• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
As someone who was ready to buy Control on PS5, I think I will sadly have to pass until they rectify their massive fuck up.

I was actually one of the few people willing to give them a pass if it was indeed a resource issue but it seems it was just bullshit.

If you wanna be greedy just say so.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The game looks cool, but kinda flew under my radar. Guess I'm glad it did, because all of this sounds utterly ludicrous. I thought the excuse was that Control Ultimate had some like, changes to the game from the ground up that warranted a whole new version to be bought. I wasn't aware it was simply "we don't want to lock out a group from getting an upgrade."

Freakin lol

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem with control is that they won't even let you spend like 15-20$ to upgrade if you already have the game. Or even transfer your save somehow.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm lucky to not have bought Control yet, I'll be getting the new next-gen version but I really feel for fans of the game that want a simple upgrade. That's some BS, shame on 505 for trying to pull some nonsense.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Another great video from Jim. It's quite amazing that somebody compared supporting his channel via Patreon to paying for lootboxes. I want to take a tour inside the brain that made that logic leap.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Another great video from Jim. It's quite amazing that somebody compared supporting his channel via Patreon to paying for lootboxes. I want to take a tour inside the brain that made that logic leap.
Newspaper subscriptions are the original lootboxes, as you never know what the news will be the next day!

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I would post this in the inevitable Jimqisition thread that comes up, but here's good enough.

I genuinely struggle with consuming under a capitalism system that I live in. I wear Nike shoes, created in a sweatshop. I have a Samsung phone, built under slave like circumstances with materials that were acquired by destroying the environment.

It's, admittedly, hard to buy ANYTHING and not feel guilty. Do you have a smart phone? Then you, directly, hurt the world, just like I did.

However, It's important to find workarounds to not support these companies, and, if you must buy from these companies, you should still push against their bullshit and not shit on people that bring up what those companies did.

I really do struggle with this. It's not easy, but I have to live and I like stuff. But I'll be god damned if somebody tells me "you tried to fuck the world by doing (this)" and I get mad at them for opening my eyes.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I would post this in the inevitable Jimqisition thread that comes up, but here's good enough.

I genuinely struggle with consuming under a capitalism system that I live in. I wear Nike shoes, created in a sweatshop. I have a Samsung phone, built under slave like circumstances with materials that were acquired by destroying the environment.

It's, admittedly, hard to buy ANYTHING and not feel guilty. Do you have a smart phone? Then you, directly, hurt the world, just like I did.

However, It's important to find workarounds to not support these companies, and, if you must buy from these companies, you should still push against their bullshit and not shit on people that bring up what those companies did.

I really do struggle with this. It's not easy, but I have to live and I like stuff. But I'll be god damned if somebody tells me "you tried to fuck the world by doing (this)" and I get mad at them for opening my eyes.

Sorry if I sound like a bit of an arse but it really doesn't sound like you are struggling that much with it. If it affects you that much then its really easy to google for ethical companies. There are a lot of them out there, the stuff will cost more but that is the cost of them being an ethical company. Of course it isn't always possible especially with stuff like phones but you can buy second hand phones.

The easiest way though is just to buy less stuff and use what you have for as long as possible including repairing when you can. Oh and shop local.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if I sound like a bit of an arse but it really doesn't sound like you are struggling that much with it. If it affects you that much then its really easy to google for ethical companies. There are a lot of them out there, the stuff will cost more but that is the cost of them being an ethical company. Of course it isn't always possible especially with stuff like phones but you can buy second hand phones.

The easiest way though is just to buy less stuff and use what you have for as long as possible including repairing when you can. Oh and shop local.
You're not sounding like an ass, you're right! I've done that work and gradually change my consumption habits. I was just putting out there that if you live in the US engage in most entertainment, you're money may be going to hurtful things. It's why I mostly play indie games now and stopped buying Nike shoes (I was mostly using that as an example, even though I no longer buy their products).

EDIT: Sorry if I didn't mention shopping local, I do when I can. It's just hard where I live, not a lot of options.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
You're not sounding like an ass, you're right! I've done that work and gradually change my consumption habits. I was just putting out there that if you live in the US engage in most entertainment, you're money may be going to hurtful things. It's why I mostly play indie games now and stopped buying Nike shoes (I was mostly using that as an example, even though I no longer buy their products).

Honestly, that already a heck of a lot more than most people will do.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Another good video from Jim.
I agree with 99% of the stuff he says and I'm glad there is someone in the industry willing to call out all the bullshit.
I might actually do his Patreon thing, which I don't use at all right now (but I'm about to for Tim Rogers).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No new thread?

It's a good video and it's a difficult one to grapple with, ultimately I respect anyone's choice to boycott, skip or avoid anything they can't see themselves supporting, but at the same time it's hard not to support a lot of things you don't agree with

Even used games mean supporting Gamestop or Amazon most of the time, and they're not exactly companies with a clear record

The best thing we can do is to speak about about the things we don't agree with, raise awareness, challenge people, try and push things towards more positive outcomes

Edit: Made a thread since no one else had

www.resetera.com

A Video About Playing Videogames From Terrible Companies (The Jimquisition)

Didn't see a thread yet It's a good video and it's a difficult one to grapple with, ultimately I respect anyone's choice to boycott, skip or avoid anything they can't see themselves supporting, but at the same time it's hard not to support a lot of things you don't agree with Even used games...

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
"You could just not buy a video game."

Words to live by. Finally got around to watching this after missing it yesterday. About to jump into that video specific thread and hope for the best.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Time to set aside time during my lunch to watch this. Hope he talks about JK being a terf during the entirety of the Harry Potter reveal.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Really didn't like how he essentially didn't even watch the FFXVI video and made a bunch of assumptions while it was playing. He made fun of the name conventions but...didn't notice that one character's name is "Joshua", the most normal name ever. Mentioned big swords...except the main character is wielding a basic broadsword.

I don't usually get upset by this stuff because I know he isn't a big FF fan and I definitely don't go to his videos for anything SE related, but I had hoped for him to pay attention??? A little???

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Really didn't like how he essentially didn't even watch the FFXVI video and made a bunch of assumptions while it was playing. He made fun of the name conventions but...didn't notice that one character's name is "Joshua", the most normal name ever. Mentioned big swords...except the main character is wielding a basic broadsword.

I don't usually get upset by this stuff because I know he isn't a big FF fan and I definitely don't go to his videos for anything SE related, but I had hoped for him to pay attention??? A little???

He was talking good about the looks of the game, specifically the battle system. I got the impression from the trailer they will be sticking with something close to the FF7R battle system. Could be wrong though. Anyways, he was mentioning how Square seems to like to shake things up with every iteration and appreciated how FF7R fine-tuned FF15's system instead of just completely redoing it again......and then he goes into that strange tangent about the names, like you said.

He mentioned on today's podquisition about needing to get around to getting some meds for ADD? He does seem to be having issues focusing, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He was talking good about the looks of the game, specifically the battle system. I got the impression from the trailer they will be sticking with something close to the FF7R battle system. Could be wrong though. Anyways, he was mentioning how Square seems to like to shake things up with every iteration and appreciated how FF7R fine-tuned FF15's system instead of just completely redoing it again......and then he goes into that strange tangent about the names, like you said.

He mentioned on today's podquisition about needing to get around to getting some meds for ADD? He does seem to be having issues focusing, so I wouldn't be surprised.

If that is the case, then that makes sense. It was just weird because I hadn't really noticed it as much until this video.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that whole situation seems messed up. Good to see Jim and his team doing some more investigative stuff, though.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
OH hell yeah. Can't wait. Has to be tomorrow though because I'm about done with work and I got things to do lol

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Just got done with it. An amazing episode. An actual good output, so everyone claiming he's negative all the time can once again shove it.

Some highlights for me:

The fakeout hinting that Gav was going to show up, only for it to be Jonathan.
Gav showing up!
Gav mistaking Jonathan for Conrad.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Liked this one, it is going to be interesting to see how Bethesda changes/doesn't change with Microsoft's leadership. Also I completely forgot about some of the scummy stuff they did with Human Head, that is horrible.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Liked this one, it is going to be interesting to see how Bethesda changes/doesn't change with Microsoft's leadership. Also I completely forgot about some of the scummy stuff they did with Human Head, that is horrible.
I know John Carmack wants to re-engage on some of his old titles. If he actually does maybe it means things have gotten better?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I know John Carmack wants to re-engage on some of his old titles. If he actually does maybe it means things have gotten better?

Hopefully so, I would like to see Quake return, and be like the first game with it's dark, gothic atmosphere. If they do it along with bringing in Nine Inch Nails to do the soundtrack I would say "Thank you Microsoft!"

The ID Software acquisition is where things get interesting for me personally, I'm not a fan of Bethesda's output apart from that so hopefully in the future we'll see them do more great stuff.

Back on topic, yay for lobster claws.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
i hope microsoft slaps bethesda over the fucking head and makes them give human head the opportunity to fufill their original vision with Prey 2 in some fashion.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully so, I would like to see Quake return, and be like the first game with it's dark, gothic atmosphere. If they do it along with bringing in Nine Inch Nails to do the soundtrack I would say "Thank you Microsoft!"

The ID Software acquisition is where things get interesting for me personally, I'm not a fan of Bethesda's output apart from that so hopefully in the future we'll see them do more great stuff.

Back on topic, yay for lobster claws.
I don't think he was the Carmack mostly responsible for making Quake the gothic\lovecraftian horror game that it was, but if he can steer it in that direction, im all for it

That being said, I'm sure MS has more in mind for the companies than whether an old employee can come back

Last edited: