• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
little-tramp-charlie-chaplin-eating-shoe-animated-gif.gif

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This does feel very intentional. Multiple people vetted this idea. This wasn't just a spur of the moment decision made by the chef.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
It's like these idiotic heads of state forgot how to fear their adversaries. All it takes is one person to lob a bomb back when they are offended based on their culture. Then maybe this crappy non-diplomatic behavior will stop?

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
A large amount of cultures wouldn't want to eat food out of a shoe. This was obviously done on purpose.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it is, it's a conclusion based on insufficient evidence. The mere fact that the Japanese prime minister said he would support iran nuclear deal does not mean he did this on purpose.

No, it isn't. We'll never know for sure, that's the insidious part. But it does seem quite likely with Bibis ridiculous presentation just a few days ago. And we're well past the point of attributing goodwill to Bibi.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
what an 'art'... israel has been getting very cocky to say the least that they can insult japanese pm.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
This would be offensively weird to anyone.

I'm not sure "Meeting with foreign Prime Minister" is the right time to bust out the ol' "food-in-shoe" experimental food art.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase anything from Israel. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Netanyahu has alienated an entire market with this move.

Netanyahu, publicly apologize and announce an end to shoe desserts or you can kiss your business goodbye.
+1

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bizarre way to serve food it seems unlikely that the sleight was unintentional

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Personal attack.
It's not insidious because we don't know. It's nothing because we don't know.

You should never make probable statements based on perception due to your apparent bias against Bibi.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1426009.Perception_and_Misperception_in_International_Politics

Perception matters in diplomacy. And yes, making probable statements is reasonable because we'll never know for sure.

Your entire contribution to this thread is essentially "I have nothing to say"

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Perception matters in diplomacy. And yes, making probable statements is reasonable because we'll never know for sure.

Also, fuck you.

In a contemporary application of Jervis's ideas, some argue that Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990 in part because he misread the signals of American leaders with regard to the independence of Kuwait. Also, leaders of the United States and Iraq in the run-up to the most recent Gulf War might have been operating under cognitive biases that made them value certain kinds of information more than others, whether or not the information was true. Jervis proved that, once a leader believed something, that perception would influence the way the leader perceived all other relevant information.

You don't understand logical arguments if you think that making a probable statement based on your perception of Bibi makes sense.

See you in a week!

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You wear shoes at a Japanese office.

I've seen little children's schools have a cabinet for storing shoes and homes but never offices.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Unless it's semi-common or not unusual for fancy Israel dinners to have this kind of dessert-in-shoe presentation, I'd say that was likely a deliberate dig that they went out of their way for. It's just too much of a coincidence.
How you gonna trust someone that's afraid of dogs though?
She was attacked by a large dog before and has been scared since.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
You don't understand logical arguments if you think that making a probable statement based on your perception of Bibi makes sense.

See you in a week!

This isn't about logic at all? And do you expect Bibi to come out and say this was meant as a disrespectful act? I'm really not quite sure what you're getting at here. How Bibi has carried himself in the past certainly matters to the evaluation of this current situation.

You seem like someone that isn't well-versed in politics at all trying to make a dig based on technicalities. It's not working.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I ain't gonna deny chocolate if I sees chocolate. Pass that shoe over to me, Mr. Prime Minister.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's semi-common or not unusual for fancy Israel dinners to have this kind of dessert-in-shoe presentation, I'd say that was likely a deliberate dig that they went out of their way for. It's just too much of a coincidence.

She was attacked by a large dog before and has been scared since.
It was mostly in jest. I was mauled by a Chow at the age of 5 and to this day they make me nervous. Like I said it was definitely a shitty thing to do to her.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
This isn't about logic at all? And do you expect Bibi to come out and say this was meant as a disrespectful act? I'm really not quite sure what you're getting at here.

Arguing that Bib did this on purpose....isn't about logic?

Let me get remedial here. Using Bibi's presentation as a justification for a probable statement doesn't work

1. There's nothing to indicate in that presentation that he would retaliate against anyone that didn't support him.

2. In order to justify a probable statement, you would need to present a history of Bibi retaliating against other nations for not towing the line. Like Putin does.

Hence, using the presentation as a basis for a probable statement is a leap in logic. Using Abe's statement is also a leap in logic.

You can BELIEVE it makes sense, but that doesn't make it LOGICAL.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017

Let me get remedial here. Using Bibi's presentation as a justification for a probable statement doesn't work

1. There's nothing to indicate in that presentation that he would retaliate against anyone that didn't support him.

2. In order to justify a probable statement, you would need to present a history of Bibi retaliating against other nations for not towing the line. Like Putin does.

Hence, using the presentation as a basis for a probable statement is a leap in logic. Using Abe's statement is also a leap in logic.

Are you just writing words to write words? Are you paid by the sentence? You're the one talking about logic where it doesn't belong.

And yes, it makes sense that is was intended as an offense and it certainly was taken that way.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

Except it's a dinner by a well-known chef.

You guys keep attributing to malice, what stupidity can also speak for.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Are you really arguing that someone put the Japanese Prime Minister's dinner in a shoe on ACCIDENT?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Nope, you got a little space at the entrance of the office where you're expected to remove and leave your shoes.
Huh, definitely not a thing for game companies. In my place you around with your shoes on, last company as well, and same for all the other companies I've visited.
In what kind of company do you work? If it's a more traditional large company, that might still be a thing?

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Are you just writing words to write words? Are you paid by the sentence? You're the one talking about logic where it doesn't belong.

And yes, it makes sense that is was intended as an offense and it certainly was taken that way.

I am seriously scared at the idea that you really think logic doesn't apply here.

I would quote Hanlon's Razor, but apparently logic doesn't apply here? LMAO

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
We'll never know for sure. But it does seem likely this was an intentional slight. Bibi has been out to kill the Iran deal for a long time, it's counter to his interests.

Again

You don't have ANY reasonable statements to make that suggest this was intentional.

Putin bringing in a dog to merkel was intentional because he was told that she was afraid of large dogs and has been known to do such things.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Again

You don't have ANY reasonable statements to make that suggest this was intentional.

Putin bringing in a dog to merkel was intentional because he was told that she was afraid of large dogs and has been known to do such things.

You're just being willfully obtuse. Acting like there's no way this was intentional isn't arguing in good faith.

Oct 27, 2017
Bibi is a trashy person. I am pretty sure he have seen the shoe before it was served so for this to happen is disgusting. He could have stopped it from being served if he wanted.

Also why the hell would anyone think of designing this plate? I would imagine that it would be hard to eat from it. (If you are not disgusted from it that is.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. There is nothing to suggest this was intentional because of Abe's support for an Iran deal. You have no presented a single thing here that would suggest it is so.

Maybe you should contact Shinzo Abe and link him your shitty book so he can be educated on the facts of the matter and how he shouldn't take offense to being served dessert in a shoe?