• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I know some of it works. Maybe not to the degree of pharmaceutical meds, but some might help.

I'm asking because I have Gout and my gf wants me to take these high celery seed meds that, to me, do absolutely fucking nothing. I've been taking them for two weeks now, two a day, and i still have my gout from earlier. I've been eating mostly veggies so it's gotten better but I don't think it's because of this celery stuff.

So I'd like to find a non-biased place for these kinds of meds either they tel me it doesn't do shit or that it does work.

But looking up high celery seed + gout on google i end up with a bunch of "celery is a new superfood that will cure everything from gout to high blood pressure" bullshit.

I just want a place that tests these kinds of meds and shows whether it does any more than a placebo would or not. Am i asking for too much?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The herbal medicine that works has become medicine. Most everything else is quackery.
A lot of stuff that is sold in pharmacies, especially for treating certain symptoms or milder sicknesses, are based on herbal medicine.

There are some household remedies that work, but I would always trust a medical professional first before relying on any of this alternative stuff. Anything that sells itself as alternative to clinical medicine is shady at best.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
https://examine.com

Looks at dietary supplements, herbal remedies, etc. Everything from creatine to horny goats weed.

After searching for one of these and going to its page, you'll find a number of purported health outcomes, and you can see the quality of the studies examining it (i.e. many double-blind studies, no double-blind studies, etc.), the average effect it had on this outcome (e.g. minor for blood pressure) and the consistency of research results (do they all say the same thing or not?). A bit of a meta-study for each health outcome, basically.

I've found it to be very helpful, and I've passed on buying many different supplements because the research simply doesn't back up the claims I've heard (big surprise!). On the other hand, a few actually seem to do what they're supposed to, and those I've tried.

Whether it seems to work or not, they seem to give it to you straight.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
The herbal medicine that works has become medicine. Most everything else is quackery.
A lot of stuff that is sold in pharmacies, especially for treating certain symptoms or milder sicknesses, are based on herbal medicine.

There are some household remedies that work, but I would always trust a medical professional first before relying on any of this alternative stuff. Anything that sells itself as alternative to clinical medicine is shady at best.

This. The herbal remedies that do work are just less refined versions of the medicine practiced by doctors. There is a place from herbal medicine and that is as mild ailment relief. Green Tea being good for reducing stress and chest infections for example.

It in no way beats going to a doctor and seeking professional help.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

100%

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

This. The herbal remedies that do work are just less refined versions of the medicine practiced by doctors. There is a place from herbal medicine and that is a mild ailment relief. Green Tea being good stress and chest infections for example.

Yup

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This. The herbal remedies that do work are just less refined versions of the medicine practiced by doctors. There is a place from herbal medicine and that is a mild ailment relief. Green Tea being good stress and chest infections for example.

Quite so.
In fact, all the doctors I've been to also recommend remedies if applicable. I've gotten suggestions of fennel tea for gastritis, or towels doused in cold water to keep a sprained ankle cool, stuff like that.

Thing is though, if it's something serious like the gout, OP, then you definitely want proper medication for it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah they are called pharmacies. Even if it works or has a chance of working its not gonna work as good as something that has been properly tested.

The idea of "Avoiding big pharma! Not giving those money grubbing people my money!" or whatever reason people have for avoiding using real medicine is ridiculous. You think people who deal out "herbal medicine" are doing it out of the goodness of their heart? They are just smaller versions of bigger companies, but instead they are just choosing to feed off the paranoia, dislike, and distrust that some people have for pharmaceutical companies.

You say you are having an issue with Gout, but the herbal medicine you tried didn't work? You could go to the doctor and they will give you something that can clear it up in literally a couple of days.

I am not disparaging using herbal medicine entirely because it does have its uses, but if you are having an actual medical issue that is painful or affects you like this then you need to go to a doctor and get medicine. Not go to the internet looking for "natural cures".

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Many of our modern drugs (e.g., aspirin, Morphium, Tamoxifen, Vincristin, etc.) were originally derived from botanical material. I think that's fascinating.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, consult your doctor. Herbal medicines that are proven effective and safe are usually refined into pharmaceutical medicines.

That doesn't mean certain herbal medicines don't work, but they are unproven and either poorly regulated or not regulated at all.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they are called pharmacies. Even if it works or has a chance of working its not gonna work as good as something that has been properly tested.

The idea of "Avoiding big pharma! Not giving those money grubbing people my money!" or whatever reason people have for avoiding using real medicine is ridiculous. You think people who deal out "herbal medicine" are doing it out of the goodness of their heart? They are just smaller versions of bigger companies, but instead they are just choosing to feed off the paranoia, dislike, and distrust that some people have for pharmaceutical companies.

You say you are having an issue with Gout, but the herbal medicine you tried didn't work? You could go to the doctor and they will give you something that can clear it up in literally a couple of days.

I am not disparaging using herbal medicine entirely because it does have its uses, but if you are having an actual medical issue that is painful or affects you like this then you need to go to a doctor and get medicine. Not go to the internet looking for "natural cures".

Indeed. If you're concerned with "big pharma", you could always ask your doctor if there's a generic drug with the active agents your body needs.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not against "science based medicine" but I do believe that it's possible to build limiting ideas based around your interpretations of science.

I would say that there are a lot if unknowns when it comes to health both physical and mental. I think there are many physical health problems caused or eventually came about because poor mental health. An example would be someone who is depressed and thus never exersises and thus developes poor health.

Many physically health issues can simply be avoided by building awareness, meditating and taking complete responsibility for your mental health.

A lot of issues people have with health like chronic fatigue, pain, weight, etc all at some point started as a mental issue.

With that said I don't take herbal medicine or anything like that but do believe as a society need to start approaching health and wellbeing differently.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

I am so happy this is the first post

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Short answer, no, not really.

Like said, most remedies became actual medicine if scientifically proven.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have great insurance. So I'd like to get stuff that doesn't always need a prescription. Because then I have to pay extra just to see the fucking doctor for a prescription...That I already know I need.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Derailing the thread through antagonizing OP with baggage.
You also posted a threat of violence to family member. So what is it?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No offense dude . But science . But go ahead with it if the placebo works or some combination modern science hasn't more power
To you.science doesn't claim
It knows all

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't have great insurance. So I'd like to get stuff that doesn't always need a prescription. Because then I have to pay extra just to see the fucking doctor for a prescription...That I already know I need.
A pharmacist is still your best bet. A consultation with a pharmacist at a grocery store or a Walgreens or CVS is free and they can recommend a lot of generic or herbal remedies

Best thing for Gout is a healthier diet.

This also. 100%

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine willingly suffering through gout pain more than you had to- go to the doctor! Most herbal medicines do not have noticable effects, it's stuff like drinking tea to calm you down. Like sure tea can be soothing, but it's not noticably effective compared to an aspirin because that's not what it's there to do.

I think you'd end up paying more money on weird herbal nonsense that does nothing or almost nothing than you would on gout medicine.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
A place? I don't know. However natural remedies are ok for some things but not that pseudoscience herbal medicine bullshit/trend that is supposed to curve and solve a whole bunch of shit, and natural remedies shouldn't be used as a substitute for serious conditions or when it's not being effective and something over the counter may help you better with.

e.g there is nothing wrong with homemade cough syrup for soothing and such, but it's not going to fight an infection or something... there are naturally occuring properties in some plants and other things that help but there is a limit to their effectiveness without its properties being used in medical chemistry - however there is a huuuuuuuge amount of stuff that is just 100% bullshit like tea tree oil that is used to "treat" all sorts of skin conditions.

Fact is if something is not working for you, it's not working that goes for anything like over the counter medicine or prescribed, etc - you need to speak to a doctor to see what else can be done. Majority of the time natural remedies will not work, because most of it is BS, and the stuff that does work is usually for minor things like minor burns, but their effectiveness is limited so you'd be better off just getting proper medicine.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you want something that works, it needs to be tested first. That's where science comes in. If it worked, it would have to be called a medicine. Sorry about your insurance but if you want a non-prescription medicine, go for NSAIDs (naproxen, ibuprofen, aspirin) which reduce pain and swelling. You already know gout is due to inflammation in your joints leading to uric acid crystals, so you need something to reduce the inflammation. Prescription medicines (allopurinol, probenecid, pegloticase, lesinurad) would reduce the uric acid in your joints.

Herbal remedies:
giphy.gif

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Yea. Over the counter stuff doesn't do much sadly.

I didn't even buy the celery stuff. Gf did and I've taken it because she wants me to. I wanted to show her some info on it so that she wouldn't buy more unless it was actually doing something

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Never heard of that drug and I have been to doctors before for this gout. Those side effects are no joke though. Did you ever get any?

Yep, works great. Doctor prescribed. All pharmaceutical medicines have to list all possible side effects (in Australia so not sure where you are), but the odds of experiencing even 1 or 2 of them is small. I never experienced any for what it's worth.

I would definitely see your doctor about it and see if they will prescribe it for you.