PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Tonight's Inside Jeopardy podcast episode discussed the new format that the Tournament of Champions will be taking on this season. For comparison, here's the old format:

• 15 players in the field
  • 5 quarterfinal winners and 4 wild cards (players with highest scores among non-winners) advance to semifinals
  • Finalists play 2-game affair to determine winner
Now, here's the new format:

• 21 players in the field
  • 3 biggest winners (Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach) will be seeded into the semifinals
  • 6 quarterfinal winners advance to semifinals
  • Finalists play "First to 3 games" format ala the GOAT series
Full list of players in the tournament
1. Jaskaran Singh (JNCC 2022)
2. Sam Buttrey (Professor's Tournament)
3. Amy Schneider
4. Matt Amodio
5. Mattea Roach
6. Ryan Long
7. Jonathan Fisher
8. Brian Chang
9. Courtney Shah
10. Eric Ahasic
11. Zach Newkirk
12. Megan Wachspress
13. Andrew He
14. Tyler Rhode
15. Jackie Kelly
16. John Focht
17. Margaret Shelton
18. Maureen O'Neil
19. Christine Whelchel
20. Second Chance Tournament Winner #1
21. Second Chance Tournament Winner #2

And if you're wondering things like "Why make this new format?", "What is the Second Chance tournament?", and "What is H&R Block?", give the Inside Jeopardy podcast a listen, and EP Michael Davies alongside Sarah Foss will explain all these new-fangled formats as well as how the Second Chance field was formed. You can find it right here: https://linktr.ee/insidejeopardy

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose mayim bialik will be the host of the TOC? I cant believe how hard they fumbled the whole thing with the host still

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I suppose mayim bialik will be the host of the TOC? I cant believe how hard they fumbled the whole thing with the host still

Yeah, she does the special formats and then splits with Ken Jennings during the season. Ken has improved quite a bit and is pretty good, imo, Mayim is...okay.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Ken will host the Tournament of Champions.

www.jeopardy.com

A Note from Jeopardy! EP Michael Davies: New Hosts and New Initiatives | J!Buzz | Jeopardy.com

I write today with the exciting news that we have closed and signed deals with Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings to be the hosts of Jeopardy! moving forward. The fact is, we have so much Jeopardy! to make, and so many plans for the future, that we always knew we would need multiple hosts for the...

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017

Ken will host the Tournament of Champions.

www.jeopardy.com

A Note from Jeopardy! EP Michael Davies: New Hosts and New Initiatives | J!Buzz | Jeopardy.com

I write today with the exciting news that we have closed and signed deals with Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings to be the hosts of Jeopardy! moving forward. The fact is, we have so much Jeopardy! to make, and so many plans for the future, that we always knew we would need multiple hosts for the...

Thank you. I think that my original post came off more harsh than intended. Jeopardy was one of my favorite shows and Alex is one of my favorite hosts of all time. I am saddened how this was handled at every turn :(

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I hate that they're seeding the superchamps into the semifinals. The fact that the tournament is larger and longer is good for me though. TOC is my favorite part of Jeopardy.