Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Ken Masters SFV
01-Intro.jpg
sf5-devoile-ses-costumes-alternatifs-et-ken-devien_n1e1.640.jpg

The character design was so bad that the game ended up completely bombing, people refused to purchased the game for what they did to Ken. SFIV ended up selling over 8.8 million units, and SFV was struggling to hit the 2 million mark that has got to be the biggest drop of sales from any franchise. Fans weren't happy with they did to Ken, and even Capcom knows it was so bad that they are refusing to out him on any of the boxart, and they even removed him from the cinematic opening in the arcade edition. One of his alternate costume is armor that covers his face.

People are going to bring up that it sold so badly because of the poor content at launch, but let's be real it's not like IV had great single player content. The game launched with Arcade stories, survival, and multiplayer and IV launched with basically the same thing instead of arcade stories it had an arcade mode. Even with the rebranding and addition of extra single player content such as story mode, arcade mode, and challenges the game still wasn't able to turn it around. From 8.8m+ sales to ~2.4m sales. And the fighting game genre isn't dead either, DBFZ, MK, Injustice, and Smash Bros all seem to be hits.

Where is the patch Capcom? They could still turn it around.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think its a bit hyperbolic to say its the character design that made it a "flop". there are a lot of factors that made iv successful that were not in play for v, and honestly the thing that i would say turned me off the game was just the lack of a lot of content. there was no arcade mode, there weren't a ton of characters, and there were just better games in the same genre coming out at the same time.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Any bomberman design that does not have a tv head

djiMuiN.jpg
TO5uw8N.png

Ken design had nothing to do with SF5 sales, hate or anything. It was just an easy meme and a pretty obscure one at that

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming you're joking about him being the reason for the low sales, but it's honestly one of the reasons I dropped the game. There was a PC mod that fixed it within 2 or 3 days of release, it actually might've been during the beta but no luck on console. Oh well, evil Ryu please.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The fuck is this guy all about?

latest

Like, generations don't exist anymore man.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible op is a terrible op. Ken looks good and the hate against his look is overblown.

Ken's new default costume with gi top down and red-lined bodysuit is completely excellent. To me it was instantly iconic. The only problem for ken in SFV is his facial modeling and hair.

It's not even design, it's a technical issue. We all know SFV's development was rocky as hell and Ken obviously got shit on with a poorly executed model. (A problem Capcom often has, judging by faces in Marvel Infinite as well as bizarre bodies - especially torso and shoulder connections.)

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If we're gonna be using one of Ken's costumes as evidence, I would like to submit one of if not the best costumes in SFV:

Rathalos Ken

ST0MXHJ.jpg

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
"The character redesign was so bad that the game ended up completely bombing, because people refused to purchased the game."

Lol

OP
OP

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
i think its a bit hyperbolic to say its the character design that made it a "flop". there are a lot of factors that made iv successful that were not in play for v, and honestly the thing that i would say turned me off the game was just the lack of a lot of content. there was no arcade mode, there weren't a ton of characters, and there were just better games in the same genre coming out at the same time.
If I remember correctly the only other competition on the market was Killer Instinct which launched with even less content.

"The character redesign was so bad that the game ended up completely bombing, because people refused to purchased the game."

Lol
Oops. Let me go fix that.

If we're gonna be using one of Ken's costumes as evidence, I would like to submit one of if not the best costumes in SFV:

Rathalos Ken

ST0MXHJ.jpg

His best costume is the costume that covers his face.

Oct 27, 2017
Edit : lol I've read it wrong

I think Baldur actually looks great. When you first see him he doesn't look intimidating at all compared to Kratos, but the moment he does that massive punch you know shit just got real. And he's a god so of course he'd have super strength, but he doesn't need to be muscular to convey that.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
While the design was very quickly scrapped, I still think Knuckles's redesign in Sonic Boom looks ridiculous.

502.png

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I quite like his default look, even if he looks a bit goofy in the character select screen. Don't like the alt costume you posted in the OP though, he looks a bit weird there.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Ken design had nothing to do with SF5 sales, hate or anything.
So is this why people feel the need to end there posts with "/s"?

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
This has to be the worst OP this forum has ever seen

Ken's SF5 design is excellent. Now go look at the monstrosity that is SF4 Ken.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
While the design was very quickly scrapped, I still think Knuckles's redesign in Sonic Boom looks ridiculous.

502.png

" We are going to make him really big because he's strong "

I mean its nothing inherently wrong with design philosphy. I actually have seen sonic fan redesigns that do pretty interesting things with characters being different heights and such.

Its that the rest of the design philosophy of the game is so basic, knuckles ends up looking really bad.

Knuckles is big and has tape, that's his design.

I thnk the reason Boom amy, tails, eggman and shadow look fine is because they tried to do a bit more with the design, or incorporate elements of their older designs into their new ones.

Knuckles is just big and has tape and in retrospect that shit looks hella lazy, like they just took a normal knuckles model head and shoved on some fan redners body

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Ken ingame model is one of the best redesign of this generation. It's only the character select photo shoot which is shitty.

Oct 27, 2017
Ken's design was fine. The only problem I can see is his hair which looks dumb.

ada-1134850-1280x0.jpeg

Worst redesign for me would be Ada from REmake 2. It is not bad but at the same time looks goofy since it looks like a "not a spy" kind of look.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You make it sound like it didn't sell because of Ken's design. Not sure if serious or joking.