.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth is this reasonable?

I see a lot of truth in that statement when looking at my mother, for example, who despite dire weight, cardiovascular and bowel issues related to her diet won't eat more vegetarian or less (red) meat, because she perceives it as poor people food, not providing enough nutritional value, not giving enough energy, and a range of other misguided ideas based on popular media representing vegetarian or vegan diets as unsustainable.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
gotta say in my personal experience an impossible burger reeks up the kitchen a lot worse than beef does

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
𖦹
gotta say in my personal experience an impossible burger reeks up the kitchen a lot worse than beef does
I think it has to do with the smell invoking a certain emotion. Similar to hearing the alarm you wake up to out in the wild sometimes gives you instant anxiety/nausea or hearing a song that instantly transports you to a memory.

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't really explain how labeling most of the world as brainwashed is reasonable. Humans have consumed animal products for thousands of years before mass communication or even writing. Are members of vegetarian cultures also brainwashed?

You also completely skipped the addicts part, care to elaborate?

I know is the go to for some folks (mainly first world whites), but I would appreciate if you could refrain from comparing eating meat to racism. The comparison with misogyny is also in bad taste.

I think you might be confusing what I said with what Cereza said, unless they also said similar things. I'll try to explain:

Brainwashing - People have been eating animals and animal produce for thousands of years, but the industrialised agricultural machine is a recent (in relative terms) invention. It is significantly crueller than "traditional" farming methods, and is largely fuelled by a consumer desire for animal products rather than a necessity to feed a population. I'll admit that the term "Brainwashing" is somewhat alarmist, but it is technically true and the point is to envoke a response. The advertisements we see on TV, billboards, radio etc. showcasing happy cows in fields, happy chickens roaming around etc. are more or less entirely lies, or at best don't tell the full story. They are propaganda pieces put out in order to convince people that the consumption of these animals "is fine" and to cover up the true exploitation that is being carried out. Many people have no idea what large-scale animal farms are actually like and believe that they're all "Old McDonald" style fairytales. It's not their fault, it's what they've been told to believe.

Side Note: Veganism seeks to reduce animal suffering as much as is reasonably possible. Most vegans understand that there are some areas where the use of animal products is near unavoidable. In first world countries this would be areas such as medicine where animal testing is required in order for a medicine to be approved for public use, or the medicine itself may be derived from animal produce. In developing nations this can be extended to agriculture where the countries and the people living within them do not have the ability to get alternative sources of sustenance. To be clear, we would not consider those people Vegan, but we would also not chastise them for their way of living, we would just personally choose not to participate in it (as we don't need to).

Addiction - Addicts are not bad people, let's be clear on that. Some bad people are addicts, but being an addict does not make one inherently bad. Addiction manifests in many forms. I've been addicted to games, for example. Many people are addicted to tobacco, gambling etc. Seldom do we ever blame the individual for being addicted to something. Normally that blame lies at the hands of the producer.

In the case of people who have been confronted with the realities of industrialised animal agriculture they typically have two responses: They'll either change their way of life to prevent participating in that, or they won't.

If they chose the latter, you have to ask why? Is it because they don't believe what they've been told or seen, or is it because they just don't want to stop doing what they're doing? Again, if its the latter then you need to ask why would someone who believes the evidence not choose to remove themselves from that system? Why would they actively contribute towards it? Well, I believe it's because they are addicted. I've heard countless times "I just couldn't live without cheese, steak, chicken etc." (Disclosure: In the past I said this myself) Now we all know thats hyperbole, you absolutely could, you just don't want to, or think that you couldn't.

I find this view also helps when trying to come to terms with the fact that people you love (friends, family) are doing things that you find morally repugnant. I know that these people are not bad people, I know they don't actively want to hurt or inflict suffering on anyone or anything, so why do they contribute to mechanisms that do so?

As I said before, I'd never blame an Addict for being addicted, I only blame the supplier.

Culture - It may interest you to know that whilst the term "Vegan" is a relative new one (First appearing in the 1940s) many cultures around the world have had very similar views that predate the Vegan movement by hundreds if not thousands of years. Jain Buddhism prevents the eating of any animal products and even some vegetables where the entire plant would have to be killed in order for it to be eaten. There are also offshoots of Hinduism that observe similar restrictions, and even "Ital" food from the Rastafari movement (Though it should be noted that the reasoning for the restriction in "Ital" doesn't appear to be necessarily an ethical one - though full disclosure I only heard about this a few months ago and don't know that much about it)

Unfortunately, I have to scoot now and won't be able to reply in-depth to anything (Holiday time!) but I hope that explains my position a bit better. I don't expect you to agree with me, I just hope you can understand my point of view :)

jem

Oct 25, 2017
You might not have intended it but it was def patronizing
It's quite difficult not to be patronising when discussing this topic.

The fact is that if you regularly eat meat you're most likely directly benefiting from and contributing towards an industry which causes an incredible level of suffering and harm.

Even if you dismiss the suffering of animals other than humans as unimportant there is also the fact that animal agriculture is a substantial contributor towards climate change. Cutting or reducing meat from your diet is one of the easiest ways to reduce your individual impact on the environment.

When the counter-argument usually amounts to "But I enjoy it" it's a bit difficult…

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's quite difficult not to be patronising when discussing this topic.

The fact is that if you regularly eat meat you're most likely directly benefiting from and contributing towards an industry which causes an incredible level of suffering and harm.

Even if you dismiss the suffering of animals other than humans as unimportant there is also the fact that animal agriculture is a substantial contributor towards climate change. Cutting or reducing meat from your diet is one of the easiest ways to reduce your individual impact on the environment.

When the counter-argument usually amounts to "But I enjoy it" it's a bit difficult…
The counter argument that a lot of people gloss over and replace with the ignorant "but I enjoy it" is that meat is often cheaper and can be kept longer frozen than fresh vegetables and protein alternatives.

Yes, if more people switched, it could be produced at a lower cost, but when the mcdouble is the cheapest, most nutritious available/ready food, then it's hard to convince me that being condescending to people about not being vegan isn't classist.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
The environmental/climate change impact of animal agriculture should also be pretty high up on any progressives radar imo.

Yes, it bloody well should, but there seems to be a disconnect between what people consider themselves to be and what they actually are. They talk here about capitalism and the evil landlord (I don't support evil landlords BTW) and then no doubt head off for their Mc capitalism, environmental destruction burger, that is so often celebrated here. It's very odd.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The counter argument that a lot of people gloss over and replace with the ignorant "but I enjoy it" is that meat is often cheaper and can be kept longer frozen than fresh vegetables and protein alternatives.

Yes, if more people switched, it could be produced at a lower cost, but when the mcdouble is the cheapest, most nutritious available/ready food, then it's hard to convince me that being condescending to people about not being vegan isn't classist.

I see this repeated all the time, A 1 lb tub of peanut butter at Winco is $1.60, that's 14 servings of 190 calories (2660) with a food that has much better health outcomes than a mcdonalds cheeseburger, google says a Mcdouble is $2.50 and 400 calories. The mcdouble will also expire after a day without a fridge, and probably not safe after a week even with a fridge, the peanut butter will last months and months.

Let me spare you some frustration because if you try to make a logical or rational defense of our modern day agriculture there is likely a quick google search to dispute your argument, we do it because people enjoy it, with very rare exceptions.

cereza

May 3, 2023

Material conditions are understandable. But if we all know that the U.S. government spends up to $38 billion each year to subsidize the meat and dairy industries, with less than one percent of that amount allocated to aiding the production of fruits and vegetables, then people who say they care about animal agriculture's negative impacts and externalities but aren't in a position to make personal changes could really help out the cause by figuring out a way to offer any political help in any form.

As it is, the less than 1% of the population who are vegans have to argue for positive changes against both liberals and conservatives, and we have no political capital in which to make the meaningful collective changes that even non-vegans admit need to be made to increase the availability of cheap and prepared plant-based meals.

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
The worst part about it is that the guy doesn't even really seem to give a shit that his tenants are cooking meat, just that he can smell them cooking meat and that's only true because his building has poor ventilation.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I see this repeated all the time, A 1 lb tub of peanut butter at Winco is $1.60, that's 14 servings of 190 calories (2660) with a food that has much better health outcomes than a mcdonalds cheeseburger, google says a Mcdouble is $2.50 and 400 calories. The mcdouble will also expire after a day without a fridge, and probably not safe after a week even with a fridge, the peanut butter will last months and months.

Let me spare you some frustration because if you try to make a logical or rational defense of our modern day agriculture there is likely a quick google search to dispute your argument, we do it because people enjoy it, with very rare exceptions.
The two statements were separate, yes a mcdouble will spoil after like 2-3 days in the fridge, but most meat can be bought in larger bulk for fairly cheap and frozen.

But also are you suggesting that a serving of peanut butter is a whole meal?

Material conditions are understandable. But if we all know that the U.S. government spends up to $38 billion each year to subsidize the meat and dairy industries, with less than one percent of that amount allocated to aiding the production of fruits and vegetables, then people who say they care about animal agriculture's negative impacts and externalities but aren't in a position to make personal changes could really help out the cause by figuring out a way to offer any political help in any form.

As it is, the less than 1% of the population who are vegans have to argue for positive changes against both liberals and conservatives, and we have no political capital in which to make the meaningful collective changes that even non-vegans admit need to be made to increase the availability of cheap and prepared plant-based meals.
Oh I'm not saying that, in the long run it's impossible and shouldn't be done, but right now, until it's as subsidized as meat and dairy, it's not feasible for low income families to provide whole, nutritious meals with vegan restrictions.
As for there not being enough people to argue for it, it really is a PR thing, because a lot of the posts are so incredibly condescending(including the other person I quoted in this) acting like I'm trying to defend our current agriculture, instead of just commenting that a vegan diet is incredibly expensive.

turbozan

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
landlord = wrong to begin with, you don't need to elaborate further. that said, this guy is absolutely fucked and whatever good he does by not eating animal products is outdone by the harm he does as a bloodless ghoul siphoning wealth because he owns multiple homes he doesn't live in

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The two statements were separate, yes a mcdouble will spoil after like 2-3 days in the fridge, but most meat can be bought in larger bulk for fairly cheap and frozen.

But also are you suggesting that a serving of peanut butter is a whole meal?

Oh I'm not saying that, in the long run it's impossible and shouldn't be done, but right now, until it's as subsidized as meat and dairy, it's not feasible for low income families to provide whole, nutritious meals with vegan restrictions.

Bro you were just forced to concede that your "most nutritious source of food per dollar" argument was orders of magnitude off. I've seen every possible defense of modern day animal agriculture that you can think of and i've seen the data to dispute every single one of them, if you want to go through all of them and continue to be fact checked then be my guest, but it's not necessary. You aren't a bad person for eating animal products, it's a societal norm, that doesn't mean you have to try and convince people that mcdoubles are necessary for human health.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who can afford to spend $5,750 or $4,500 a month on rent certainly has other options, I doubt it's difficult to find like-minded vegan tenants in Brooklyn.
The problem is that if this landlord can make demands such as not cooking meat other landlords of cheaper properties that are rented to people with fewer or no other choices can make the same demands.

This should be illegal, it's none of any landlords business what people cook in their apartments of if they own pets, smoke, change the wallpaper or whatever. This is insane, people should be allowed to live their lifes in their rented homes and make them their homes as long as it's not something like making structural changes.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
User warned: antagonizing other users
Wow why's everyone crying it's just like them saying no smoking

*everyone points out that it's nothing like smoking"

Well I still don't see why everyone's crying

You know, that question was asked in good faith. It's pretty shitty of you to show up a day later and skip the following 5 pages of discussion in order to lob a cheap shot.

I think you should evaluate what kind of contribution you're making to the forum with posts like these.

MasterChumly

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vegans didnt organize this, a savvy writer found a vegan who did something unpopular and made an article about it knowing that it would drive major engagement.
Yea I always feel vegans get a bad rap but ultimately landlords have too much power and shouldn't be pushing their own beliefs on people. It's unfortunate that this crazy person was found and creating a bad rap for others

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
You know, that question was asked in good faith. It's pretty shitty of you to show up a day later and skip the following 5 pages of discussion in order to lob a cheap shot.

I think you should evaluate what kind of contribution you're making to the forum with posts like these.
I'm sorry I don't live on resetera. You wanna take care of my newborn so that I can allocate to proper time to stay up to date on every topic that gets posted?

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I'm sorry I don't live on resetera. You wanna take care of my newborn so that I can allocate to proper time to stay up to date on every topic that gets posted?

You're always free to not post. If you don't have the time to follow a discussion, this is the option you should choose by default- especially if the alternative is a low effort insult.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Bro you were just forced to concede that your "most nutritious source of food per dollar" argument was orders of magnitude off. I've seen every possible defense of modern day animal agriculture that you can think of and i've seen the data to dispute every single one of them, if you want to go through all of them and continue to be fact checked then be my guest, but it's not necessary. You aren't a bad person for eating animal products, it's a societal norm, that doesn't mean you have to try and convince people that mcdoubles are necessary for human health.
I have no idea what you think I'm trying to say? I'm not talking in defense of modern agriculture, so you're defending against a stance I'm not taking? Also I'm not saying "EVERYONE NEEDS TO EAT ONLY MCDONALDS", please use some basic reading comprehension.

I simply said that the McDouble was the most cost effective nutritious meal, is it the best meal? Not by a long shot, but if you're poor, it's a good grab for a meal.

As it stands, eating well as a vegan is prohibitively expensive, so saying, right now, without some sort of change in how funding is allocated for food, is a classist, anti-poor argument.

Again, to book end it, because you seem to think this is what I'm saying, I'm not defending modern day animal agriculture. I'm not and have not engaged anyone on that, it's horrendous, nobody is saying otherwise.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think the act of furthering human suffering through being a landlord trumps whatever eco brownie points they think they earned through veganism, so this is just gross bullshit infringing on the autonomy of the people they want to rent to. Fuck off landlord, get a real job and stop telling people what to do with their bodies

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I simply said that the McDouble was the most cost effective nutritious meal, is it the best meal? Not by a long shot, but if you're poor, it's a good grab for a meal.

As it stands, eating well as a vegan is prohibitively expensive,

Neither of those statements are true. You dont have to justify eating animal products by making false claims.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It is neither of those things, lol.
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk

McDonald's McDouble Burger Named 'Cheapest, Most Nutritious Food In History'

Neither of those statements are true. You dont have to justify eating animal products by making false claims.
I... can 100% unequivocally state that eating vegan, is more expensive than not. Vegetarian you can get by pretty cheap.

Maybe not where you are, maybe you have access to grow food and cheaper places... but it's pretty stupid expensive to be vegan where I am.

also this all really gives to the condescending tone from vegans towards non vegans. holy hell

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You gotta appreciate the marketing skills of a landlord who asks people for nearly double the market rate to live an apartment where the ventilation is so poor you can apparently smell everything your neighbors do and therefore he concludes the best solution is to prioritize people whose diet is heavy on beans and cruciferous vegetables. Yeah, that's going to smell better than a steak for sure.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Is it true that vegans always rely on shock tactics? I think it's more that non-vegans only ever talk about or notice the shock tactics. For example, the ragebait topic of this thread itself.

No one is just casually starting up popular discourse on Animal Liberation and Social Revolution, feeding the homeless vegetarian and vegan food with Food Not Bombs every week over the last 43 years (or even knows that this incredible organization even exists), or giving a shit when another animal sanctuary opens up to rescue animals from animal agriculture.

But PETA did something wacky like make a cute commercial about how crabs deserve to be treated well? Let's be dicks about it and uncritically post actual conservative astroturf propaganda from Richard fucking Berman.

Indeed, you're 100% correct. It's a big reason why I've become much less enthusiastic about many issues in general. It's certainly discouraging when bringing up the benefits of a vegan lifestyle [helps climate change, improves emotional IQ, can have positive health benefits, especially to under served groups (if mostly whole plant foods), among a myriad of other benefits] and the response is generally, "thanks for your thoughts, but go away weird vegen/I don't care, beef, bacon, cheese." You would think there would be a little more enthusiasm and engagement since many of the principles of veganism line up quite well with a liberal ideology. Alas, critiquing someone's food choices seems to have reached the realm of religion and politics for some of the visceral reactions you get.

A positive story about veganism get's posted, will net you about 30 replies over the lifetime of the thread. A negative vegan story and well, case and point.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk

I... can 100% unequivocally state that eating vegan, is more expensive than not. Vegetarian you can get by pretty cheap.

Maybe not where you are, maybe you have access to grow food and cheaper places... but it's pretty stupid expensive to be vegan where I am.

also this all really gives to the condescending tone from vegans towards non vegans. holy hell
I'm not going to get into this topic (The main one) but bullshit. If you find it more expensive you can't cook and can't shop (And even then a basic pasta sauce is easy to make, as is a basic curry, noodles, Fajitas etc etc). I've been in positions of been super skinnt in my life and found it easy at those times. Pasta, rice, you can make curry from veg (If you can't afford fresh, frozen is cheap), pasta sauce (Tin of tomatoes; cook down), noodles (Bit of stock, soy). TVP (Textured vegetable protein; the stuff that supermarkets sell as mock meat) can be bought in massive bags dirt cheap. The Vegan food is expensive is people looking at Beyond burgers and their kin and thinking we eat them daily (I've currently not skinnt but going through Vegan kebabs (On offer £2; will last 8 meals) with salad and cheap flatbreads/sauces/pickles; getting my 5+ a day with a ton of protein and not fucking McDonalds.

These articles as others have noted are outlyers (I wouldn't like people making meat in my property but then I wouldn't choose to be a landlord and they are pushed by the media as it generates clicks).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm not going to get into this topic (The main one) but bullshit. If you find it more expensive you can't cook and can't shop. I've been in positions of been super skinnt in my life and found it easy at those times. Pasta, rice, you can make curry from veg (If you can't afford fresh, frozen is cheap), pasta sauce (Tin of tomatoes; cook down), noodles (Bit of stock, soy). TVP (Textured vegetable protein; the stuff that supermarkets sell as mock meat) can be bought in massive bags dirt cheap. The Vegan food is expensive is people looking at Beyond burgers and their kin and thinking we eat them daily (I've currently not skinnt but going through Vegan kebabs (On offer £2; will last 8 meals) with salad and cheap flatbreads/sauces/pickles; getting my 5+ a day with a ton of protein and not fucking McDonalds.

These articles as others have noted are outlyers (I wouldn't like people making meat in my property but then I wouldn't choose to be a landlord and they are pushed by the media as it generates clicks).
Literally not saying for only mcdonalds.

holy shit, I keep having to say this, I only referenced it the once from the article, but the main point I had was getting cheap meat and freezing it, is more long term cost effective currently than buying vegetables all the time, a lot of people don't have the money or time to constantly getting vegetables and burning through them or them going bad from time constraints

I've literally never seen "TVP" in my grocery stores where I am, and I was vegan for half a year, and it was too expensive to maintain when I changed jobs years and years ago, so I went back to eating meat for cost saving reasons.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Literally not saying for only mcdonalds.

holy shit, I keep having to say this, I only referenced it the once from the article, but the main point I had was getting cheap meat and freezing it, is more long term cost effective currently than buying vegetables all the time, a lot of people don't have the money or time to constantly getting vegetables and burning through them or them going bad from time constraints

I've literally never seen "TVP" in my grocery stores where I am, and I was vegan for half a year, and it was too expensive to maintain when I changed jobs years and years ago, so I went back to eating meat for cost saving reasons.
TVP has been in the big supermarkets on and off here for years (UK; US probably have more selection) and it's available at all good wholefood stores, online (It's dried) and dirt cheap. You are making a point to a Vegan who has been at it 18 years (And that was from 19 and of working age, most of the first half being skinnt, in the days when less Vegan products were expensive when I was in constant debt and managed just fine with food; people here have experience and you are citing evidence online).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
TVP has been in the big supermarkets on and off here for years (UK; US probably have more selection) and it's available at all good wholefood stores, online (It's dried) and dirt cheap. You are making a point to a Vegan who has been at it 18 years (And that was from 19 and of working age, most of the first half being skinnt, in the days when less Vegan products were expensive when I was in constant debt and managed just fine with food; people here have experience and you are citing evidence online).
Cool I live in neither of those places and also not a major city center.

cereza

May 3, 2023
I think part of the confusion is that you are implying vegans primarily eat vegetables, which would somewhat explain why you think veganism is expensive, a stereotype that just doesn't match the lived experiences of vegans and myself (I went vegan when I was on SNAP and getting like $150 a month). Produce is definitely a part of it, but plant-based diets mainly come from the bulk bins.

Beans, oats, rice, potatoes, corn, carrots, pasta, wheat, and lentils make up the majority of a plant-based meal plan and are what I eat, and to anyone in mainland America with access to a grocery store, these are the cheapest and longest lasting foods.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk

you keep making false statements, correcting people who post false information is not condescending.

Just stop saying that animal products are cheaper than plants, its a broad and meaningless statement. You're getting defensive about nothing, nobody is accusing you of being a bad person for eating animal products, 97% of americans eat animal products, its a norm, you dont have to justify anything.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the applicants can just ignore it and move on to other properties, anyone who stays there will be someone who agrees to the landlord's condition...so it's not like the home will go to waste either. Additionally, as someone who came from a culture of primarily vegetarian diet, yes meat can indeed smell extrenely off putting if you have become used to non meat cooking, especially western style cuisine that does not focus as much on spices and focuses more on preserving the meat's flavour and smell. From what I understand the landlord actually lives in the same building so he will be able to smell it, even if meat's smell doesn't stick around the home like cigarette smell, the smell will be around while cooking.

Regardless...it's assholish yea, but what's the problem and who exactly is losing here? If you don't want to agree to his co ditions, you can surely find other great properties for that price where you don't have to agree to something that silly.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I think part of the confusion is that you are implying vegans primarily eat vegetables, which would partly explain why you think veganism is expensive. Produce is definitely a part of it, but plant-based diets mainly come from the bulk bins.

Beans, oats, rice, potatoes, corn, carrots, pasta, wheat, and lentils make up the majority of a plant-based meal plan and are what I eat, and to anyone in America with access to a grocery store, these are the cheapest and most plentiful foods.
I find I mainly live on a tiny bit of fake meat with jarred (Pickled)/tinned (Often fried aubergine/dolma) and bulk up with yeah those and a bit of bread (I generally eat a Middle Eastern style diet these days but often Italian too; flatbreads (Often just ciabatta unless a treat) with lots of toppings, sauce, maybe the odd bit of Vegan cheese, more often not).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Also readily available cheap online to purchase (And it's dried). Unless there is no postal service?
Literally buying food online not from a grocery store isn't really a thing here.
I think part of the confusion is that you are implying vegans primarily eat vegetables, which would partly explain why you think veganism is expensive. Produce is definitely a part of it, but plant-based diets mainly come from the bulk bins.

Beans, oats, rice, potatoes, corn, carrots, pasta, wheat, and lentils make up the majority of a plant-based meal plan, and to anyone in America with access to a grocery store, these are the cheapest and most plentiful foods.
Absolutely, Potatoes, Rice and Corn were my main go to, and I did a lot with it, I just didn't have the accessibility or means to store the foods to make it not bland. Seasoning only went so far, and I still regularly cook a lot of the meals I ate then, but I have the means now, but honestly I have no desire to go back.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Literally buying food online not from a grocery store isn't really a thing here.

Absolutely, Potatoes, Rice and Corn were my main go to, and I did a lot with it, I just didn't have the accessibility or means to store the foods to make it not bland. Seasoning only went so far, and I still regularly cook a lot of the meals I ate then, but I have the means now, but honestly I have no desire to go back.
It's not mine either but even Amazon do it and it's cheap. It might not be a thing but it can be an easily obtainable thing.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a meat eater and I don't see an issue with this, really. Well, an issue beyond "fuck any landlords".

If they're living on the site and the smell really causes them discomfort, then I think it's fine as long as these conditions are written up front. I certainly wouldn't live there, but there are plenty of people that rent and don't cook, or are vegan themselves, that I'm sure would.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

I just don't think that's true.

It's really not hard to have a nutritious and cheap meat free diet. Fully vegan might be a bit tougher but it's certainly not expensive to be vegetarian.

And to be clear - I'm not gunna judge anyone who literally doesn't have the means - that's definitely going to be the minority though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't think that's true.

It's really not hard to have a nutritious and cheap meat free diet. Fully vegan might be a bit tougher but it's certainly not expensive to be vegetarian.

And to be clear - I'm not gunna judge anyone who literally doesn't have the means - that's definitely going to be the minority though.
They have said over the course of several posts that they literally do not have the means, but people keep calling them a liar anyway so....

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019

If your meat is cheaper than beans and lentils I don't think you'll be getting much nutrition out of it.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I truly do not know how this thread didn't just combust into flames when the ethics argument landed on "just ship your food in from Amazon"
Other (Many) stores are available; it's easy to cite Amazon but living in a bigger country than mine I bet there are few. We have wholefood stores (Buywholefoodsonline here; brings me tea too and nooch and has the odd voucher code now and then).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Fuck landlords, but you do realize there's someone who didn't choose to be force bred, tortured and slaughtered to end up on your plate right?

Personal choice my ass.
"Someone"?

the average non-vegan's ideology
....That's not a thing lol

It is pretty remarkable that a forum which purports itself to be very progressive can be this wilfully regressive on such a topic.
God, can you not with the "I thought we were progressive" bullshit, this isn't about marginalized people etc. Veganism isn't inherently progressive and eating meat isn't inherently non-progressive, this is such stupid nonsense.

I'm not sure someone who is able to pay 6K a month on rent could really be considered a lower class being exploited.
I mean, people have criticized that exceedingly obscene rent price too. But are you then suggesting that this landlord would therefore be fair to criticize for renting to vegans only if their rent price wasn't insane?

Landlords with unreasonable demands of their tenants are good and ok actually as long as they're making people do things I want
—Resetera

Or, to make fun of another post:
This forum is usually really progressive but when it comes to landlords controlling their renters' diets it swings the other way
lol!

If one believes that injustice, oppression, discrimination, and exploitation are wrong, it follows that this thinking should be extended to all sentient beings who can be made to suffer these circumstances. (Edit: to be clear, I mean when it's from the actions of humans. What non-human animals do to each other is their own business.)

I can see how conservatives don't care about any of that, because they don't even care about these topics when it comes to humans. But leftists who are anti-vegan are baffling. Their ideology is just so plainly incoherent.
Wowwwwww
The condescension is so intense it's actually funny now. imnotevenmadthatsamazing.gif

First, eating meat isn't being "anti vegan". Not being vegan doesn't make one anti-vegan, anymore than not drinking booze makes one necessarily anti-booze. But please keep comparing meat eaters to uncaring conservatives, that's sure to win people to your side.

I truly do not know how this thread didn't just combust into flames when the ethics argument landed on "just ship your food in from Amazon"
Right? 😂 This thread sure keeps delivering...

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Cutting or reducing meat from your diet is one of the easiest ways to reduce your individual impact on the environment.
Tbf, I've literally never encountered a vegan whom was ok with someone reducing the amount of meat in their diet. 100% elimination has invariably been the only acceptable option for the ones I've interacted with.

Last edited: