• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Xbox the leader in console Backwards Compatibility now?

• Yes

Votes: 133 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nintendo has dropped it from their console largely, PS4 doesn't do it at all save for a few re-purchase options for PS2.

Xbox meanwhile lets you insert hundreds of your old discs and play them, often enhanced in performance - and on X graphically. They also as far as I know are the only ones who have said they will have backwards compatibility continue on their next console guaranteed.

Right now everyone is hoping Sony won't pull another PS Now rental hell or no BC situation like we have on PS4, but they have yet to promise.

So is Xbox now the clear leader in the console space?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
They're like the only ones doing it and they're doing it better than the opposition ever did, so sure.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt Microsoft will ever release an Xbox device going forward that doesn't have compatibility on par with Xbox One. Any games you can play on an Xbox One now will be playable on all their consoles going forward.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I believe so yes. They're the only ones doing it right now and they're doing it perfectly. Now I wish Sony takes this road with their next console and Nintendo gets back to it with the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has dropped it from their console largely, PS4 doesn't do it at all save for a few re-purchase options for PS2.

Xbox meanwhile lets you insert hundreds of your old discs and play them, often enhanced in performance - and on X graphically. They also as far as I know are the only ones who have said they will have backwards compatibility continue on their next console guaranteed.

Right now everyone is hoping Sony won't pull another PS Now rental hell or no BC situation like we have on PS4, but they have yet to promise.

So is Xbox now the clear leader in the console space?

Honestly can't make a judgment one way or the other here, it's a real toss up

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If they keep BC for OG Xbox, 360 and X1 games for the next Xbox this is going to be huge. I really hope they do. It's amazing what they're doing right now and I think it would be smart of them to keep a focus on that for their next console.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to be a winner when you're the only one competing. ;) I'm not saying this to make fun of them, I wish Sony was doing the same with their PS2 and PS3 games.

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (1 week): History of thread whining, console wars and antagonising/baiting in Xbox threads
Why is it that a topic about xbox backwards compatibility always seem to pop up when other topics about console exclusives are going on at the same time

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not like the other 2 consoles are doing it good or at all, xbo doesnt make you purchase it a second time either which is nice

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I believe so yes. They're the only ones doing it right now and they're doing it perfectly. Now I wish Sony takes this road with their next console and Nintendo gets back to it with the Switch.

Lol i can't see how nintendo can support BC when they've gone with a completely different physical format for the switch + they're selling $60 ports of Wii u games from 2014 for switch and those are selling more and more. No fucking way they make their next console etc BC ever again when they can just make more money just with a port job in order to spread their release schedule. And their consimers seems to be having no problem supporting these full priced ports

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It used to be Sony, under Ken Kutaragi. Sadly we are over a decade removed from that.

I think we'll see PS4 support on PS5 though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally no competition. Switch does not have backwards compatibility, it's only offering remasters. PS4 has no proper backwards compatibility, the closest it gets is the expensive (and not available everywhere) PS Now which has a relatively small bunch of games in streaming, plus some PS2 games sold on their own. Xbox One offers over 500 backwards compatible titles between Xbox 360 and Xbox Original, with more games coming nearly every week (just recently we got Dragon Age 2 and Dead Space 2 from 360, all Star Wars games from Xbox Original, etc. - not exactly small unknown games). All of them are playable with your XO and X360 copies - you could even use a 15 years old disc and bam, it works. All games have some sort of benefit from the better hardware: some only in terms of loading times and framerate, others in resolution, and some even in updated effects and assets without actually touching the code. And as far as we know, the next Xbox will offer backwards compatibility support from the start, so everything we currently play will be able to played come the next Xbox from the get go.

The Xbox is the leader in backwards compatibility, absolutely no competition. No other current-gen console offers free upgrades to your old games, what you can play from other generations is stuff you have to pay for again.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How high are the chances to see Sony including the games from older consoles into the PS5?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a disgrace that I can play OG Xbox games in near 4K on my Xbox One X but I can't do the same with the PS1 Classics I bought last generation on my PS4 Pro.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that a topic about xbox backwards compatibility always seem to pop up when other topics about console exclusives are going on at the same time
Clever boy! Perhaps that is because what they are doing make people engage with older games that they couldn't. You know, how Sony and Nintendo aren't really doing.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I mean... how are people voting "No"? PS4 and Switch do not have BC. So how the hell Xbox is not a leader? :D

For me it's a huge deal but I have never owned any Xbox console. It won't be as much of a deal for me next-gen, cause I rarely go back and play games I've already played.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
They are not the leader. They are the only ones doing it.

I always loved BC. I wish it was more of a focus but it doesn't seem to be something that most gamers value.

I don't think the average gamer keeps their old console or games. But for anyone who does this is an amazing feature.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How high are the chances to see Sony including the games from older consoles into the PS5?

PS4 seems to be a high possibility given the likely equal CPU architecture. PS3 will be harder but by this time they might be able to brute force it if they cared enough. PS2 emulator is on PS4, it just isn't "unlocked", so it can happen. PS1 emulators have been on other Sony consoles (including handhelds), so they could release that too if they wanted. Handheld compatibility is something that would be cool, but AFAIK Sony said or did nothing at any time towards implying that's something they are looking at, so I wouldn't expect. So PS4 is likely, PS3 is anyone's guess, PS2 and PS1 are easily done if they want to, and handhelds seem unlikely but probably technically not too difficult.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS arguably does BC better than the Xbox One but while you can count it as a currently active system, it's still a product that was released 7 years ago so I don't think it qualifies for "is", maybe "was". Apart from that, no contest. MS rules the console BC space unrivaled.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I always loved BC. I wish it was more of a focus but it doesn't seem to be something that most gamers value.

I don't think the average gamer keeps their old console or games. But for anyone who does this is an amazing feature.
It'd be nice if we could play the digital games we've purchased on other platforms on current platforms (i understand ps4 cant do ps3 games, but that doesnt excuse ps1 classics or ps2 games not working) (or nintendo's HORSE SHIT you gotta buy it or upgrade it on another platform bs for VC considering sony had connected psp/ps3/ps vita with digital purchases) microsoft has it the best atm.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Microsoft not only do backward compatibility but they do it very well by integrating cloud saves, achievements and most important, enhancements, especially with Xbox One X. It works so well and is so seamless. It's a big reason why i trust Microsoft's ecosystem because i know they have this as a focus going forward.

Switch offers some sort of BC but it's remasters at full price and PS4 offers some PS2 games but you have to repay for them.

I think PS5 will have 100% compatibility with PS4 though. It would be really weird if Sony don't offer BC for PS5.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So they are first and last at the same time. Damn.

Jokes aside, this is something that Microsoft will likely benefit from come next-gen. Sony will probably only launch with PS4 compatibility, while Xbox will have two extra generations from the get go, even allowing you to use your old digital buys or discs. I think the most Sony can do is allow you to rebuy your PS1 or PS2 games digitally, at best allowing you to use what you already bought digitally prior (eg. PS1 classics on PS3). It's practically impossible to see them offer disc-support for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely!

The fact that you almost gets remasters for free on Xbox One X makes me want to invest first and foremost in an Xbox next generation as well since I know my old library will not only work but might also get some extra love and care.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft have done all the legal and technical work and it's the only console that has. I would assume it'll carry over to their next console.

Having said that I don't even know if the PS5 bc is as nailed on as some people think. Sony could use that opportunity to change PSN and drop the PS3 lineage that carried on the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.