Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Or the Sasuke rescue arc. Shit that burns itself into your mind and makes it so memorable. Only modern stuff that comes close is Escanor from Seven Deadly Sins

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Hero Academia had the tournament arc with Deku being a complete lunatic, but uh the show did sort of peak there.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it might be due to experience with the media compared to past times. it was newer then compared to now

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
ExbIgbrWQA02yju.png:large

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
It's longed since peaked, but the first half of MHA had Deku vs Muscular and the United States of Smash.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
1. You were younger and the media was newer.
2. There is a lot more media now instead of waiting for that weekly chapter of one of five series back in the early 00s. You had nothing to replace it with.
3. Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto are ass for pacing. When you got something, you fucking deserved it for waiting months if not years for it. Now, epic moments are given out like candy on Halloween.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping up with most of the hot new shonen animes (JJK, Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man) and I think that the issue is the opposite. There's TOO much epic shit, so nothing stands out.

More so, a lot of these kind of rush through what would should be more character/world build up and blow their load in nearly every episode in a race to get to spectacle.

JJK for example had nearly feature-quality fights in every ep, but I would have preferred half the fights and twice the character development so the fights they DID have meant more.

You simply don't get satisfying defeats like Zabuza's or Crocodile's with the way so many shonens these days barrel through their set pieces without taking the time and care to make them mean something.

I've found much more enjoyment from sports shonen (Kuroko, Haikyuu!!, Chihayafuru) getting me hyped like the big three used to. (Well like OP still does).

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I've been keeping up with most of the hot new shonen animes (JJK, Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man) and I think that the issue is the opposite. There's TOO much epic shit, so nothing stands out.

More so, a lot of these kind of rush through what would should be more character/world build up and blow their load in nearly every episode in a race to get to spectacle.

JJK for example had nearly feature-quality fights in every ep, but I would have preferred half the fights and twice the character development so the fights they DID have meant more.

You simply don't get satisfying defeats like Zabuza's or Crocodile's with the way so many shonens these days barrel through their set pieces without taking the time and care to make them mean something.

I've found much more enjoyment from sports shonen (Kuroko, Haikyuu!!, Chihayafuru) getting me hyped like the big three used to. (Well like OP still does).

Oh yeah I'll say this:

Haikyuu gets me hyped like nothing else did since Dragonball Z when I was a little kid. That show is DAMN good at hype.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
You're probably just not in the target age demo for that stuff anymore. Plus some rose tinted glasses for those moments too.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reigen Arataka dismantling the Scars and their values in Mob Psycho 100. It's pretty great.

Pretty divisive but I like the constant escalation of Garou and his ability in One Punch Man. Dude just kept going. There's multiple scenes of him getting beaten to the edge to come and jump forward again.

Oh and who could forget Maki from JJK
coming back from the brink of death, after being burned alive, beaten by her father and then having her sister kill herself in front of her. There's a couple of moments with Maki. The first being immediately after the death of her sister, she annihilates her family. The second being her freeing herself from the psychological chains of everything surrounding her- the sumo chapter.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
People are losing their shit over CSM and that show has barely started yet.

You never know how good an adaptation can be but if its even half decent, come back to this thread in a year or two when the wild shit in that manga gets adapted.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
It's you.

Demon Slayer, JJK, Chainsaw Man, Bleach (does that count?), My Hero.

Even the God damn soccer anime is killing it.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
To be fair at the time of those moments someone who grew up on earlier shonen could easily be posting is it just me or does modern Shonen not do anything as memorable anymore as the Joe vs Rikiishi or the Saiyan Saga. This is just what it means to be old, sorry. It'll happen to you.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
It just depends on what you are reading/ watching I can think about 10 just from Chainsaw Man alone. But I have favorite moments from Black Clover, JJK, Attack on Titan and Dr Stone.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Hero Academia had the tournament arc with Deku being a complete lunatic, but uh the show did sort of peak there.
I thought Endeavor's
Prominence Burn against the High-End Nomu at the end of S4
was right up there with Deku's tourney moments and the endings of the first two films. My coworker while we were watching it at work jumped out of his chair and started yelling. It was pretty hype.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Nah when the Black Bulls jumped in to stop Langris from killing Finral it was the hypest shit

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Seems about the same to me, actually PeakPointMatrix might have a point, watching the latest demon slayer season for instance is pure animation hype for like 8 brawling episodes straight, but doesn't have all that much substance really and it can kinda blend together.
Back in my day you slogged through 36 episodes of just passably animated Naruto to get that one episode with glorious budget, and we were damn grateful!

Still I opened the thread thinking of this bit from MHA, is it a kinda BS win outta nowhere? yeah, but damn did Bones deliver, and Deku's voice actor is nailing every beat

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct8In_FAvZE&ab_channel=CrunchyrollCollection

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I don't feel it lacking.

There's the entirety of season 3 of Haikyuu.
Soma challenging Shinomiya to a Food War in season 1 was hype as shit.
These two are great examples because they manage to be hype without being your typical anime world ending stakes.

Newer shows are definitely paced a lot faster than old stuff. So there aren't a lot of "I've been waiting for this for years" moments, but y'all call anything that's not a hype fight these days filler.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Blue Lock has been fucking insane. Besides Haikyuu, I don't really care for sports anime but Blue Lock is hype ass moment after hype ass moment.

All Might vs Nomu and Deku vs Todoroki in My Hero but unfortunately the series peaked there

Demon Slayer episode 19

Jujutsu season 2 is going to be willld

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Season 2 of JJK is going to be absolutely bananas OP don't worry.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Attack on Titan was the last battle shonen that got me really hyped.

MHA, Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man are nice but I read and move on to the next

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a couple years since the final season ended, but Symphogear is full of them and heavily plays off of The Rule of Cool, and has some of my favorite scenes. This one in the opening of Season 3 is one of the best and most used scenes to show what Symphogear is all about.

View: https://streamable.com/8ez3h

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
"Right now? Here? We're doing this?" From Attack on Titan is one of the most epic scenes I've ever seen in any Shonen, modern or otherwise.

Prominence Burn, post wound Mirio soloing the villains, the end of All Might vs AF1 and All Might vs Nomu, Mirko vs the Nomus, Shigaraki's story flashback and the end of his fight vs Re-Destro...I don't see how MHA doesn't make anyone smile a little.

The ending of the Mugen train arc in Demon Slayer legitimately had me in tears... and the ending of the next arc fight was just as good.

I feel like a lot of the anime threads on this site have two sides - people watching the anime fresh who generally enjoy them for the spectacle, and people watching after having finished the manga who hate the series for ruining their favorite moments with the wrong hair color, music choice, voice actor, or animation studio.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This might count as cheating but the new bleach episodes have been CRAZY

5e389-16684519345108-1920.jpg

954e95cb641cbf048dd7a02f262457c8651c6ab3.gif
Man, I still can't believe Bleach has been some of the most hype shit this year, I knew I always wanted to see this fight animated, but they really delivered.
this first batch of episodes has like two of my favourite bits of the entire series, the other being finally seeing Unohana pop off

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Nah, Sakamoto Days, Undead Unluck and Mashle (less so) have some insanely hype moments, they just haven't been animated yet.