• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait there's a newer development? Oh gosh, what happened?
Lead designer is a huge gamergater that has a youtube channel basically dedicated to attack Anita Sarkeesian and SJWs.

Oh and according to him WB is ok with it.

www.resetera.com

Hogwarts Legacy senior producer Troy Leavitt, a game dev who used to make anti-feminist and pro gamer-gate videos (staff post added)(Up: Resigns)

The tweet that brought this into my attention And well, this shit is real and you can see by yourself: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLrOm_M6dSSmCun7ijgg9Dw His linkedin which confirms his position(his twitter also says the same but I don't know if it would be cool to link here, just...

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Lead designer is a huge gamergater that has a youtube channel basically dedicated to attack Anita Sarkeesian and SJWs.

Oh and according to him WB is ok with it.

www.resetera.com

Hogwarts Legacy senior producer Troy Leavitt, a game dev who used to make anti-feminist and pro gamer-gate videos (staff post added)(Up: Resigns)

The tweet that brought this into my attention And well, this shit is real and you can see by yourself: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLrOm_M6dSSmCun7ijgg9Dw His linkedin which confirms his position(his twitter also says the same but I don't know if it would be cool to link here, just...
Probably the stuff about the Lead Dev getting revealed as having run an Alt-Right youtube channel.

Thanks, I dipped into that thread and seeing some of the snapshots from Twitter and Youtube.......Just......yikes.

Can't believe people were seriously spouting off "Don't punish the developer!" nonsense when it was just Rowling. I see the goalpost has now moved to "Well I don't want to punish the others for one bad guy."

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like Evolve, Battlebord, Final Fantasy XIV Online, Anthem, and now Avengers. The gaming industry simply doesn't learn.

Oh wait...

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The excuses used to make Marvel Avengers more grindy is some real big brain shit that I never thought I'd hear from a developer. Not after EA's "sense of pride and accomplishment" nonsense.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Heads up everyone looks like the last video got taken down with that developer I just got an email from patron about it.

Partial quote
So as a heads up. Gilson B. Pontes, the terrible game designer, is pretty much aiming to get my YT channel fraudulently removed. He is one false copyright claim away from it.

Obviously this will be challenged, but if there are any issues, be aware this is the reason.

It is not a good time for this clownishness and I have no patience for it. This is not 2014, and I have a lot more shit in my life to get on with

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they are well ahead of the curve depending on what happens to their channel (there's one strike left and one video of that dude's game on the channel...). They have contingency plans in place.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

I hope Jim's channel survives, I've been trying to back up what I can but there's loads of videos out there and it would be a shame if they all vanished. Hopefully they can legally push back against Gilson's bullshit.

If I was Gilson I would own into this "bad developer making endearing games" thing he had going, I remember when Jim criticised the future developer of Five Nights At Freddy's when the cutesy game they made featured horrifying looking creatures, and instead of going "Argh Jim" and stuff, they played into it and now it's spawned a massive franchise!

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I haven't actually watched the Jimpressions, but is this the guy that always has a game on the Top 10 Shittiest every year?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
YV6N2AY.gif

Yes Jim, I love it. Keep upgrading that outfit.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm starting to lose hope in these multiple topics per video format for Jimquisitions. I feel like none of the topics get the kind of coverage I expect from Jim.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I agree with them on the latest video. It's a grey area, don't get me wrong. I remember a huge Saturn guy on YouTube saying similar with PDS and other crazy expensive games, or at least getting repros done.

It's an iffy thing. Miss my Vita :(

I say we could talk about it. After all, we have actual EA shills here... And a weekly thing about nintendo should nickel and dime people

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take:

Play whatever difficulty you like!

Also, fuck difficulty based trophies!

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
Gatekeeping regarding difficulty levels is awful. You even see it in this very community when people mock critics or reviewers for playing on easy

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
Gatekeeping regarding difficulty levels is awful. You even see it in this very community when people mock critics or reviewers for playing on easy
I think it depends if the critic's audience plays on easy, but you could argue that all of them do. One thing I dislike about gatekeepers is they support metacritic for bad reasons

Assy Grass

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
I think it depends if the critic's audience plays on easy, but you could argue that all of them do. One thing I dislike about gatekeepers is they support metacritic for bad reasons
The point of a review is largely to make an assessment of how the game will be as a product for the bulk of their readership. It's important to remember very few enthusiasts will actually make decisions based on reviews, because they're plugged in to upcoming releases and decide for themselves. The bulk of people who decide based on IGN or Polygon are the more "casual" (I hate that word but I can't think of a better alternative that conveys my meaning) buyer who may be looking for some idea of how the game might be. The reviewer's experience reflects that kind of buyer. Based on trophy and achievement stats we already know that most people do play on lower difficulties.
And honestly even if they didn't, a reviewer's tolerance for higher difficulties shouldn't be what is used to judge their worth. As long as they're upfront about what difficulty they played on and how that informed their experience (for example, "I played Yakuza 0 on Easy, and on that difficulty at least the combat became button mashy fairly quickly), I'm not sure what's wrong with that either. This whole difficulty based gatekeeping reeks of the "gamer" mentality that's behind so much of the toxicity found in the medium's audience, and I'm actually surprised it persists even on places like this. Places like Reddit or GAF? I get it. Here? We're supposed to be better, and with this, we fail.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Haven't actually watched Sterling vid for a while, it was quite good! Important subject too. I like that they aren't just critical of devs and pubs, but often also the gaming community part of the industry. Shitheads need to be called out once in a while.
The point of a review is largely to make an assessment of how the game will be as a product for the bulk of their readership. It's important to remember very few enthusiasts will actually make decisions based on reviews, because they're plugged in to upcoming releases and decide for themselves. The bulk of people who decide based on IGN or Polygon are the more "casual" (I hate that word but I can't think of a better alternative that conveys my meaning) buyer who may be looking for some idea of how the game might be. The reviewer's experience reflects that kind of buyer. Based on trophy and achievement stats we already know that most people do play on lower difficulties.
And honestly even if they didn't, a reviewer's tolerance for higher difficulties shouldn't be what is used to judge their worth. As long as they're upfront about what difficulty they played on and how that informed their experience (for example, "I played Yakuza 0 on Easy, and on that difficulty at least the combat became button mashy fairly quickly), I'm not sure what's wrong with that either. This whole difficulty based gatekeeping reeks of the "gamer" mentality that's behind so much of the toxicity found in the medium's audience, and I'm actually surprised it persists even on places like this. Places like Reddit or GAF? I get it. Here? We're supposed to be better, and with this, we fail.
Really well put, appreciated.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the absolute fucking privileged life one needs to think streamers opting to play a game on easy is worth being upset about.

I really enjoyed this week's episode and glad I can finally put a name to CaseyExplosion. I watched the hbomberguy charity stream VOD last year while working from home and she was just a great guest whenever she was one and highlighting indie games is always appreciated.

It's crazy to think where this channel came from. Used to be just a channel that laughed at asset flips to providing some overt critiques of capitalism through the gaming medium and the very serious harm Ubisoft has done. Such a great channel and also an incredibly fun twitch channel.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
A very good video. Almost glad that it didn't get it's own thread, as I'd rather not have to see some of the hot takes that permeate any that dare mention difficulty levels.

"Games aren't for everybody." "It's okay this type of game is just not for you." "If they implement difficult levels I'll be TEMPTED to use it!" (My favorite) etc etc etc. Like I get it, I'm not a fan of several genres. But the defense force for HARD GAMES is just mind numbing.

I loved the combat of FF7R. Ran through Normal and again on Hard. I got a couple of friends in a discord that aren't so great with action battles, so they played on Easy. Because of this option, they were able to beat it and we could discuss the game and hypothesize for the future. Would we have gotten those conversations if Square locked people out from an Easy mode or the "Turned Based" battle mode? I couldn't fathom giving them shit or just spouting "git gud" at them for not playing the same way I did.

More in line with the video, the last time I streamed on Twitch, it was for these same friends on discord. I was playing the new FF8 Remaster, since they never saw it. Some random enters my chat and shits on me for using the provided cheats. Like...why? I've beaten the PS1 version of the game multiple times now. I have nothing to prove to random internet strangers. I just wanted to get through the story with my buddies.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it, I can't realy disagree with anything he says about Outriders being online only is BS, but it's a damn fun game so I put up with it. I'm part of the problem

Last edited: