Is Friends offensive?

• Yes - since airing.

Votes: 389 27.6%
  • Yes - it's offensive now but not when it was airing.

Votes: 259 18.4%
  • No.

Votes: 763 54.1%

• Total voters

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
deadline.com

Jennifer Aniston Says Comedy Has Changed & Some Today Find ‘Friends’ Offensive: “I Don’t Think There Was A Sensitivity Like There Is Now”

Jennifer Aniston spoke recently about the state of comedy and what’s considered funny – and what’s not – on the occasion of the debut of her new Netflix comedy Murder Myster…

Jennifer Aniston spoke recently about the state of comedy and what's considered funny – and what's not – on the occasion of the debut of her new Netflix comedy Murder Mystery 2 with Adam Sandler.

"Comedy has evolved, movies have evolved," the former Friends star told French news agency AFP.

"Now it's a little tricky because you have to be very careful, which makes it really hard for comedians, because the beauty of comedy is that we make fun of ourselves, make fun of life," she said, before getting specific.

In years past, "you could joke about a bigot and have a laugh — that was hysterical. And it was about educating people on how ridiculous people were," said Aniston. "And now we're not allowed to do that."

In fact, that's not even considered funny anymore to many people, she says.

"There's a whole generation of people, kids, who are now going back to episodes of Friends and find them offensive.

She should expand on the idea of comedy, bigotry and education.

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah ha ha racism is funny.

Im pretty sure even back in the 90s there were people calling out Friends for being so incredibly white.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
She should be happy that certain things 30 years ago aren't considered funny anymore. It's progress. Beyond that, it's been nearly 3 decades and people still watch Friends. Obviously y'all did something right

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
"In years past, "you could joke about a bigot and have a laugh — that was hysterical. And it was about educating people on how ridiculous people were," said Aniston. "And now we're not allowed to do that.""

No, you can still do that. It's being done constantly and is appreciated by audiences. What has changed is the definition of a bigot.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i think that genuine good comedy is comedy that is always funny regardless of the era.

if there's comedy that becomes bad due to the changing of times, it means it was never very good in the first place.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friends has long been skewered for its all-white cast and the fantasy scenario of six twentysomethings being able to afford Manhattan apartments.

Show co-creator Marta Kauffman spoke out last year on the lack of diversity both in front of and behind the camera and her part in it.

"It was after what happened to George Floyd that I began to wrestle with my having bought into systemic racism in ways I was never aware of," said Kauffman. "That was really the moment that I began to examine the ways I had participated. I knew then I needed to course-correct."

As a result, she pledged, "I want to make sure from now on in every production I do that I am conscious in hiring people of color and actively pursue young writers of color. I want to know I will act differently from now on."
On the show's 25th anniversary, Out looked at both its enduring appeal and reminded readers that "Friends is still really, really homophobic."

Some examples:

The male characters "showed a noted discomfort and disdain toward LGBTQ+ people," according to Out. Specifically, the publication cited Chandler's aversion to his transgender parent (played by Kathleen Turner) and an episode in which Ross "insists his male nanny must be gay."

Out observes that "nearly anytime LGBTQ+ people are brought up through the show, it's played for laughs" — whether it's the running joke that people think Chandler is gay or a bit where Joey convinces an acting student with whom he is competing for a role that the character should be played "homosexually."

The publication also calls out a tendency on Friends to trade on "gay panic for cheap laughs." One example cited: Joey and Ross freak out after accidentally falling asleep together on the couch. "What happened?" Ross screams, before insisting, "We fell asleep — that is all."

Aug 31, 2019
So my memory of Friends is pretty hazy. It was obviously very very white, but apart from that I don't remember anything comedically offensive about it? Like were there racist jokes I am not remembering?

Recently I re-watched some early season Scrubs, and was surprised by how gross some of the characters were in the context of today (eg the way JD / Turk talk about women). I do wonder if, upon rewatch, Friends would be similar.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
There is probably plenty in Friends that is offensive. Just assuming since it was on the air so long in that time. Regardless, the show could exist just fine today. Some part just would have been written differently and the main story plots and character development would be unchanged. Do not know about y'all or Aniston but I do not get my laughter from homophobia or transphobia these days and yet I am still laughing at plenty.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was in my teens when Friends aired and I honestly didn't get most of it. Just was not in that stage of life.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my memory of Friends is pretty hazy. It was obviously very very white, but apart from that I don't remember anything comedically offensive about it? Like were there racist jokes I am not remembering?

Recently I re-watched some early season Scrubs, and was surprised by how gross some of the characters were in the context of today (eg the way JD / Turk talk about women). I do wonder if, upon rewatch, Friends would be similar.

See my post which contains quotes from the OP's article

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Some parts are. Like constantly joking about Monica being obese when she was younger — honestly, this is so annoying and out of place. Also, the now uncomfortable practice of making "gay jokes" as a means to warm people up to the conversation is EXTREMELY dated.

Overall it wasn't terrible though, but by any metric it IS dated.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah, it's offensive that all six of them are white. None of their actual comedy is more daring.

May 14, 2021
Binged it all last year and the most troublesome part is the lack of diversity. A lot of the comedy still holds up and I was impressed with how consistently funny it was across 22+ episodes a season. It's also quite tame though. Friends biggest mistake is in its mocking of the overweight. Shows that came much later like 30 Rock that should have known better are far more offensive. Especially in regards to their treatment of trans individuals.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There is probably plenty in Friends that is offensive. The show could exist just fine today. Some part just would have been written differently and the main story plots and character development would be unchanged. Do not know about y'all or Aniston but I do not get my laughter from homophobia or transphobia these days and yet I am still laughing at plenty.

They did a new "Friends" like a decade ago, it was called Happy Endings.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

It's not the worst but there's a lot of "LOL Lesbians", there's the entire plot of Monica previously being larger that was treated appallingly, there's the alcoholic boyfriend bit that wasn't...great.

And literally everything involving Chandler's parents.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It's outdated, but it's also 30 years old. What do people expect?

Think back to the 90s and 30 year old shows that you might have caught on TV. 60s shows. 60s.
I remember watching Fawlty Towers in the 90s as a teenager and thinking it was dated AF and that's only a 70s show.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Think back to the 90s and 30 year old shows that you might have caught on TV. 60s shows. 60s.
I remember watching Fawlty Towers in the 90s as a teenager and thinking it was dated AF and that's only a 70s show.
Yep. I think folks miss this--a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

yup, big "oh no we're old" energy. Plus didn't gen z discover Friends on Netflix and LOVE it?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Honestly I feel like the problem with these people is that they have Nostalgia for the old days. Sorry, yes, you are getting older and shit changes.

She has it right at the start acknowledging the changes, but then seems saddened that to her things just are not as funny as they used to be.

But then they do not really stop to think why that might be and how comedy often came at the expense of mocking Minorities and the vulnerable. Instead it is everybody else that is the problem. She even tries to ignore that problem completely by saying "well actually we used to make fun of bigots". No Jen...

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
No one cared about the comedy…. It just wasn't diverse. Many shows back then fit argument that she is making.. like In Living Color. That show wouldn't work today.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Seinfeld is even older and aged alot better, it may have been predominantly white but it still had alot more diversity compared to friends.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i think about all the casual gay jokes from the 90s and its much of a muchness

fake acceptance in one hand, ridicule in the other

nowadays we're taking back our own meanings, and we are finally in control of our narratives

Deleted member 13360

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 23, 2023
There are a lot of things in this world that are not everlasting, and Friends is one of them. Be okay with and just move on (unless you were asked in an interview).

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was the most curious of the comments:

"In years past, "you could joke about a bigot and have a laugh — that was hysterical. And it was about educating people on how ridiculous people were," said Aniston. "And now we're not allowed to do that.""

This is probably specifically about Ross. Ross was afraid of being viewed as gay or questioned someone else's sexuality when a man was doing something he viewed as feminine (like caring for your family at home, lol). But I don't really remember that the show was acting as if Ross was right to act like a bigot, I felt like he was regularly portrayed as much more insecure than he thinks he is.

I think Aniston is wrong that you can't portray a bigot anymore and laugh about them. Many comedies did that after them even with protagonists, like Always Sunny, Community or even HIMYM. But it probably needs to be a bit more obvious that the character is in the wrong than it was in Friends.

There is still a lot of other cases of legit criticism against Friends, like there is very little to defend the fatsuit jokes nowadays for example. But I can kind lf see where Aniston is coming from cause some very specific criticism is a bit over the top because bigotry was usually not portrayed as the right thing.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
The occasional gay joke and the fat monica stuff wouldn't fly, but fat monica was the laziest shit even back then. The entire gag was "LOL Monica ate 5 chocolate bars!"

Aside from that, the show is pretty tame. It's even got a retro comeback with Gen Z.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of those 90s shows make gay jokes but I don't think Friends is racist. It's just not at all reflective of the place where it's set, or the reality of living in a city, or anything. It's just a bunch of people who overreact to mundane situations and occasionally sleep with each other.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
In years past, "you could joke about a bigot and have a laugh — that was hysterical. And it was about educating people on how ridiculous people were," said Aniston. "And now we're not allowed to do that."
Over the course of 10 seasons and 236 episodes, I can't think of a single time Friends tackled bigotry. Like, in any capacity.

And yeah, early Friends is glaringly homophobic.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
They did a new "Friends" like a decade ago, it was called Happy Endings.
I think it would be hard for any new show to try and replicate the Friend's formula with success moreso because people love the original. Like I would watch a show like that and think "they are trying so hard to be Friends. But this is not my Friends"...

Bengraven