• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
What about people with Dragonball Z avatars?

Never trust anyone with a Vegeta or Piccolo avatar. Or Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku. Only normal Goku is good.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so why is it the media's fault that people act a certain way, exactly? Do you mind explaining that jump in logic? If anime truly leads people into sexist and alt-right ideals as you say, what evidence is there to support this?

People have been saying it on the thread, Anime does NOT drive people into the alt right, the kind of people who the alt right feeds on happen to be likely to be into anime and nerd interests in general like gaming, sci fi and comicbooks, because the Alt-Right swells its ranks with outcasts, and outcasts often have nerd interests, resulting in alt-right types occasionally having anime avatars.

So what anime is everyone currently watching? Right now I am watching Uma Musume Pretty Derby. Gold Ship is best horse.

KsncxNW.gif

hxHXb7z.gif

1B1uDVY.gif
Yo, if your down for some horse girl talks head to the anime thread under hangouts.

The funniest part of the anime avatar thing is when the avatar their using conflicts with what their saying. Like person complaining about LGBT while their avatar is a character whose gay.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
People have been saying it on the thread, Anime does NOT drive people into the alt right, the kind of people who the alt right feeds on happen to be likely to be into anime and nerd interests in general like gaming, sci fi and comicbooks, because the Alt-Right swells its ranks with outcasts, and outcasts often have nerd interests, resulting in alt-right types occasionally having anime avatars.
I agree with this but this is specifically targeted at spatula's argument not the entire thread. My own opinion on this matter is that defining people by the medium they consume is extremely hateful and trivializes bigger issues in society today. That isn't to say issues in these mediums are to be ignored but I feel like there isn't a 1:1 to a person's character soley by the medium they consume, so the idea of judging people just because they like anime or assuming they have alt-right ideals is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
My opinion is that people who judge people who have anime avatars need to grow up and stop engaging in high school level ad hominem tactics.

This. Every month this type of thread keeps popping up and the wording of the OPs are such that it always devolves into continuous broadbrushing and auto-judging.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I was part of GFS, one of the first german sub groups on ffm IRC.

I know its not THAT bad, but in my experience worse than in other fandoms, mainly franco-belgian comics (though most of fans of that are older than the average anime viewer).
Nice, I thought so since the German fansubbing scene was never that large to not have a general overview of the groups.

Absolutely, considering franco-belgian comics/tv stuff haven't been relevant for a pretty long time. I mean, when was the last time you saw short Spirou und Fantasio comics on the top of Nutella jars?

That might be true, but what if people from those communities are actually the "loudest" ones? On Era in threads about the sexualization of females in anime often people defend it by artistic choice and at least in my experience often people with anime-avatars (of young females). Like I said. Maybe its just my confirmation bias. Thats totally a possibility.
People on the internet in forums/on social media/etc with extreme opinions are generally more louder than people with neutral or no opinions. That's usually how it works because without an opinion or a neutral one, why would you want to spread it? Also, if you have such a goal, you might utilize other things such as bots for Twitter (which is why I mentioned that getting impressions from there is generally not the best idea). Also, closed places like forums where the staff veer towards one side and punish the other also tend to become echo chambers over time.

Imo animexx was always a place for "weebs", who actually arent that deep into the media, but were quite vocal about being part of the fandom.
Also A LOT of cosplay drama.
I guess outside of that one never noticed that it was quite that bad since you only knew it was about "cosplay" and that "it isn't the best place". Also, members probably posted rarely in other forums...or at least I've pretty much never met anyone that is part of that forum (or they just never mentioned it).

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd say that how anime frequently treats women, particularly their bodies and personalities can appeal to young male assholes. Particularly the type that want to stay anonymous on the internet while also wanting to project their pop culture tastes.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A person who doesn't know what GAF/Resetera is likely also doesn't know what Gamergate is, these are things you have to be in deep into the hobby to know.

Even when John Oliver made that internet bullying piece that touched the harassment of Brianna Wu didn't even acknowledge gamergate by name.
I think point of the post is that such generalizations can apply to gaming communities as a whole as well. Like mass media which argue games are associated with "violent" incdients.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's likely just stereotyping. I personally see the words "anime avatars" used in various situations, sometimes as a scapegoat to deflect attention of an incredibly dumb statement (it's been a while, so I don't have any links). I've sometimes actually looked up in comment chains on Twitter how these absolutely dreadful anime avatars that are supposedly in the millions and it turned out to be less than five compared to the countless non-anime avatars that spouted hate or whatever the situation. This is my experience, though. I think it's easy to fixate on anime avatars as they kinda stand out due to being drawings.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
You want me to specifically discuss this subject? Ok so why is it the media's fault that people act a certain way, exactly? Do you mind explaining that jump in logic? If anime truly leads people into sexist and alt-right ideals as you say, what evidence is there to support this? In the first post you posted in this thread you said anime fans let things slide and there might be ("maybe") a correlation between anime avatars and alt-right. Do you have evidence for either of these assertions?
I don't but we tend to absorb media we agree with on some level, so a medium steeped in sexism, homogenity, etc seems to have a large contigent of sexist and more traditionally extreme views, one can only assume the medis they absorb is giving them a feedback loop.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This I agree with 100%

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
The correlation is there, but you must always remember correlation =/= causation.

In this case, it's pretty clear.

Being young = more likelihood of having an extreme opinion, more likelihood of being active in social networks, more likelihood of being an anime fan, more likelihood of being active on a gaming forum.

So, extreme opinions are most likely based on the age of the person saying it, than having an anime avatar.

The famous example of this is the correlation between the number of pubs and churches in a town, it's almost perfect 1:1. The more churches there are, the more pubs there are. Obviously they are explained by the number of people living in a town, but one could wrongly say that the more religious people is, the more likely is that they are drunk.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Empty vessels make the most noise.

You notice them more because they're loud voices and because of the "nerd culture" they inhabit - Gamer Gate to Alt-Right - the chances of them having an anime avatar are increased.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
To tell you the truth i'm upset this thread is even a thing because it means that there's still people that think that, it's as stupid as when people dismiss your opinion on a videogame because you have a Master Chief/Kratos/Mario avatar only that here it's worse because the implications are much greater.
And what's worse is that more often than not the moderation team often don't act when these discriminations happen.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
User Warned: Advocating avatar shaming.
To tell you the truth i'm upset this thread is even a thing because it means that there's still people that think that, it's as stupid as when people dismiss your opinion on a videogame because you have a Master Chief/Kratos/Mario avatar only that here it's worse because the implications are much greater.
And what's worse is that more often than not the moderation team often don't act when these discriminations happen.
It's not discrimination if you choose to have that avatar.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

My question or point of discussion is whether there is a correlation or not or if its confirmation bias on a lot of peoples sides (including mine). I dont intend to discriminate anyone (since I am also a fan).

I didnt say that everyone who has an anime avatar belongs to the alt-right or is a GG. I rocked one on GAF for several years:

kaiji.png

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Lots of terrible hot takes and trolling from anime avatars. But there's plenty of great users here there sport anime avatars too.

It's a shame anime avatars have been taken hostage by the scurge of the internet.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It's not discrimination if you choose to have that avatar.
Even if one doesn't have an anime/manga avatar the correlation still exists to those people, it's not the avatar per se that triggers the reaction but the mere fact of watching or liking those things that makes people go "oh so you are a nazi/racist/whatever and/or your opinion is invalid".

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think it started as something people noticed about a few of the worst cesspools online and now it's just confirmation bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.