Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'll be upfront with you Era, I'm quite proficient with the English language. English was the only subject I excelled at in school. I was a typical teenage bum for everything else. For some reason, I have had just zero trouble picking up a formal writing style and extensive vocabulary that regularly gets commented on by my family unprompted. I will actually use a word as complicated as "inebriated" to describe to a loved one something that could be whittled down to "He was drunk and acting stupid" and the message would be across loud and clear. Hell I'm not even sure if this very paragraph is too long.

Like, is it strange or off putting to other people to write and speak like this? My family (read: Grandmother and mother) say that they actually find it impressive, and would if they were strangers......Soooo of course I "Ok Boomer"d that shit and decided I needed a second opinion on Era.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
No it isn't especially if it's who you are but know when and where it's okay to be so formal. It could catch a lot of people off guard especially if they don't understand the meaning of the words you're using. Give people time to get used to you as a person and take it from there.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There's no harm is having a big vocabulary, but sounding like a thesaurus is off-putting.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the audience really.

Something i like to do when confronted with obnoxious kids or morons is to switch to a very formal way of speaking so i can politely insult them without them understanding half the things i say and thus not really realising they've been insulted.

But otherwise, i tend to be a relaxed potty mouth. I prefer it that way.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was probably a bit like this when I was a teenager. English was the only subject I was really good at, I watched a lot of classic Doctor Who, etc.

Over time I learned to dial it back. Unless you're hanging out with other English nerds, life's just easier that way.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Its not weird but know who you are talking to
Sadly shit like that does get mocked VERY often behind closed doors and backs

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a time and place for everything.

When a close friend is being too formal with me I'll just say "cut the bullshit".

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Quite proficient with the English language"

Yeah. Speaking/writing too formally without it being the place and time for it is really weird.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a proficient in Japanese like I am, and know the Japanese way, it is imperative that you always speak formally. It is seen as extremely shameful to speak up in any other manner and you will most likely get side eyed and thrown out of establishments very quickly. Not to mention your family name will also have a stain on it for all generations that come after. Watch out.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
If you're a proficient in Japanese like I am, and know the Japanese way, it is imperative that you always speak formally. It is seen as extremely shameful to speak up in any other manner and you will most likely get side eyed and thrown out of establishments very quickly. Not to mention your family name will also have a stain on it for all generations that come after. Watch out.

Doesn't that depend on the hierarchy though?

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Instead of "he's inebriated" or "he's drunk" just say "it would appear that our friend is anything but a teetotaler, 'carpe vinum' indeed"

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, talk like a normal person. Using unnecessarily verbose words whether in speech or in writing doesn't impress anyone above 21 who's not related to you.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
It can be. If you're constantly using formal speech while others are trying to have a relaxed, casual conversation it's gonna feel awkward. At best it seems kind of stilted, and at worst it might come off as condescending. You don't have to dumb down your vocabulary, but your speech should flow naturally and effortlessly. That is, assuming you're trying to have an enjoyable conversation, and not just trying to show off your "proficient" English skills.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It can be. If you're constantly using formal speech while others are trying to have a relaxed, casual conversation it's gonna feel awkward. At best it seems kind of stilted, and at worst it might come off as condescending. You don't have to dumb down your vocabulary, but your speech should flow naturally and effortlessly. That is, assuming you're trying to have an enjoyable conversation, and not just trying to show off your "proficient" English skills.

Well I'm not conversing like Microsoft SAM 100% of the time, but I will throw in a verbose word every now and then just out of habit. It's how my brain works.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'll be upfront with you Era, I'm quite proficient with the English language. English was the only subject I excelled at in school. I was a typical teenage bum for everything else. For some reason, I have had just zero trouble picking up a formal writing style and extensive vocabulary that regularly gets commented on by my family unprompted. I will actually use a word as complicated as "inebriated" to describe to a loved one something that could be whittled down to "He was drunk and acting stupid" and the message would be across loud and clear. Hell I'm not even sure if this very paragraph is too long.

Like, is it strange or off putting to other people to write and speak like this? My family (read: Grandmother and mother) say that they actually find it impressive, and would if they were strangers......Soooo of course I "Ok Boomer"d that shit and decided I needed a second opinion on Era.

Since when did inebriated become a "complicated" word.

Its all about knowing your audience.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
As others have said, it's a case of knowing the audience and adjusting your speech accordingly. The same goes for writing.

Try not to be quite so sesquipedalian.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
If other people think it is weird that is their own problem. Communicate how you are most comfortable communicating.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Lol funny you mention the word inebriated, I've definitely used that and people will look at me like "The fuck?" "He's drunk" "Oh....well just say that!

May 24, 2019
Inebriated isn't some complicated word. Every adult knows it, they just don't use it outside of particular formal situations.
Sorry, nobody but mum will be impressed.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely tone that shit down when trying to make friends, if you're very fastidious about it. It can make you feel like you're trying to hold people at a distance. The moment you start dropping words like "desuetude" and "tendentious" into friendly conversations, you know you have a problem. Do use good punctuation, though. That's always cool.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Honestly I would probably find it a bit offputting. It would make me think you're showing off/being pretentious.

If someone in my social group said inebriated without their tongue poking in their cheek I would be a bit baffled.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Definitely tone that shit down when trying to make friends, if you're very fastidious about it. It can make you feel like you're trying to hold people at a distance. The moment you start dropping words like "desuetude" and "tendentious" into friendly conversations, you know you have a problem. Do use good punctuation, though. That's always cool.

Luckily for me I didn't know what any of those words were until 5 seconds ago so maybe I'm not forever lost.

It seems to me like a fine line to walk for someone like me who just does it....because, and not because I'm trying to show off or be pretentious. Like that right there "Pretentious", it comes across like a "big" word and yet so many use it.

May 24, 2019
If you're self conscious about it or even really noticing, I don't know how casual it could actually be for you.
Speak like a regular dumb dumb and you might feel more relaxed :)

edit: Become a poet. That's a great excuse for randomly plugging in smarty words.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
If you're self conscious about it or even really noticing, I don't know how casual it could actually be for you.

That's the thing, I didn't take much notice of it until recently. My family have been commenting on my style of talking for a long time. The fact that my friends never have from memory probably says something.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Hell, I feel weird for using mostly complete sentences and passable grammar in text and social media.

To this day I find it strange that 30-50 year-old people use text speak and tons of emojis.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

edit: Become a poet. That's a great excuse for randomly plugging in smarty words.

Oh man, I must be way more ignorant than I thought. I NEVER imagined this would be such a big deal in social spheres. No wonder I'm a loner.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone used the word "Inebriated" to describe someone as drunk, I would think they were a narc.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do what you want to do but remember that brevity is the soul of wit. You can get away with verbosity if you have a certain style to go along with it but mostly it just comes off as pompous and affected.