darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Screenshot_2023-01-15_23-39-15.png

This is kinda a PSA post, because in my experience even some hardcore fans of the classics didn't know that these movies are available in awesome Blu-ray Remasters. The catch is that a lot of them are region locked to Region B. Awesome for the Europeans but for American fans we have to jump through a couple of hoops. If you don't want to deal with region locked titles there are a lot of Region A options as well and more coming as time goes on. But here's a brief introduction on how to get started buying and watching these awesome releases.

First you'll need a Region Free Player
There are no official region free players but there's plenty after market modified players sold on amazon. I bought mine for about $130 but you might be able to find one cheaper. Mine has worked perfectly and I basically use it as a Hong Kong movie box I always have plugged in.

Get acquainted with the labels/distributors
The two main labels that put out most frequently are Eureka Films and 88 Films. Both Region B companies and they sometimes even licensed the same movies and try and one up each other with their releases. They're competition might make it confusing at times to know which one to buy, but basically weigh the pros and cons of which you like better. For example:

The "In the Line of Duty" "franchise" is being released piece meal by Eureka Films
EKA70482_YesMadam-newOCARD-pack_website.jpg
EKA70483_RoyalWarriors-OCARD-website-500px.jpg
EKA70488_ItLoD3-OCARD-website-pack.jpg
EKA70489_ItLoD4-OCARD-website-pack.jpg

VS

88 Films are doing one boxset with all 4 films
qzjde5g797v91.jpg

I'm waiting for 88 film's box set for a couple of reasons but my main reason is the next topic-

Caring WAY too much about box art
Let me tell you. Some of these covers are DOPE AF.
Scan.jpeg
The%2BMaster%2Bfront%2Bcopy.jpeg
88FB529TigerCageTrilogy2D_800x.jpg

Sometimes I make my whole purchase decision based on the box art. Sometimes I have no choice but to get some art I don't like but usually I have my cake and eat it too.

I think my two favorite artist are
Kung Fu Bob and Sean Longmore

The cool Special Features and Frank Djeng Appreciation Society
These release have decent extras included, typically old interviews and sometimes newer featurettes. But by far the best thing these releases have to offer is Frank Djeng audio commentary.
image.png

Who is Frank Djeng? Well he used work for Tai Seng Entertainment where he remastered over 100 films earning the nickname "Master of Remaster" he co-host the Comic-Con Superhero Kung Fu Extravaganza Panel. I know most of this from the top of my head because that's how he always introduces himself at the start of the commentaries. Bottom line is these commentaries are very informative and fun to listen to. He explains all the double entendres and cultural reference that are lost on me. I've seen some of these movies like 20 time but it only take one Frank Djeng watch to blow my mind and appreciate it in completely new ways.

Region A or Region Free Releases
Arrow Video and Vinegar Syndrome release some in Region A. There are some awesome titles you should look at.

All 4k films are Region Free. For Example:
Eureka's Police Story Box Set plays on any 4k Player.

EKA70470_PS-Trilogy-3D-Hardcase-website-500px.jpg

And 88 Film's 4k release of Dragons Forever plays on any 4k player
US88FU002DragonsForeverUHD2D_800x.jpg

More and more of these are getting released in both Region A and B or on 4k so you can jump in and buy some without worrying about getting a region free player. But I recommend buying one now so you don't miss out on some really cool box sets. A lot of 88 Films releases sell out very quick.

Dar's Recommendations
If you're like me and you got in to Hong King action with Jackie Chan then there's probably A LOT of stuff you have missed. I'll skip most of the classic Jackie stuff and I'll post some of the stuff me or my friend have bought that have made me really happy we branched out.

Shawscope Vol 1(Region A) and 2. These amazing sets are perfect for someone like me who have seen a handful of the more famous Shaw Brothers movies, but I needed a broader education on their classics. The scope of the studio's talent and production pipeline was absolutely nuts. Also it has some really good special features that does a good job of contextualizing the films.
image.png

Righting Wrongs(Region A) is one of those grandmaster action classics that alluded a lot of us fans who came in through Jackie Chan movies. This is a relatively dark story about vigilante justice with over the top action. Yuen Biao puts on a clinic and Cynthia Rothrock is always awesome to watch. This is one of those that has another release in Region B with WAY better box art imo(Pictured on the right).
image.png
righting-wrongs-blu-ray-deluxe-collectors-edition-88films-524990_1024x1024.jpg

Millionaire Express(Region B) This is an epic action ensemble headed by Sammo Hung. This may be my favorite movie I've bought of these. Just absolutely epic action comedy stuff featuring pretty much everyone who is famous in Hong Kong(except for Jackie). This one has a upcoming Region A release from Arrow and the cover is pretty dope. Pictured on the right.
EKA70477_MillExpress_StandardEd_webs-pack-500px.jpg
image.png

Here's a trailer for the Eureka release:

View: LISgv3LcenQ

There's honestly too much to post(and this OP is already MEGA LONG) but I'd love to hear everyone else's recommendations too. My friend and I have a googlesheet of our purchases. Which can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EmnYF7VYG8Mxzg3mTsJzg6VQ08I4zvM9qfDVE4NCoOk/edit?usp=sharing

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Over the holidays, got Vinegar Syndrome's Burning Paradise release. Ringo Lam only made one wuxia, but he made a goddamn masterpiece. Part Gothic wuxia, part prison exploitation thriller, part Temple of Doom. (it's currently on sale too)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XriPWcAuySI

BURNINGPARADISEBLUSLIP_600x.jpg

(Also got that In The Line of Duty set pre-ordered. A box of pure HK gold right there!)

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I watched Righting Wrongs for the first time last year and thought it was great.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
As a result of this thread I just bought the Dragons Forever set.

Didn't even know it was available. Thanks!

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
golly that's a thread bookmark. since most streaming services* are failing me on the hong kong cinema front, i guess i'm gonna have to pick up a region-free player soon.

*that said, i've heard some noise about martial arts-centric streaming apps like Hi-Yah. does anyone have experience with that? is it any good?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched these yet but they all sound good and the box just screamed fun

519P65TlsaL._AC_SY780_.jpg

OP
OP
darfox8

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Haven't watched these yet but they all sound good and the box just screamed fun

519P65TlsaL._AC_SY780_.jpg
I LOVE the Luck Stars movie but they are horn ball comedies. The boys do elaborate pranks to hug and grope women. Definitely not PC for now a days but there's some legit hilarious set pieces and awesome action in the second one. I HIGHLY recommend it but I have to give that warning. My friends call them "the horny boys".

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
golly that's a thread bookmark. since most streaming services* are failing me on the hong kong cinema front, i guess i'm gonna have to pick up a region-free player soon.

*that said, i've heard some noise about martial arts-centric streaming apps like Hi-Yah. does anyone have experience with that? is it any good?
It's good. Not quite Shudder for action, but enough old and new exclusives along with a solid curated catalogue of films to be worthwhile.

You won't find Angela Mao's Broken Oath or Corey Yuen's She Shoots Straight streaming anywhere else

420blzUP

Banned
Oct 6, 2022
I love HK Cinema so much! I need more girls with guns releases tho. Moon Lee need to be more known, respected and appreciated!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaannnnnd subscribed :)

Really loving these boutique home video labels.

I was just made aware of Radiance, and they seem to put a lot of thought into their packaging and catalog selections. I just ordered "Big Time Gambling Boss" which releases tomorrow, and "A Woman Kills", which has been lost for 45 years. And they have a Franco Nero Mafia film set arriving in a few months.

View: https://youtu.be/xyRfPPf4lCI

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE the Luck Stars movie but they are horn ball comedies. The boys do elaborate pranks to hug and grope women. Definitely not PC for now a days but there's some legit hilarious set pieces and awesome action in the second one. I HIGHLY recommend it but I have to give that warning. My friends call them "the horny boys".

Sounds fun!

7d51ea9b-478d-408c-9131-8f22ec046a1e_text.gif

OP
OP
darfox8

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
As a result of this thread I just bought the Dragons Forever set.

Didn't even know it was available. Thanks!
Then it was all worth it!

Yea as More_Badass said there's some good stuff that hasn't been released on these labels yet. She Shoot Straight was a new favorite of mine. I feel like it has a lot of mediocre stuff but there's some gold.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It was only a few years ago when Region A collectors were bemoaning the lack of martial arts releases. Boy, have things changed already. Between Arrow, VS, Error 4444, Shout! Factory, and 88 Films, we are sitting good.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It was only a few years ago when Region A collectors were bemoaning the lack of martial arts releases. Boy, have things changed already. Between Arrow, VS, Error 4444, Shout! Factory, and 88 Films, we are sitting good.
The only real frustration is these restored releases "fixing" the films by toning down/outright removing the saturated look or blue lighting that was so prevalent during the era. That trend needs to die, straight up stripping out so many texture and atmosphere

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
Is there anywhere to watch the greatest action-comedy cop show of the late 90s, Martial Law?

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017

Serein

Mar 7, 2018

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, this community thread exists:

www.resetera.com

There's a lot of classic martial arts films available on blu-ray in region B these days Entertainment

I've always been a huge martial arts film fan, and for years have been sad that very little of that genre has made it to the HD era. However in the last few years, two UK based distributors, Eureka and 88 Films have started releasing quite a few martial arts films. Eureka tends to go for the...
And an Action Cinema community thread too

OP
OP
darfox8

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
FYI, this community thread exists:

www.resetera.com

There's a lot of classic martial arts films available on blu-ray in region B these days Entertainment

I've always been a huge martial arts film fan, and for years have been sad that very little of that genre has made it to the HD era. However in the last few years, two UK based distributors, Eureka and 88 Films have started releasing quite a few martial arts films. Eureka tends to go for the...
I searched Hong Kong and Kung Fu I guess I should have searched martial arts...

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up -- it's looking like Shout Factory has a deal to release those Eureka titles in Region A -- Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain and Iron Monkey are both coming out in Region A next month (February 16).

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Reads like a documentary on Jackie Chan's real life when he is not busy supporting the CCP's brutal crackdowns on freedoms in Hong Kong.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'd pay money for an official streaming channel of this stuff. If this was like Shudder, I'd be all in as I'm all digital.
I'm mostly digital--95 percent. But there are just things that will probably never make streaming services permanent due to complex film rights stuff. Heck, there's stuff stuck in VHS, LD, and DVD still. So I am grateful for these companies.

OP
OP
darfox8

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Reads like a documentary on Jackie Chan's real life when he is not busy supporting the CCP's brutal crackdowns on freedoms in Hong Kong.
These are ensemble comedies with a lot of famous comedians and I've heard a few of them had their metoo problems. I really do love the movies but it's definitely skeezy to see all the boys will be boys shit. Just gotta be aware of what it is.

kinda weird that criterion only has Police Sotry 1 and 2.
I think Supercop was tied up with Miramax/Dimension films. UK releases don't have that issue. I think.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man alive these boxsets are beautiful. The ones that are region free should play on one of the newer consoles right?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Can you share a link?

Also thanks OP for this thread.
Mei Ah's channel has alot of their older film, which have Andy Lau, Sammo hung, and other star

Chinese movie..

Youku's official movie channel also has their movie

CCTV movie channel has older movie too

Iqi Movie official channel

HuashiMovie

TV serie, TVB has alot of older serie seperate into category

Classic

Classic Drama

Best Drama

Action/Wuxia

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Mei Ah's channel has alot of their older film, which have Andy Lau, Sammo hung, and other star

Chinese movie..

Youku's official movie channel also has their movie

CCTV movie channel has older movie too

Iqi Movie official channel

HuashiMovie

TV serie, TVB has alot of older serie seperate into category

Classic

Classic Drama

Best Drama

Action/Wuxia
Wow, thank you for all the links.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wow, thank you for all the links.

If you like cooking, or archeology, CCTV channel also has alot of good thing, but watch thing that are older then 4 year old, all the recent are China is best, when before it focus on the other aboriginal culture, food and thing, or historical and archeology with actual historian.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
These are ensemble comedies with a lot of famous comedians and I've heard a few of them had their metoo problems. I really do love the movies but it's definitely skeezy to see all the boys will be boys shit. Just gotta be aware of what it is.

I think Supercop was tied up with Miramax/Dimension films. UK releases don't have that issue. I think.
They did have that issue here too; the 4K versions only came out a few months ago. A set of just Police Story 1&2 was released in the UK by Eureka about a year before the Criterion release in the US. Police Story 3 is getting released soon in the US by 88.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, this thread just sold me a copy of the Police Story Trilogy 4K set. Buying something from Eureka has to be one of the sketchier checkouts, though. Worldpay? What is this, 2006? I just hope it actually makes it to Canada, but literally everywhere else is sold out of the thing.

Have my eye on that In the Line of Duty boxset too, at least that one's still in pre-order.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
It's been hard to find Shawscope Volume 2 in Canada for a decent price, the only place left really is Unobstructed View and they have a $20 box set surcharge which hurts a little. Thankfully all of the movies are on the Arrow streaming service, but missing those bonus features is no fun.

I've got Magnificent Warriors preordered (curse you, delay, we could have had it by now!), and once the In the Line of Duty set is ready for preorder here that's getting nabbed up lightning fast.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's been hard to find Shawscope Volume 2 in Canada for a decent price, the only place left really is Unobstructed View and they have a $20 box set surcharge which hurts a little. Thankfully all of the movies are on the Arrow streaming service, but missing those bonus features is no fun.

I've got Magnificent Warriors preordered (curse you, delay, we could have had it by now!), and once the In the Line of Duty set is ready for preorder here that's getting nabbed up lightning fast.

I try not to give Unobstructed View my business after the owner sent out a bizarre rant about how the Oscars were too woke in a newsletter a few years back. He did at least apologize for it, but it didn't really make me feel great, so since then I've tried to find other sources for stuff and buying from Criterion directly instead.

I'm looking at getting In the Line of Duty set from a Vancouver place called Videomatica, who apparently used to operate out of Zulu Records until very recently so they're probably cool people.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to give Unobstructed View my business after the owner sent out a bizarre rant about how the Oscars were too woke in a newsletter a few years back. He did at least apologize for it, but it didn't really make me feel great, so since then I've tried to find other sources for stuff and buying from Criterion directly instead.

I'm looking at getting In the Line of Duty set from a Vancouver place called Videomatica, who apparently used to operate out of Zulu Records until very recently so they're probably cool people.
Yeah, I stopped buying from UV when it took five months to get the Human Condition trilogy (and seeing on Twitter that people were getting it during a sale while I was still waiting), I had no idea about that whole thing. Definitely staying away.

Thanks for mentioning Videomatica, their prices are way more reasonable than Amazon's! Their Line of Duty set price is super good, plus they have the Shawscope set. I'm probably going to give them a chance.