• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Super NES Works: HyperZone
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    HyperZone retrospective: F-Zero times two is still zero | Super NES Works #009

It's Space Harrier action in an F-Zero wrapper with this forgotten shoot-em-up by Nintendo mainstays HAL. A slight game, it's nevertheless memorable for its trippy visuals… and notable for its secret true-3D mode.
    Ouch at that George H.W. joke.

Also, I guess this means that StarFox 2 is off the table, eh?

Super NES Works: U.N. Squadron
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    U.N. Squadron retrospective: Top fun | Super NES Works #011

Finally, a great-as-heck third-party Super NES game. Capcom's U.N. Squadron marks a welcome turnaround from the bumpy unpleasantness of Final Fight, with smoother gameplay, fewer conversion compromises, and smart gameplay tweaks to improve replayability. It's a high-water mark for Super NES shooters, and a game worth hunting down all these years later.

Super NES Works: Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Peach, I could eat a peach for hours.

I sincerely enjoy the fact that you posted that remark without this week's video, so it's just a random drive-by pop culture reference with no context.
    I'LL SAVE THE DAY!

Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise retrospective: Peaches en regalia | Game Boy Works #095

A strange and obscure little U.S.-only release for Game Boy in which the protagonist of equally obscure NES game Thunder & Lightning turns monsters into peaches and eats them. Developed anonymously and tied inexplicably to a completely unrelated game, this one's a real mystery. Sadly, the gameplay turns out to be far less interesting than the enigma surrounding Mr. Chin's existence.

Super NES Works: HAL's Hole in One Golf
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    HAL's Hole in One Golf retrospective: Links awakening | Super NES Works #012

Another HAL creation: Hole In One Golf follows up on the company's landmark MSX take on the sport, adds in a Japanese golf legend, removes the golf legend for good measure, and allows players to explore a single course with exhaustive detail (via an isometric perspective that just might have served as the basis for Kirby's Dream Course).

Game Boy Works: Fish Dude
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Fish Dude retrospective: The dude abides | Game Boy Works #096

It's here: The first true Game Boy collector's grail piece (and just in time for our recent "collector's bubble" episode of Retronauts - https://retronauts.com/article/699/ep...). Fish Dude is not a good or memorable game, but it is very, very rare and expensive. Which is… something, I suppose.
    Because Gundam's anime, Jeremy. And no matter how hard we try, anime just won't die.

Also, with the current Patreon situation, they've got to be a special kind of stupid, right?

NES Works Gaiden: A brief history of region lockouts
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Jeremy takes an aside as he delves into...

A brief history of region lockouts | NES Works Gaiden #008

By patron request, we look at the horrible and hideous ball that Nintendo got rolling when it localized the Famicom to America and Europe as the NES: Region-locking. This quick (and not at all comprehensive!) overview of the different methods console manufacturers have used to prevent and punish international software importation does at least offer a promising light at the end of the tunnel: It appears to be a dying practice. Once 3DS shuffles off this mortal coil, we'll once again be free to buy games in yen and pretend we understand the mysterious runes in which their menus are written.
    I might just make a new thread specifically for this video.

Super NES Works: Populous
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Populous retrospective: Foster the Papal | Super NES Works #013

A look at Nintendo's very own console conversion of Peter Molyneux's god-sim, Populous. Wedged in between the superlative SimCity and the excellent ActRaiser, Populous admittedly struggles a bit to hold its own among its peers. But all credit goes to developer Infinity, who did a bang-up job with the conversion and used this as the cornerstone of a brief but well-intended career transforming Western PC games into forms suitable for Japanese gamers.
    So, Molyneux really is a true believer in the games he produces, eh?

Game Boy Works: Alleyway [remastered]
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Remaking your old reviews to bring them more up to current production standards, eh Jeremy?

Alleyway retrospective [remastered]: Game Boy's breakout title | Game Boy Works #001

A top-to-bottom do-over of the very first Game Boy Works episode, bringing the series' debut up to current production standards. It's a look at the first of Game Boy's four launch titles in Japan, a standard Breakout-style block-smashing game with a few small fun touches. Nothing incredible as games go, but as a transitional work between Game & Watch and the Game Boy, its limitations are certainly understandable.
    Now, redo Heiankyo Alien.

Super NES Works: Super Bases Loaded
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Super Bases Loaded retrospective: Yer out | Super NES Works #014

The Super NES gets its first sports game in the form of an entry in Jaleco's Bases Loaded baseball series, which doesn't offer a whole lot that you couldn't find in Jaleco's simultaneous release for NES, Bases Loaded 3. All this 16-bit iteration really offers over its 8-bit counterpart is a questionable race not for the pennant but rather for a "perfect" game, a task best left to masochists drowning in free time.
    Now, when can I get my Blernsball game?

Super NES Works: Ultraman: Towards the Future
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Ultraman: Towards the Future retrospective: Leave it in the past | Super NES Works #015

Another game licensed from a Japanese media property hits Super NES, but this one isn't quite as good as U.N. Squadron. In fact, it's really quite poor: A clumsy fighting game based on Ultraman's short-lived push into the U.S. television market. It might not be all bad if not for the unspeakably boneheaded victory condition requirement, which turns this into a jarring example of a faithful video game adaptation that suffers for its accuracy to the source material…
    Don't worry folks, You've got some Yuzo Koshiro goodness next week.

Now, if only there was a Mega Drive Works so we can hear more of his work...no, I will not accept the Yank name.

Game Boy Works: SD Gundam Gaiden: Lacroan Heroes
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    SD Gundam Gaiden: Lacroan Heroes retrospective: Gun-dammit | Game Boy Works #097

Our second Game Boy Gundam game, and can you believe it? It's also not very good. This one is bad in a boring, predictable way: It's a game adaptation of a video series designed in the mold of Dragon Quest. You'd think an obvious formula for success as a video game would present itself based on that pretext, but…

Game Boy Works: Baseball [remastered]
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Baseball retrospective [remastered]: Less a home run than a forced error | Game Boy Works #002

(This is the second of eight planned Game Boy Works remastered episodes.)

Nintendo revisits one of their oldest original creations for the Game Boy's launch, and the result is a baseball game even more primitive than one from six years prior. The real star of this show: Link cable support, allowing two baseball fanatics to suffer in unison.

Super NES Works Gaiden: Analogue Super Nt
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Analogue Super Nt overview: 16-bit is so hot right now | Super NES Works Gaiden #001

Analogue launches the Super Nt clone console today, so Super NES Works takes a side jaunt to once again look at a brand new hardware release for the Super NES family. This has become a lot more frequent than you would really expect given that the platform's been dead for two decades.

I can't offer a comprehensive expert-level technical review of Super Nt here, nor do I presume to speak for anyone else's needs. Instead, this overview focuses on (perceived) accuracy, the system's general features, and the ways in which the Super Nt fits (and in my case, doesn't fit) into a gaming setup.

If you would like a little more context for this commentary, I recommend checking out my Super NES Classic Edition review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4_K1...) and the Classic Edition. vs. real hardware comparisons I posted last fall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzvXw...) — I have included Super Nt footage of those same games here for reference.

Next week: ActRaiser, finally, for real.
    Well, Kevtris and Analogue...Mega Drive core and Mega Nt when?

No, I'm not gonna call Sega's console by that other name.

Super NES Works: ActRaiser
  • Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
    The Fallen
    Oct 25, 2017
    Toronto
    ActRaiser retrospective: All's right with the world | Super NES Works #016

An in-depth look at one of the most unique games ever to appear on Super NES: The god-sim/RPG/platformer ActRaiser. With its incredible soundtrack, challenging action, and low-calorie simulation mode, ActRaiser manages to be far more than the sum of its decent individual components. It stands as a classic for the ages, and this retrospective attempts to explain why. Special thanks to Steve Lin of the Video Game History Foundation for providing access to the packaged copy of the game for this video.

Super NES Works: Super Tennis
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Man, with Era down a couple days back, I forgot to post the latest video.

Super Tennis retrospective: Love-40 is in the air | Super NES Works #017

Nintendo's lone first-party straggler for Super NES's 1991 post-launch period lands in the form of a game by TOSE and Tonkin House that hews so closely to Tennis for NES and Game Boy that it really does deserve the name "Super Tennis." A fast-paced if visually unexciting take on the sport, Super Tennis finally rectifies the shortcomings of its predecessors by incorporating a full array of single- and multiplayer options, as well as a complete, long-term, bracket-based tournament mode. You might say it's… smashing.

Special thanks to Steve Lin of the Video Game History Foundation for providing the game and packaging for this video retrospective.

Game Boy Works: Super Mario Land [remastered]
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Super Mario Land retrospective: Oh! Daisy! | Game Boy Works #003 remastered

I was down and out with a cold this past week, so instead of forging ahead with Game Boy Works, here's another remastered episode: An expanded look at Super Mario Land, this time with MUCH better sound and video quality. You know Mario, you love Mario… but do you love Mario Land? You should! It's quality fare.
    HI, I'M DAISY!

Game Boy Works: Nobunaga's Ambition
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Nobunaga's Ambition retrospective: Downsizing Japan | Game Boy Works #098

Strategy and simulation powerhouse Koei makes its debut on Game Boy with… a strategic simulation game. Nobunaga's Ambition does a pretty respectable job of bringing a huge PC war simulation into a tiny, monochrome format. As the world's first proper handheld simulation game, it's pretty respectable, if not precisely something you'd want to spent a lot of time with today.

Game Boy Works: Astro Rabby
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    HOW IS RABBY FORMED!?

Astro Rabby retrospective: Lapin it up | Game Boy Works #099

A pleasant surprise this week, as one of the most charming game boxes to have appeared in some time contains… a thoroughly pleasant and enjoyable little game. Astro Rabby turns out to be a little-known Japan-only release that isn't a puzzler, isn't shoddily made, and isn't painful to play. It's a good-natured top-down platformer for flexible controls and a decent difficulty curve that steadily ramps up from breezy to brutal. Not a classic, but in a way it's better than a masterpiece: It's just a fun little diversion with no frills and no expectations attached.
    Seems import friendly given that the whole game seems to be in English.

Game Boy Works: Pop 'N Twinbee
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Pop 'N Twinbee retrospective: Cute the messenger | Game Boy Works #100

The series hits its 100th episode and to celebrate… uh, well, it's business as usual. Thankfully, this episode tackles a pretty good (if somewhat unfairly balanced) shooter by none other than Konami: Pop 'N Twinbee. This shooter originally appeared in Japan in 1990 as Twinbee Da! (pictured in the video); the European version showed up four years later and is almost impossible to find complete these days (hence the lack of European packaging photos).

Game Boy Works: Palamedes
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Palamedes retrospective: An unlucky roll of the dice | Game Boy Works #101

Ah, here we go: The second set of 100 Game Boy Works episodes begins with the quintessential Game Boy experience. Yes, it's a mediocre puzzle-ish game that plays better on other platforms. Not an auspicious beginning, perhaps, but at least it's a realistic one.

It appears I missed a play mechanic here (clearing rows by pressing down) due to the manuals to this game only being available in German and Japanese, so I will revisit this game in some capacity in the future to make a small note. Just a small one — the added mechanic makes it a little less difficult but doesn't fix the color ambiguity issue.
    Next up...

But in portable form.

Game Boy Works: Ghostbusters II
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Ghostbusters II retrospective: We're ready to relieve you | Game Boy Works #102

What a relief: A genuinely great game, and a licensed one to boot!? Yes, Ghostbusters II defies the odds by ditching all connections to Activision's other Ghostbusters games and going with a portable adaptation of HAL Labs' charming-as-heck Famicom game New Ghostbusters II. Sure, it has some rough patches, but it's sweet and entertaining — a nice, breezy, personality-packed rendition of the movie.

Next time...pretty much this.

Game Boy Works: Monster Truck
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Monster Truck retrospective: Monstrously underwhelming | Game Boy Works #103

It's weird that someone in Japan made a game about the all-American pastime of monster trucks and didn't bring it to the U.S., right? Well, mystery solved: The game is a terrible Excitebike clone with inscrutable mechanics, and it would have bombed terribly here in America. It certainly didn't win many fans in its own home territory…
    You know your game is bad when Jeremy starts cursing it.

Game Boy Works: Roadster
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Roadster retrospective: From Game Boy to turbo teen | Game Boy Works #104

Who says Game Boy racing games have to be awful? Not TOSE and Tonkin House, who evidently took the likes of Monster Truck as a challenge. Roadster is everything previous Game Boy racers weren't: Fun, a joy to control, fairly balanced, thoughtfully designed. Will wonders never cease?
    Next time...

tO2gR1_lHsqVeoGuOmPx5cBA71c=.gif

Game Boy Works: Radar Mission
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Radar Mission retrospective: War is much better, down where it's wetter | Game Boy Works #105

As if to prove there's no idea so good that you can't do it several times over in mostly identical ways, here is the third Battleship-like naval combat game for Game Boy. This one is from Nintendo themselves, which means that it's less offbeat than Use's Battleship/Navy Blue or NTVIC's Power Mission, but it's a lot more polished. And it includes an entirely original secondary sub combat mode, too! Just be sure to play with a friend, because the computer cheats like crazy in this one… as usual.

It's Kirby Plays EELS and ESCALATORS SNAKES and Ladders, Jeremy. Hmph. Yanks.

That being said, a shame another Game Boy game by Nintendo has a single player with unforgiving AI, because what they did seems like an interesting take on the Battleship formula.

Game Boy Works: Soreyuke!! Amida-kun
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Soreyuke!! Amida-kun retrospective: Fakes and ladders | Game Boy Works #106

Another Game Boy puzzler? Yes, but at least this one is different. Rather than involving boxes and tiles, Amida-kun riffs on the traditional Japanese lottery game, amidakuji… the same game that inspired Konami's Amidar. It's pretty basic as games go, but the underlying principle is fun, and challenging, so this one's not so bad.

Game Boy Works: After Burst
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    THE MASAYA IS HERE!

After Burst retrospective: Solve-'em-up | Game Boy Works #107

An interesting spin on the puzzle platformer as only Masaya could deliver: This time, you solve puzzles by blowing up stuff. Unfortunately, the unconventional premise is let down by the clunky tech and programming. It's pretty good, but it should have been great.

Game Boy Works: Trump Boy II
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Trump Boy II retrospective: Executive disorder | Game Boy Works #108

Game Boy gets its second quick-iteration sequel to a previous release for the platform, and it's even less noteworthy than Boxxle II. Like the original Trump Boy, this follow-up contains three card game variants based around a pack of 52. The visuals look a little nicer and have some personality this time, and there's a four-player mode (that we'll look at in a different episode), but it's pretty just, you know, Trump Boy. Again.
    I'm with Jeremy on this one. I'd do anything to warp to 1990.

Game Boy Works: Pac-Man
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Pac-Man retrospective: When a Man becomes a Boy | Game Boy Works #109

NOTE: After uploading this video, I discovered Pac-Man on Game Boy contains a hidden full-screen option, which would somewhat mitigate my criticisms of the game. Unfortunately, since I'm currently traveling and don't have access to video recording equipment, I can't amend the video. Expect a revised look (along with a second chance for Palamedes) once this "season" of Game Boy Works ends.

Namco buries the axe with Nintendo long enough to bring its classic maze-chase arcade hit to Game Boy, and the results are… mixed. A strong game gets a slow, cramped rendition here. It's playable, yes, but this icon loses a few vital details in the process of squeezing down to fit Game Boy's limits, which means this is far from the definitive handheld take on Pac-Man… something that was true even back in the day.
    What an unfortunate oversight. Still, next week...

09d.gif

Did you manage to get a 4 player game with Bob Mackey and the lads for this one?

Game Boy Works: F-1 Race + Nintendo's 4-Player Adaptor
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    F-1 Race and the Nintendo 4-Player Adapter: A mess o' multiplayer | Game Boy Works #110

Game Boy shipped with the ability to allow two systems to link together for multiplayer sessions. But in late 1990, Nintendo took their portable multiplayer options one step further through the Four-Player Adapter, which shipped in the U.S. as a pack-in with the game F-1 Race. This week, we look at both game and peripheral.

Now where can I find that Faceball 2000 video Bob Mackey took?

Game Boy Works: The Rescue of Princess Blobette
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    The Rescue of Princess Blobette retrospective: About a boy, and a blob | Game Boy Works #111

Another Game Boy follow-up to an NES game appears this week, and it's just as compromised and frustrating as you've come to expect. The Rescue of Princess Blobette consists almost entirely of recycled material from A Boy and His Blob, but it's a much smaller game — and a more limited one. And slower. And more cramped. And it sounds a lot worse. But on the plus side, uh… well, it won't melt down your Game Boy, probably. So that's something.

Game Boy Works: Rolan's Curse
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Rolan's Curse retrospective: Hackneyed slash | Game Boy Works #112

The second volume of Game Boy Works comes to a conclusion (look for the book this fall!) with a look at the system's first Zelda-style game. Uhhh… kinda. Rolan's Curse offers a glancing tangent to the top-down action-RPG, but there's not a lot of substance here — just the appearance of the thing. A brief, clunky, fast-paced, and ultimately linear adventure, this feels like a relic from an older time. But at least the dialogue's weirdly amusing. That's something, right?

Super NES Works: Paperboy 2
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    WOAH, in camera appearance of Jeremy!

Paperboy 2 retrospective: A game about nothing? | Super NES Works #018

Tengen scored a hit with its home rendition of Atari Games' arcade classic Paperboy, so naturally they wasted no time following up on it. But was this sequel really necessary? Did Tengen improve on a masterpiece, or merely spin their wheels? Find out by watching this video... next time you drop by my apartment unannounced to raid my pantry for cereal.

Your comedy still beats the end of series 2 NXT.

Game Boy Works: Tennis [remastered]
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    The remasters just keep coming.

Tennis retrospective: 40-love affair | Game Boy Works #005 [remastered]

We revisit the first Game Boy sports game that you wouldn't want to throw off the side of a cliff if someone handed it to you. Tennis was pretty swell — clearly patterned after the NES game by the same title, but a lot better in most regards.

Super NES Works: John Madden Football
  • Oct 25, 2017
    New York City
    So there's a new SNES Works video on John Madden Football.

I'm not a fan of sports games either, but one thing I always said was that EA made awesome music for their sports games.

Back in the day, this was my jam:

Turns out the composer for many of EA's earlier sports games (including John Madden Football) is Rob Hubbard, the very accomplished and very notable Commodore 64 composer. Here's one of his C64 tunes:

A bit surprised Parish didn't mention that, because I kinda got the impression that he's a big video game music connoisseur, haha. But it's one of the reasons why I'm sad EA just started using licensed music for all their games.

Super NES Works: R.P.M. Racing
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    R.P.M. Racing retrospective: High resolution, middling evolution | Super NES Works #020

A fascinating bit of Super NES technology fails to match its one-of-a-kind visual approach with equally unique gameplay. There are probably worse racers on the system, but R.P.M. Racing feels particularly disappointing given the unconventional graphical approach it takes and the impressive legacy that lay ahead for developer Silicon & Synapse. It one-of-a-kind bit of tech for Super NES, and it includes the system's first custom level creator complete with battery back-up, but it just isn't fun.

Super NES Works: Final Fantasy II (part 1)
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Final Fantasy II retrospective (Pt. 1): Active-Time Babble | Super NES Works #021 Pt. 1

This first of a multi-part look back at the original U.S. release of Final Fantasy IV explores the history behind the game and the significance of its innovative combat engine, the Active-Time Battle System

Super NES Works: Final Fantasy II (part 2)
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Final Fantasy II retrospective (Pt. 2): The revolution, televised | Super NES Works #021, Pt. 2

The middle chapter of this in-depth Final Fantasy II retrospective leaps from the game's innovative play mechanics to its equally striking approach to storytelling. By using all aspects of the game to relay its narrative, Final Fantasy II changed the way RPGs (and games!) integrated plots and characters into their design.

Super NES Works: Final Fantasy II (part 3)
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Final Fantasy II retrospective, Pt. 3: Ludonarrative Lunarians | Super NES Works #021 Pt. 3

And here at last we reach the end of this retrospective saga with a look at how Final Fantasy's fourth installment reworked the raw materials of its 8-bit predecessor to present a new and completely holistic take on the role-playing genre.
    Next week...YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

Super NES Works: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts retrospective: Live. Die. Repeat | Super NES Works #022

The Makaimura/Ghosts 'N Goblins series makes its debut on a third Nintendo console, and yeah, it's every bit as harsh as you'd expect. But is the beauty of the game's visuals and the intense satisfaction of finally reaching the next checkpoint enough to make it worth the suffering?
    In light of Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts being reviewed, let's all listen to the Ghosts 'N Goblins song...

[listens to song] "These punk ass bitches straight up prevented my dinner"...yeah...these lyrics aren't as fun as I remember them these days, given their context.

Super NES Works: Darius Twin
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Darius Twin retrospective: Sashimi-grade shooting | Super NES Works #023

Taito arrives on Super NES with a splash. Well, it should be a splash... you know, because of all the fish bosses. But they're actually in outer space? Darius is weird. But that's OK, because this Darius balances its quirkiness with the silkiest, smoothest action yet seen on the console. It's the cure for the common slowdown, and all it took was... not using any of the console's unique hardware features. Oh well!

Super NES Works Gaiden: Shubibinman Zero
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Shubibinman Zero retrospective: Punch-drunk love | Super NES Works Gaiden #02

Not every publisher is out to block access to obscure, lost, or forgotten games. Thanks to Columbus Circle, the fourth and final entry in NCS's Shubibinman (Shockman) series received a physical release 20 years after making its debut as a downloadable exclusive for Nintendo's long-abandoned Satellaview service. And best of all, it's a pretty fun little game that deserves to be remembered. Warms the ol' heart-cockles, it does.

NES Works Gaiden: Holy Diver | R-Type Collection
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Holy Diver & R-Type Collection overview: The reissue of the beast | NES Works Gaiden #09

Another new-old release this week—two, actually. And unlike Shubibinman Zero, these are launching in the U.S. Clone console maker Retro-Bit has also gotten into the licensed repro cart business and seem determined to do it up right with two reissues of rare, pricey games packed in overstuffed collector's edition boxes at a pretty reasonable price. Of the two, Holy Diver for NES is the most interesting, since unlike the R-Type games it has never seen an official U.S. release until now. And it'll probably be another 29 years before any of us beat the thing without cheats...
    TPudHDj.gif

Also, in light of the announcement of the new Streets of Rage, I thought it would be interesting to throw in this tweet by Jeremy about how far we've come around to appreciate 2D sprite based games again.

Metroidvania Works: Montezuma's Revenge
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Metroidvania Chronicles gets a new name and look, but it's the same old retrospective journey through the evolution of exploratory action-RPGs and platformers all the same. This time we jump ahead to 1984 and Utopia's treasure-hunting pyramid platformer Montezuma's Revenge. Other games of note this episode: Pharaoh's Curse, Spelunker, Jet Set Willy.
    The portmanteau still sucks, Jeremy (sorry)! And I refuse to paste it outside of a quote box. So no title for this post.

NES Works: Trojan
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Trojan retrospective: Apocalyptic measures | NES Works #036

The NES's third year in America kicks off in fine style with Capcom's Trojan, a fairly faithful (and slightly enhanced) conversion of a Kung-Fu style arcade hack-and-slash brawler. It's an interesting nexus for Capcom's history, and a promising start for NES's 1987 lineup.

Also, you can learn more about the BX90 controller by contacting Benj Edwards directly through Twitter: https://twitter.com/benjedwards
    Also, important announcement at the end of the video.

NES Works: Pro Wrestling | Soccer | Volleyball
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Pro Wrestling | Soccer | Volleyball retrospective: Amazon delivers pain | NES Works #037

We're reaching the end of Nintendo's Black Box series of releases, and Pro Wrestling shows why: The NES library evolved beyond the basic experiences contained within the early Black Boxes. In this case, we have a remarkably well-designed wrestling game loaded with personality and memorable characters. Quite a change from all those earlier NES wrestling games...

Also in this episode: Brief looks at Soccer and Volleyball.
    Did someone say...TRI...IN A WRESTLING CONTEXT!?

B_gGCZ6VAAIyKhQ.png

Segaiden: Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Oh boy, new limited series from Jeremy! Let's hope M2's work is never ending.

Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog overview | 'Hog wild | SEGAiden 01

There's more to video game history than just Nintendo, and in this Video Works offshoot, we'll take occasonal looks at essential classic games from SEGA—both historical releases and current reissues. This debut episode is a little of both, intersecting with one of SEGA's most important creations ever and developer M2's attempt to pay it tribute with a new remaster for Nintendo Switch.

NES Works: Slalom
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Slalom retrospective: Rare's slippery slope to fame | NES Works #038

We bid farewell to the Black Box era of Nintendo games even as we welcome an NES powerhouse into the fold. Slalom sees UK developer Rare make its console debut with a high-speed downhill racing game and the most carefully rendered video game man-butts this side of Metal Gear.
    YOU STOLE MY SIMPSONS JOKE, JEREMY!

AJxJEp6mPERvHN9oM-DrgkAvTn8=.gif

NES Works: Track & Field | Rush ’N Attack | BurgerTime
  • OP
    OP
    Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
    Track & Field | Rush 'N Attack | BurgerTime retrospective: Arcade fire | NES Works #039

Moving on to April and May 1987, three classic arcade games (well, maybe more like two classics and one "whuzzat?") arrive on NES in rapid succession courtesy of Data East and Konami. Konami's two games share a tenuous link in their cold wars roots, while Data East's game is... well, it's weird.
    BIG review next week.