Oct 27, 2017
And I can now say, with certainty, Nigerian jollof is better.

For those who don't know what jollof rice is, it's basically a West African dish composed of tomatoes, onions, various spices, and rice (a lot of recipes use more ingredients, but those are the standard ones).

583d2633-65c0-43d6-9b52-cba0c8fa1399--2019-1210_nigerian-jollof-rice_3x2_rocky-luten_006.jpg

There's something of a rivalry between the Nigerian and Ghanaian variants, but the superior one has been decided.

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
whew that switch up is gonna have some people pissed, the definition of choosing violence

I haven't tried either but I really want to try 'em all

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
God, I used to have a girlfriend from Ghana who made this and it was absolutely incredible everytime. Especially as a vegetarian I felt really lucky. She taught me and we used to make it together. It left such an impression on me. I really loved that woman. Food leaves such funny traces in our memories, even though time gets away from us.

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
African food is one style of food I've had very little of. I'm planning to go to a Nigerian restaurant that I discovered in the not too distant future to fix that. I'll be sure to try the rice.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
One hasn't really had real jollof rice until they've eaten one prepared over firewood. Nothing beats the Smokey taste of party jollof.

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017
How does this compare to Spanish or Mexican rice?
It's been a while since I've had either, but the taste is fairly different. It must come down to the spices used because they seem to share a lot of ingredients

One hasn't really had real jollof rice until they've eaten one prepared over firewood. Nothing beats the Smokey taste of party jollof.
You've got me there. Can't say i've ever had that, but i definitely need to try it sometime

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017
My wife who is Nigerian says it is the type of rice used. Nigerian jollof primarily uses long grain rice while Ghanaian primarily uses basmati (or jasmine?) rice. Otherwise there aren't any differences.
Yeah, but the difference in rice changes how the rice absorbs the other flavors, from what I've read.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So is this like spanish or mexican rice where its a side? Or is it more like asian style fried rice?

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017
So is this like spanish or mexican rice where its a side? Or is it more like asian style fried rice?
No, it can definitely be the meal itself. If anything the meat and plantains are the side to the rice. It's not like fried rice where, IIRC, you fry it at a high heat so the rice gets a bit crispy. Jollof is more a long slow simmer so it can take a while to make

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
TOm4cfh.jpg

Damn. The Nigerian version with meat and plantain looks amazing. Might even try making it one day soon.

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020
And I can now say, with certainty, Nigerian jollof is better.

For those who don't know what jollof rice is, it's basically a West African dish composed of tomatoes, onions, various spices, and rice (a lot of recipes use more ingredients, but those are the standard ones).

583d2633-65c0-43d6-9b52-cba0c8fa1399--2019-1210_nigerian-jollof-rice_3x2_rocky-luten_006.jpg

There's something of a rivalry between the Nigerian and Ghanaian variants, but the superior one has been decided.
Very nice and you picked the right answer 😁

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This is sort of on topic, but I learned that Trader Joe's was selling Jollof rice from a co-worker. Seeing it being sold as a dry dish version that you cook with water was a first red flag, but the reviews on reddit had me rolling. Just terrible. They know damn well they should have at least sold that frozen and not embarrass us like that.

Edit: I believe it's being sold as a Nigerian version?

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
No, it can definitely be the meal itself. If anything the meat and plantains are the side to the rice. It's not like fried rice where, IIRC, you fry it at a high heat so the rice gets a bit crispy. Jollof is more a long slow simmer so it can take a while to make

poster is asking the if the rice is like a Mexican side dish or a full meal like fried rice… because in some parts of Asia fried rice is considered a full meal. I know in Peru fried rice is considered a full meal "arroz chaufa"

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My wife who is Nigerian says it is the type of rice used. Nigerian jollof primarily uses long grain rice while Ghanaian primarily uses basmati (or jasmine?) rice. Otherwise there aren't really any differences.
My wife and I have a few Ghanian friends. We were surprised to find out that they make Jollof rice with different type of rice. Makes a big difference in taste apparently.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Sierra Leone > Ghana >>> Nigeria

That's the proper ranking of West African jollof rice and I will not take any questions or comments.