for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX."

hmliph85t9141.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
We all agreed we had no plan, but we did have an idea of a plan, and everyone agreed that, that idea of a plan was indeed a plan worth thinking about.

Lilyth

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
This contradicts what Johnson said. Listen to the Slasfilmcast episode with him, he is pretty open about this.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care if they had a plan or not. Nolan didn't have a plan when he made the The Dark Knight trilogy. Just make good movies with good stories. People are totally exaggerating the inconsistencies here. Also, best to wait for the third movie to see how it all gels together. All signs point to TROS being very much a sequel to TLJ.

Hyper

Oct 27, 2017
A major franchise run by a major company has a plan.

I never understood how people think Rian came and changed everything. Of course they have a major outline to follow.

Nov 23, 2017
So TLJ is completely skippable
You have to really really want to self fellate your own bias to read this in any way to mean that.

But I mean, that was of course the point of the thread: MORE rah rah hate noise based on loose nothings, of something people are already WAY tired of hearing all the negativity about and have been tired of hearing about for years at this point.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Hard to be skippable when they killed Luke and Snoke.
You have to really really want to self fellate your own bias to read this in any way to mean that.

But I mean, that was of course the point of the thread: MORE rah rah hate noise based on loose nothings, of something people are already WAY tired of hearing all the negativity about and have been tired of hearing about for years at this point.
TLJ does an opening crawl worth of plot. I can watch the good bits on Youtube in between 7 and 9.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, make three more Stars Wars movies and a whole hell of a lot of money.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
This is Abrams desperately asking people not to look behind the curtain to realize his story choices don't add up.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if they had a plan or not. Nolan didn't have a plan when he made the The Dark Knight trilogy. Just make good movies with good stories. People are totally exaggerating the inconsistencies here. Also, best to wait for the third movie to see how it all gels together. All signs point to TROS being very much a sequel to TLJ.
This.

It's very rare for a movie trilogy or series to have 'a plan'. It usually only hapens when stuff is shot back to back or is based on existing material. The reality of filmmaking makes it very hard to do so, as stuff always changes along the way and a movie is only done when the edit is locked. If you write three scripts you can expect there will be stuff you need to change in script 2 and 3 after movie 1 is done.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah right, JJ McGufffins Mystery Box Nostalgia Abrams.

I'm sure it didn't go far beyond Luke will be in this more, Rey and Kylo confront again.

JJ had to rush TFA and basically just reset the universe. Nobody expects them to write some perfect deep over arching trilogy but come on, the trilogy sequel to the OT and that's what you do, it's sloppy and careless at best, Disney/Lucasarts to blame too.

monome

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since derailing SW threads IS as common as farting when pissing...Dare i Say that by the end of TLJ, Luke displays powers beyond whatever fuckfanfiction any maga fucker ever dreamed about?

More on topic...
A "plan" for the trilogy when, basically, JJ was given free reign at the last minute in exchange for an impossible deadline is a laughable Idea. Dude is juste corporate bullshitting until the movie comes out and he can jump ship to Warner/DC.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
'A general plan"

what is that supposed to mean to anyone, you can make up anything to fit that depending on your own bias. It could mean as little as they knew Leia would be prominent in 9 like Luke would be in 8 and they had complete freedom besides those vague things or it could go as far as Rian's a liar and he was far more hamstrung than he said.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And yet it's already been made clear that Palpatine was not in the original script that Trevorrow wrote, so that shit wasn't part of the plan.

It's really nice how JJ loves to poke at Rian for not following the "plan" when he apparently can't follow it himself either.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
It bugs me as a whole that professionals in the industry, at or near the top tier can't get this all sorted beforehand.
There's little excuse.