Votes: 80 25.2%
  • ⭐⭐

Votes: 105 33.1%
  • Votes: 84 26.5%

• Total voters

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6eMf87fsc

This was more or less the passing of the action hero torch. How do you think he did?

Honestly? Looking at his filmography, of that 20 years I think he had a good 5 year run, but a lot of that was driven by Fast & Furious period, which included Pain & Gain. The last 8-10 years have been poor. I don't think his highs match Arnolds (Terminator 2 etc).

Also - Dwayne is almost the same age Arnold was back then - time to pass the torch again? To whom?
Though I acknowledge there's less of a demand for the muscle bound action hero these days of course.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone will ever come close to Arnold's output from the 80s and 90s. He's going to remain the poster face for the blockbuster action movie. He is the action movie star.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Everybody knows who he is, which is pretty impressive.

And he had some pretty decent stuff with early Fast Five and whatnot. He's clearly carried some movies like Jumanji and Moana.

But he's also had a LOT(!) of duds, and in no way, shape, or form does he have a "defining" character action role.

Arnold is the Terminator.

He leads PREDATOR, COMMANDO, TOTAL RECALL, TRUE LIES, etc. etc.

The Rock is only at Arnold's level if Arnold was only ever in things like Batman, Eraser, the Sixth Day, etc. etc.

Also, Arnold is infinitely more likeable. For clearly being the better actor and action star, he was also way better at making fun of himself with things like Junior or Jingle all the Way.

Dwayne's best roles are still in Southland Tales and Pain & Gain, by FAR

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Had such high hopes for the rock after the rundown, but yeah his output has been so lackluster.

Since then ive enjoyed gridiron gang, the other guys, jumanji 1&2, and Fast and furious, and pain and gain.

Not exactly stellar highlights from 20 years in film and a shit ton of films.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
The Rundown was like peak Rock as an actor and then the quality of his output meandered and went downhill from there IMO.

I liked that movie he did with Johnny Knoxville too. Edit: Walking Tall

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I mean yeah, clearly his high's aren't going to reach Arnie's; Predator, Total Recall, T1 & 2 are genuine movie classics, not just action classics, and I'd argue that even his Tier 2 stuff is probably better than the Rock's best movies.

That said he's had an amazing run, moreso since Fast Five and he's still doing incredibly well. I don't think that 'not as good/big as Arnie' is something that you can take negatively, especially given his successes.

EDIT: Maybe if he'd been around in Arnie's era things might have been different but the movie world has moved beyond the physical archetype he displays - probably because now everybody from the janitor upwards is ripped so a big, muscular physique just isn't as rare to see in the cinema these days.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Arnold had amazing talent to work with James Cameron, Ivan Reitman, etc.

That's very important. He also learned from them.

Dwayne is not like this. He likes to control the narrative and his projects. He rarely collaborates with skilled directors.

Dec 30, 2020
Keanu sure, since 2003. But Bruce Willis since then?
1vz4.gif

Not gonna be attending that hat convention, huh OP?

Now if you'll excuse me, time for Bruno to return once again.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Not one of Dwayne's films are on par with Arnie's at all. Not even Last Action Hero or End of Days. I'm excluding the Fast and Furious films since those aren't solely Dwayne Johnson films.

Arnie should've said that to Jason Statham instead.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Arnie has great movies and absolute classics in his catalogue.
I'm still waiting for Dwayne to be in a good movie, so...

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That means it's been twenty years since Christopher Walken ranted about the Tooth Fairy.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If The Rock had more vulnerability and did more acting he would have more classics. Put your trust in filmmakers and storytellers instead of your brand and image

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Hot and intentionally outrageous take: bob odenkirk has a better action movie career than the rock

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it would've prompted him to make more interesting decisions or work outside of a very narrow range, but I don't think the Rock ever fully got out from under Vince McMahon's thumb. Vince was pissed (because of course he was) that Rock played a gay man in Be Cool, and my understanding is that he took that rejection pretty hard.

Arnold was so limited as an actor, but he chose to work with some great directors and had an affection for genre projects. Sometimes that - along with superhuman charisma, obvious as far back as Pumping Iron - is all it takes.

Last edited:

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
What about this... Arnold minus Cameron vs. Dwayne.

Otherwise it's not a fair fight. Nothing Dwayne has done comes close to T1, T2 or True Lies.

So then it's Predator/Total Recall/Pumping Iron vs. Fast & Furious franchise/Moana/Other Guys/Jumanji.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Statham is like Seagal/Vandamme tier. He's not Schwarzenegger level either.

I think his films are a little better than Van Damme's outside of Bloodsport, Kickboxer, and possibly Universal Soldier, but you may be right. However, I will always say that Segal's films were god awful.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
The Rock peaked with his appearance in The Other Guys.

I don't think The Rock comes close to Arnold, I think he's a bit above Jean Claude Van Damme. He's had some decent action movies, but nothing I would say is iconic.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure The Rock has ever done anything I wanted to watch more than once. Not saying I hate all his movies. But, they are mostly just disposable entertainment that I watch once and forget about.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
What about this... Arnold minus Cameron vs. Dwayne.

Otherwise it's not a fair fight. Nothing Dwayne has done comes close to T1, T2 or True Lies.

So then it's Predator/Total Recall/Pumping Iron vs. Fast & Furious franchise/Moana/Other Guys/Jumanji.

Arnold by a mile. There's still Commando, Conan the Barbarian, The Running Man, and more.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know if it would've prompted him to make more interesting decisions or work outside of a very narrow range, but I don't think the Rock ever fully got out from under Vince McMahon's thumb. Vince was pissed (because of course he was) that Rock played a gay man in Be Cool, and my understanding is that he took that rejection pretty hard.

The first third of Rock's cinematic career is probably his strongest as he was trying to break out of the wrestling chains that ultimately engulf him. Now all the Rock is concerned about is portraying the Rock in whatever he is in.

I'm hoping The Smashing Machine is a step in the right direction.

Sidenote: it tickles me everytime to think about Dave Bautista's career trajectory. I absolutely hated him in The Man With the Iron Fists and thought this was going to be a Hulk Hogan/Triple H/Randy Orton-style of movie career. No, that man just wanted to keep improving to the point where I don't think I can hate a Bautista performance. He's almost always one of the best people on screen.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing for me is that The Rock has not made a better film than the Rundown. It was best action film by and far while also featuring some of his best work bouncing off of Sean William Scott and Christopher Walken chewing the scenery every chance he got. It's a legitimately great action comedy and the best film the Rock has done. Which is a shame as it was so long ago. I would have loved a sequel following the further adventures of these characters than most anything else that he's done.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Rock also lacks the memes. Arnold has so many because he has quite a few quips and expressions that push him to a higher level and keep him relevant even years. I can't think of shit from the Rock besides "Do you smell what the Rock is cooking".

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
The crazy thing for me is that The Rock has not made a better film than the Rundown. It was best action film by and far while also featuring some of his best work bouncing off of Sean William Scott and Christopher Walken chewing the scenery every chance he got. It's a legitimately great action comedy and the best film the Rock has done. Which is a shame as it was so long ago. I would have loved a sequel following the further adventures of these characters than most anything else that he's done.

He was trying to break into the industry and probably wasn't trying to have so much control and letting the experts in their field make a good movie. He seems like a control freak that allows the ego to spoil the work of others. Once he had clout and power, it was over for creating greatness.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sidenote: it tickles me everytime to think about Dave Bautista's career trajectory. I absolutely hated him in The Man With the Iron Fists and thought this was going to be a Hulk Hogan/Triple H/Randy Orton-style of movie career. No, that man just wanted to keep improving to the point where I don't think I can hate a Bautista performance. He's almost always one of the best people on screen.

I'm always reminded that when Dave got the news he would be cast as Drax, he broke down crying, and then immediately signed up to take acting classes. That told me he was serious about being a decent actor and not just another Hulk Hogan or Dwayne. Plus, he's a favorite of two high profile directors in James Gunn and Denis Villeneuve.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Arnold by a mile. There's still Commando, Conan the Barbarian, The Running Man, and more.
I dunno. I grew up on Arnold's movies so I have a big fondness for Conan and Commando but nothing Arnold did has anywhere near the global scale of Moana/Fast & Furious.

I mean, if we're being real, both have 3-4 solid movies wither everything else decidedly B-tier shit. This includes Command and Conan (which I love dearly).

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
The only thing I remember about the Rock is that he wears the same jungle shirt and pants in all the jungle movies

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The business changed on him so I don't know that I really fault Dwayne. It's not like there are *other* action stars that are bigger or significantly more dominant than him. People willing, ready, and capable of becoming action stars didn't just disappear. Their roles did. We simply don't have the kinds of blockbusters we used to have - certainly not the same kind or volume. Investment in movies feels comparably down as well - I haven't actually looked so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. TV took over as the predominant story telling medium. I don't find myself watching a whole lot of movies now. TV is just where it's at.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think his films are half as good as Arnie's but he was the successor no doubt and that scene aged well in that context. Be more apparent if Rock joins politics.