KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tw73o483g7u41.gif

"This is how I shall always remember you: surrounded by winter, forever young, forever beautiful. Rest well, my love. The monster who took you from me will soon learn that revenge is a dish... best served COLD."

Mr. Freeze is one of the more tragic foes in Batman's Rogue Gallery. After being revamped for Batman The Animated Series, the tale of Victor trying to find a cure for his wife terminal illness, whilst accidentally getting caught in a Labratory mishap, Victor now has to travel in a Cryogenic suit just to even live, to try and find a way to save his wife, even though his methods have him head face to face with the bat. He's remained as one of Batmans more memorable opponents.

Mr. Freeze is also tragic in that his big screen debut was in this film.

MV5BMGQ5YTM1NmMtYmIxYy00N2VmLWJhZTYtN2EwYTY3MWFhOTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA2NTI0MTY@._V1_UY1200_CR88,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

A hastily rushed film that seemed more interested in selling toys then tell as story, overbloated with too many characters as is, Arnold Schwarzeneggar turning Mr. Freeze into a walking Ice Pun dispenser was not popular. With it's negative response and poor box office response, Warners has still been trying to avoid similar mistakes to this day.

But Batman and Robin is about 23 years old now, We've had 2 different actors don the cowl since, with a third coming up very soon. And arguably, a worse Batman film has come out since then as well.

842c2c2b50fc4baaa85c32b7361ee53c.png

*CoughYouKnowIt'sTrueCough*

Mr Freeze has also featured in other Batman Media since then, with a notable role in Gotham, and multiple appearances in the Batman Arkham series, even getting a DLC expansion devoted to him in Batman Arkham Origins.

maxresdefault.jpg

So, is it time to allow the bat to take on the doctor again on the big screen? (When they re-open again that is). Or maybe a solo film for Freezes origins could be done, considering the commercial success of Joker, it might be possible as well. What do you think?

(I suppose the same could be said for Poison Ivy as well since she also hasn't made a live action film appearance since Batman and Robin as well. It's just people remember Arnie's take on Mr Freeze more than Uma's take on Poison Ivy).

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
YES, a thousand times yes, one of Batman's best antagonist deserves way more than Arnold's ice puns

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking about this the other day while watching Harley Quinn. I think a Mr. Freeze solo film could be really good, or having him as the sole villain in a future Batman movie. The first time I saw his backstory on TAS as a kid, I was shocked as I hadn't seen anything that sad in a cartoon TV show before.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They can't even do Batman or the Joker right lately. I can't imagine they'd be able to do Fries right.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I really liked what they did in Harley Quinn, where you expect him to be a total creep, and he's not.

I've always liked Mr Freeze, but I like him as a "villain" whos basically a bad guy as a part time job to fund his wife's stasis.

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If your job was to make me feel really bloody old then it worked OP

I have a younger cousin who's batman film they grew up on is BvS and Suicide Squad, not seeing any of the Nolan Movies as they came out when they were like 2-3 years old.

I don't want to break their heads telling them are Batman films even older than the Nolan ones.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I will not allow Batman & Robin criticism in this thread. Unironically think Arnold ruled in that movie. "One more diamond, my love..."

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
That first appearance on the old animated series proves he can be done in a fantastically good way.

I'm down.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That first appearance on the old animated series proves he can be done in a fantastically good way.

I'm down.

This?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Yeah i remember watching this as a kid. Man, they dont make em like they used to.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
This?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Yeah i remember watching this as a kid. Man, they dont make em like they used to.

That's the one! Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, that episode is where the whole story with his wife came from.

Best portrayal ever.

Oct 25, 2017
He's a great character, he deserves it.

Live action batman films have been going in a more somber and realistic direction in the years since Arnold (batffleck was in a more fantastical universe but never got a standalone). Between Nolan and Reeves it sounds like he might be a tough one to adapt into these sorts of movies.
I'm sure it's perfectly possible, but I haven't yet considered how to do it. How would you adapt Freeze to suit more somber realistic tones? He's already a somber character to begin with (thanks to BTAS), but I'm more concerned about his criminal MO and powerset. Sounds like a challenge, he's got a pretty fantastical backstory and origin. I doubt he'd be running around Gotham with literal cold blood wielding an ice shooter.

What would you do with him?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
They can certainly try. But, for me, much like with the Joker, Batman the Animated series set the standard from what I want from Mr.Freeze. Michael Ansara absolutely nailed it out of the park! While I'm absolutely open to it, I haven't see any evidence that the folks in charge of DC movies could deliver what I want.

Nov 8, 2017
The good parts of Mr Freeze have nothing to do with him being a big blue man, so you could trivially adapt the emotional core of that TAS origin story into something where he's just a cryogenic scientist with gadgets, not actually a mutated dude who needs a cold suit. He would have some suit to protect him from cold temps since he's wielding a freeze gun and working in icey conditions, not to keep him cold.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Years ago I thought Patrick Stewart would make a great Freeze. I still do. He of course looks the part then and now but he's a fine fucking actor at that and would probably knock the right material out of the park.

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll go on record that I don't mind all the ice puns for the cheese, Arnie is actually the most entertaining part of the film compared to Clooney sleepwalking through the film and Robins angst.

Heck, they even pretty much kept the Heart of Ice story as is in the film as well. Don't change what works.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I have a younger cousin who's batman film they grew up on is BvS and Suicide Squad, not seeing any of the Nolan Movies as they came out when they were like 2-3 years old.

I don't want to break their heads telling them are Batman films even older than the Nolan ones.
I feel so sorry for them, what rubbish films to grow up on.

Get them on BTAS as a way to get into it? Worked for me way back when.