• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So he called a professional liar who professes to be a christian, exactly what she is. I don't get the blow back.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/986060988205035520/photo/1

Da8xOlCVwAAsSMt.jpg

Sean Hannity update,
hahahahahaha
I know that Carrey has had some strange views in the past but God damn if one of the side effects of the Trump presidency is him coming back into good graces with the world it would really make me happy for Jim. Been a fan of his since In Living Color; his Vanilla Ice parody is amazing.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the art. Not a fan of the college-freshman commentary. Also, did he just use "short bus" as a derogative?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome that he's doing what he wants. But for some un-explainable reason I'm really fearful I'll wake up to hear he committed suicide some day. I don't mean to be crass or inappropriate... but he just seems like someone that might really be fighting internally. They say it's the ones that appear happiest are often hurting the most, ya know?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Awesome that he's doing what he wants. But for some un-explainable reason I'm really fearful I'll wake up to hear he committed suicide some day. I don't mean to be crass or inappropriate... but he just seems like someone that might really be fighting internally. They say it's the ones that appear happiest are often hurting the most, ya know?

Yeah, I worry too. I wonder why so many late life comedians struggle so much?

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC

I thought this after Jenny McCarthy left him then his other ex committing suicide. I'd like to think that him painting is his way of keeping those demons at bay.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I swear he's gonna end up in a museum one day lmao. Buy your Carreys now before they're worth millions.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

If Jim is carrying much of his spiritual views, he's more aware that suffering comes from a belief in a self. If he keeps in touch with that, I think self-harm is a non-starter.

I'd argue he's fine, even if when it comes to interviews, people are confused when he says stuff like "Jim Carrey does not exist". It loops right back to the point of suffering and self that he seems to deeply understand.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These tickle me. I like that he's doing this at the moment, they always cause a chuckle.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing funny to me about cracking jokes about developmental disabilities.

Look man, I can't tell you what to be offended by. You will shape your generation's norms. What I can say, as someone over 40, is that we don't see it the same way you do. Calling someone retarded was never about making fun of actual retarded people (and that used to be a clinical term). It was letting people who should know better know how you thought about their poor decisions or perspectives. We really should have stuck with "stupid", but we didn't. Our reasoning was that no retarded person really ever got offended by a non-retarded person being called retarded. You compare people to something THEY think is offensive because you want to offend THEM. It's like calling someone a pussy (no offense intended). It only works on men. You could have stuck with wimp, but folk got creative in their insults. I'm sure we'll stick to one non-offensive word for every concept in the very near future. That's up to your generation.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Look man, I can't tell you what to be offended by. You will shape your generation's norms. What I can say, as someone over 40, is that we don't see it the same way you do. Calling someone retarded was never about making fun of actual retarded people (and that used to be a clinical term). It was letting people who should know better know how you thought about their poor decisions or perspectives. We really should have stuck with "stupid", but we didn't. Our reasoning was that no retarded person really ever got offended by a non-retarded person being called retarded. You compare people to something THEY think is offensive because you want to offend THEM. It's like calling someone a pussy (no offense intended). It only works on men. You could have stuck with wimp, but folk got creative in their insults. I'm sure we'll stick to one non-offensive word for every concept in the very near future. That's up to your generation.

Sure, and I bet calling someone a "fag" on the schoolyard was never about hurting LGBTQ people. Maybe you should consider the impact of your vernacular on others, rather than your own personal definition.

I'm done here.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, and I bet calling someone a "fag" on the schoolyard was never about hurting LGBTQ people. Maybe you should consider the impact of your vernacular on others, rather than your own personal definition.

I'm done here.
That was also about insulting a person's sexuality by insinuating that someone who didn't like guys liked guys. Unfortunately, that one was also used to hurt those in the LGBTQ community. Virtually everyone who used to use that one knows it's wrong. It's all over 80's movies (try watching Monster Squad). I can't defend our use of that one. Again... We should have stuck with stupid, but as a culture and not individuals, we didn't. And it's hard for us to throw away the part of our brains that found it acceptable, even when we get your point. Don't worry... We've got 40 to 50 years Max before we die out and your kids berate you for the fucked up shit you don't even know your're doing right now.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty accurate for a political caricature of that person. I'm not seeing the issues with the portrait. Maybe they don't like the message below it? The picture is fine though and surprisingly executed decently!

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I kinda get you but...

Nah man, just nah

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mr. Carrey just recently did a portrait of Rudy Guiliani.

DbPT6aSVMAMoFQC.jpg

I swear, Carrey should do a whole series of these on Donald Trump's entire cabinet, and the Democrats should plaster them all over the walls at their next convention the way that movie theaters do with publicity posters featuring a single character for an upcoming summer blockbuster. A lot of people got a kick out of his Sean Hannity portrait, but I honestly think that these simple caricaturized renditions like the one above are so much more effective in causing more impact. And to go back to Sarah Huckabee Sanders, I love it that he never names her explicitly, and that it's her defenders that are forced to point this out when criticizing Mr. Carrey.