• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully I didn't go to hard in the most recent Jimquisition thread. I'm just so exhausted of seeing people hand waive and bitch about negative gaming news. A literal White supremacist conspiracy theory is pushed in a Ubisoft game, Jim points out their blatant hypocrisy, and people bitch that Jim is too negative too often. What's are they supposed to do, just ignore all the shit going on with this fucked up industry?

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I didn't go to hard in the most recent Jimquisition thread. I'm just so exhausted of seeing people hand waive and bitch about negative gaming news. A literal White supremacist conspiracy theory is pushed in a Ubisoft game, Jim points out their blatant hypocrisy, and people bitch that Jim is too negative too often. What's are they supposed to do, just ignore all the shit going on with this fucked up industry?

It was well put and very legitimate. Absolutely no worries.

I really didn't know until that thread that that sort of stance was that prevalent. It's simply disgusting that people are so quick to separate a corporation from the games it produces, just because it behooves them.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland

That was a good, welcome rant. I can't speak for the non-gaming side of the site, as I only post here, but I also don't keep up with these kinds of topics after a certain point of reading them - and certainly wouldn't think of getting involved in their "discussion" - because it's clear that so many users just don't give a fuck about the issues being discussed a lot of the time. I'm used to seeing this on Twitter too unfortunately, where I follow a number of people involved in comics, an industry that shares a number of the same issues as gaming.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Nah the post was great and more people should have the same outlook. Sadly some people here love to lionize devs and studios that exploit their workforce because MUH SHINY NEW TOY.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If anything, you didn't go hard enough, considering every single Jim Sterling thread gets derailed with the same type of comments and same type of characters. I would actually advocate a distilled version of your post be used as a standard disclaimer in all Gaming Side Jimquisition threads from here on out, it was that on target. I see a lot of people have already caught bans in the Ubisoft thread (and I believe all of them have caught perma thread bans too) so hopefully the moderation team is on board with stopping the constant shenanigans.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Im curious what the issue with it is, she's been in Rainbow 6 Siege for like 5 years and I've never heard anything about it?
Oh, I didn't know that.

Thing is, the game being called Elite Squad brings it to the forefront. Caveira (meaning skull) is the symbol of BOPE, the spec ops units of Rio's military police, an absurdly lethal and brutal police force. They are the face of police brutality in Brazil.

In the late 2000s, a José Padilha film about them called Elite Squad was a huge hit in Brazil. It suffers from Fight Club/American History X syndrome, where it succeeded because people thought the depiction of police brutality was cool, while the film's text is mostly critical (but clearly not enough).

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
this may be an unpopular opinion, but jimquisition really went downhill once Gavin left.

I wasn't a big fan of Gavin, and I think Conrad is a much better replacement.
Don't get me wrong, Gavin seems like a super chill dude, but I never felt like he had much to contribute, and Conrad at least brings some good discussion to the table.
If the show seems more negative, it's because the world at large is just in an even worse place right now.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
So his latest video had 203K views two hours ago. It hasn't gone up since.

Something is definitely up.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of Gavin, and I think Conrad is a much better replacement.
Don't get me wrong, Gavin seems like a super chill dude, but I never felt like he had much to contribute, and Conrad at least brings some good discussion to the table.
If the show seems more negative, it's because the world at large is just in an even worse place right now.

I think Conrad fits too well. He is too in sync with the rest of the group. He often times just enthusiastically agrees with what the rest is saying. I sometimes wish there would be some sort of argument and discussion. They all agree all the time. That is absolutely fine given the topics they had lately, I just wish there would be some form of contentious issues be it games or politics to add some spice to the discussion.

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
So yesterday I posted this:

That's sadly seems an issue with gaming in general, was sad to see people doing the same with Bioware with the Dragon Age 4 stuff and I admit I fell into the trap a bit as well with that one because I like Dragon Age but it's hard knowing what the devs there went through during Inquisition, Mass Effect and Anthem.

EA is a big one for this, too often through the years people do that with EA or say the hate for EA is unfair or just fans whiny about X thing, including journalists and pundits. This is despite the fact the hate comes from decades worth of bad behaviour from the infamous line of company closures, monetization and by far the worst, the infamous abuse of workers which resulted in laws being brought in California in the early and mid 00s that got outed by the EA Spouse blog which revealed:

We in the gaming community have a very short attention span sadly and something as a community really need to learn to deal with better.
Today when reading through Kotaku's recent article about EA removing ads from UFC4:

" Once folks noticed, a Reddit thread popped up and quickly moved to 90k likes and a comfortable spot on the site's front page. Reddit's collective "durh EA bad" default mindset obviously contributed there, "

Thanks for proving my point their Kotaku... It's just depressing to see how Journalists are so willing to ignore the past, like how is it only a very few in Game Journalism seems to remember EA Spouse blog?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I think Conrad fits too well. He is too in sync with the rest of the group. He often times just enthusiastically agrees with what the rest is saying. I sometimes wish there would be some sort of argument and discussion. They all agree all the time. That is absolutely fine given the topics they had lately, I just wish there would be some form of contentious issues be it games or politics to add some spice to the discussion.

The last podquisition actually had Laura enjoying the new Avengers game and speaking highly of the story and the representation it brought to the table. Like, this is the first time I heard that Miss Marvel was a big component in the story? And then I learned why marketing focused less on her due to angry fans(tm). But yeah, that example alone is the most recent disagreement, since Jim still thought the game was rubbish due to its gameplay loop. (Even if he appreciated Miss Marvel herself)

When it comes to politics, I don't see them ever having any disagreements since they all align pretty closely. And to be honest, I don't see what having someone opposite of them politically would bring to the table. Might just be a personal thing, but the usual talking points people on the other end of them usually boils down to rubbish takes like "forced diversity" or "artist intention." I forget which Jimquisition Jim mentioned it in (I just know it was fairly recent), but his and Laura's right to just exist shouldn't be a point of political debate.

Wait, but just two days ago we had a thread complaining about EA adding ads and how egregious that was, and fans were shitting it up to say that it gave a more authentic UFC experience and it wasn't that bad!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"Best Zelda game ever made"

I non-ironically agree with Jim here. Don't @ me

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Morrigan Sorry, gonna have to call you out......

............To infrom you that this maybe the one Zelda game I put the most hours into. It's really freakin good. XD

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Remember when a mainline Zelda let you play as another character and it was still just Link...

... As a wolf...

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he enjoyed it, but it's THQ Nordic and that's gonna be a no from me. I feel like he was about to comment on their despicable shit in the intro but he kinda sidestepped around it. Ah well, not everything needs to be a fight though I wish he used the chance and his platform to remind everyone the pieces of shit who are okay associating with nazi pedophiles are still working there.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found a few things from Destructoid he'd written on it. Gotta give him credit - he's been on the game's train since the beginning.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have no idea.

Like what is the list of shit that guy did? I know he defrauded money out of road Island to make the original game and when the company went under workers were left unpayed IIRC. I think I even remember seeing his name pop up this year in some negative fashion. I got the original and liked it but never got far. As long as he does not get money I could see myself picking this up.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask does Kurt Shilling make any money off of the remaster?

When it was first announced someone pointed out that he does not. But it does go to THQ Nordic, which is pretty fuckin' gross too.

Like what is the list of shit that guy did? I know he defrauded money out of road Island to make the original game and when the company went under workers were left unpayed IIRC. I think I even remember seeing his name pop up this year in some negative fashion. I got the original and liked it but never got far. As long as he does not get money I could see myself picking this up.

He's a creationist, opposes same-sex marriage, compared muslims to nazis, made some anti-trans comments / memes that got him fired from ESPN, has a show on Breitbart News, and supports Trump. In addition to the gross shit that went down at 38 Studios.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When it was first announced someone pointed out that he does not. But it does go to THQ Nordic, which is pretty fuckin' gross too.

He's a creationist, opposes same-sex marriage, made some anti-trans comments that got him fired from ESPN, has a show on Breitbart News, and supports Trump. In addition to the gross shit that went down at 38 Studios.

God damn its all a mess.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Dang, I'm glad I never actually bought Amalur after learning all this, lol. I knew about the guy mishandling his studio funds and the grant thing from Rhode Island, but nothing else.

I think I got this game for free through PS+ on PS3 way back in the day. If I ever get the inkling to play it, I'll just download that one. Don't see a reason to put money towards this one. Not sure what THQ Nordic's done, but it's probably enough to keep me away.