excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Jamie – who has adopted daughters Ruby, 27, and Annie, 36, with her 75-year-old husband Christopher Guest – added as she held up her Oscars statue and declared it was non-binary: "Here they are! In support of my daughter Ruby, I'm having them be a they/them. I'm just going to call them 'them' – they/them. And they are doing great. They are settling in."
[https://uk.style.yahoo.com/jamie-le...fc9qTXoL7ZPoEHW-0IMLtUfKx51O-XiQIgZOrhgBl-Kxd

I love her so much

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Jamie is the best. She's also an avid gamer, believe she went with one of her kids to Evo. Would love to play Street Fighter against her

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone should act like her. She's a fantastic mom, person, friend, and hype machine from everything I've seen.

Jamie is the best. She's also an avid gamer, believe she went with one of her kids to Evo. Would love to play Street Fighter against her

And she wants to play Dr. Kureha from One Piece!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And she wants to play Dr. Kureha from One Piece!

PLEASE let the Netflix show be renewed just for this

nami-dr-kureha.gif

tumblr_on1tmySyGH1qa8hrgo6_540.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: you're going to read this post and quote it. Don't, I'm already up to date, thanks. Keep to the thread.

I didn't watch but I thought the general air was she wasn't deserving of the Oscar (I've seen the film and I wouldn't think so and I don't even know who she was up against).

Saw a headline about Angela Basset not applauding her win.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't watch but I thought the general air was she wasn't deserving of the Oscar (I've seen the film and I wouldn't think so and I don't even know who she was up against).

ok......

Counterpoint: I thought she was super good in the movie and had to play a compelling person that is both a foil to the antagonist but also relatable and redeemable on top of playing 4-5 iterations of that same character from other worlds and doing a lot of physical comedy and action sequences which is not an easy ask.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

They both have great performances but EEAAO was the clear favorite this year so its a rising tide lifts all boats kind of situation. And if you're looking at the entire body of work then yeah I would say JLC deserved one, but so does Angela

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I think they were all deserving of the Oscar which is why they were nominated. But yeah, some did think Angela was more deserving. Nothing wrong with that, opinions and all. Jamie seems like a cool famous person.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

I'll admit that when I found out about Curtis' win, I was surprised that she was up for it and not Stephanie Hsu. That said, Curtis pretty much disappeared into the role, so I'm far from upset about it, even if I had expected Angela Basset to win the award.

But as for the topic at hand: that's awesome. Sent the article over to my partner, who is non-binary, and I hope it gives them a bit of spring to their step today.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is not the place to debate the merits of her win

Let us Trans community people have a win jfc

monodlee

Oct 28, 2017
I'll admit that when I found out about Curtis' win, I was surprised that she was up for it and not Stephanie Hsu. That said, Curtis pretty much disappeared into the role, so I'm far from upset about it, even if I had expected Angela Basset to win the award.

But as for the topic at hand: that's awesome. Sent the article over to my partner, who is non-binary, and I hope it gives them a bit of spring to their step today.
Stephanie Hsu was also nominated

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Teen me had a huge crush on her, and must have watched my VHS taped off of TV copy of trading places a million times. Never was into the Halloween series, but since then, just about every interview and news story about Jamie makes me love her more.

She seems like an absolute joy.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
She is Laurie Strode, a fighting game player, and an advocate for the trans community. It's hard to imagine her being any cooler. She rules and it rules that she won the oscar.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

and ok? lets say she wasnt. are we not allowed to have a lighthearted thread about the nonbinary oscar statue?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think Angela did a better job as far as the dramatic material (even in the short amount of screen time she had).
But Jamie's role was so fun and goofy, and I feel the Academy barely ever awards that.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
She is just amazing. You have to love a mother that so fiercely supports her children no matter what.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
did you know Jamie Lee Curits is a baroness by marriage and is entitled to call herself "The Right Honourable The Lady Haden-Guest"

I just think that's fun

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
She seems like such a good positive force. Anytime she's in the news its for good stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
and ok? lets say she wasnt. are we not allowed to have a lighthearted thread about the nonbinary oscar statue?
I feel stupid for bringing it up but kinda pleasantly surprised. I didn't really have a horse in the race, just surprised by a positive thread is all. It was just a knee jerk reaction when I expected a much different thread and vibe when I started reading the title. I didn't have to contribute but my mind went to that place and I was already in the thread. Whoops.

I personally would have hoped for the daughter to win (was she even noninated?) which has been on my mind since seeing Quan's acceptance speech and the rest of the accolades.

But, it's quite cool learning of this side of JLC.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
did you know Jamie Lee Curits is a baroness by marriage and is entitled to call herself "The Right Honourable The Lady Haden-Guest"

I just think that's fun

Yeah, I was worried Christopher would come from some awful high Tory family when I first heard about the title, but they were quite a wild bunch, one was a communist resistance fighter lol.

A cool couple.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I feel stupid for bringing it up but kinda pleasantly surprised. I didn't really have a horse in the race, just surprised by a positive thread is all. It was just a knee jerk reaction when I expected a much different thread and vibe when I started reading the title. I didn't have to contribute but my mind went to that place and I was already in the thread. Whoops.

I personally would have hoped for the daughter to win (was she even noninated?) which has been on my mind since seeing Quan's acceptance speech and the rest of the accolades.

But, it's quite cool learning of this side of JLC.
Yes, Stephanie Hsu was also nominated.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
jaimielee_610.jpg

Jamie Lee Curtis as Vega and Christopher Guest as Dr Bosconovitch

Fun story: I was at that EVO and was standing in one of the halls waiting for one of my buddies to come down, I saw the Vega cosplayer standing there down, Vega being my favorite SF Character (even got a tattoo) I walked up and said "Dope! Vega is my favorite! love your costume!"

They just replied "thank you so much!" And I said "no problem! See you around" and just went about the rest of the day.

About an hour or two later me and my buddies saw on twitter "Jamie Lee Curtis attends EVO with family" and that exact pic was posted. My jaw bout hit the floor. Lmao

I had a quick chat with JLC and didn't even know it haha 😅

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fun story: I was at that EVO and was standing in one of the halls waiting for one of my buddies to come down, I saw the Vega cosplayer standing there down, Vega being my favorite SF Character (even got a tattoo) I walked up and said "Dope! Vega is my favorite! love your costume!"

They just replied "thank you so much!" And I said "no problem! See you around" and just went about the rest of the day.

About an hour or two later me and my buddies saw on twitter "Jamie Lee Curtis attends EVO with family" and that exact pic was posted. My jaw bout hit the floor. Lmao

I had a quick chat with JLC and didn't even know it haha 😅

That's hilarious. What a cool little story.

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is not the place to debate the merits of her win

Let us Trans community people have a win jfc
I don't hate to tell you. But you're a winner in my eyes excelsiorlef! You rule!

Jaime Lee Curtis also rules. I went to a panel of hers at SDCC for the Halloween reboot. A guy flew across the country, just to meet her. He wanted to thank Curtis Personally for saving his life from a Serial Killer in his home. He mimicked her screaming from the original movie which alerted neighbors. As this guy told his story, he broke down. Jaime Lee Curtis walked off the stage to comfort him. I have a picture of this. I would post it if I knew how to post pictures on this board.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I don't know how, but while watching the movie I didn't realise that Deirdre Beaubeirdre was Jamie Lee Curtis. I feel like such a dunce.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Pause…she's married to Christopher Guest?? That's wild. Anyway, this is such an awesome thing. I love it when parents actually support and love their kids for who they are instead of being the assholes they frequently can be.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We stan an icon. Laurie Strode is the GOAT, and a Cammy main is always a plus in my book for that extra icing on the cake.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Pause…she's married to Christopher Guest?? That's wild. Anyway, this is such an awesome thing. I love it when parents actually support and love their kids for who they are instead of being the assholes they frequently can be.

Not only is she married to him, she's the one that pursued him, not the other way around.

Oct 25, 2017

The lineup of Guest, Curtis, Jean Todt (Yeoh's long time partner and giant of F1/racing), and Yeoh was quite the foursome on the front row of the Oscars.

Nov 29, 2018
That was my big takeaway too. And that Guest is seventy-five years old and like, apparently a British Baron who served in the House of Lords?