Is Halo hype coming back

• Halo hype is approaching peak levels

Votes: 306 15.5%
  • We are not there yet but I can see the levels rising

Votes: 778 39.3%
  • Meh, its no different than with halo 5

Votes: 237 12.0%
  • Halo hype is a shell of it's former self and it'll be never be there with the big boys again

Votes: 578 29.2%
  • Halo is dead/irrelevant/I don't like fun/Christmas? Humbug!

Votes: 80 4.0%

• Total voters

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
This tweet of the official Halo twitter:

has amassed over 100 thousand likes in the last 18 hours and is basically just a countdown hype tweet with no new information whatsoever. This comes on the heels of the cryptic Signal Detected tweet also already getting over 100k likes

All the Halo youtube fan accounts are amassing hundreds of thousands of views as well and there is talk of halo infinite wherever I turn, even though we know very little about the actual game.

This all is probably going to get a lot bigger if 343 delviers next week.

We are not at halo 3 levels yet, though this feels bigger than anything halo 5 was able to garner way deeper into the marketing cycle.

Granted, I'm a huge Halo fan, so my assessment of things might be a little tainted due to the internets inclination to become an echo chamber once you are in too deep, so I wanted to ask era, Is Halo Hype coming back? I'm interested especially in what the PS only gamers think, Is the second hand hype palpable?
The question is not if you think the game will deliver, but rather if it is able to garner excitement...

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
If the Halo Infinite reveal is a hit I can see mass hype becoming a thing again. Especially since it's also on PC.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The hype is here and it's only going to get bigger. The marketing campaign hasn't even really started for it yet. Once the marketing machine picks up, it's going to be exciting.

The Banished teaser they released a little while ago broke I believe 2 million views on Twitter.

Halo MCC has also been a top seller on steam for the past couple of weeks.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely thought people didn't really care about Halo after 343 took over the franchise. The number of likes on that tweet would've seemed impossible if I wasn't seeing it myself. Anecdotally I haven't heard anyone talk about the game at all, but I guess there's still plenty of fans left.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
I think people are hype for a new Halo that will be on PC day 1 (supposedly).

Enough to forget that 343 isn't Bungie and hasn't put out anything close to the height of the previous developers' efforts yet.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hell yes its happening. People remmeber when Halo was great and on top of the gaming world. Its till unique and unmatch by other FPS in so many ways. People want Infinite to be amazing and the Halo 1-3 vibes are strong with it so far, the hype is real.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's more chatter on it than Halo 5, Halo Wars 2 etc - so that's certainly promising. But it's nothing like it used to be yet.

If the reveal looks as excellent as I hope it will be (was a huge fan of Bungie Halo) - then I can see the hype growing substantially. That said, it's going to take some strong marketing from Microsoft if they want Halo 2/3/Reach levels of hype. I'm not convinced Microsoft can pull it off based on their marketing over the last few years. But I'd love to see Halo come back in a big way. It absolutely deserves to be every bit as popular as whatever the latest COD entry ends up being.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal, but H3 on Steam has absolutely exploded among my friends and in my WoW guild. It couldn't have hit at a better time, given the upcoming Infinite reveal.

Jan 4, 2018
I think Halo Infinite is going to surpass Halo 3 numbers in the long term with PC and Gamepass.

And just look at metrics with these Halo 5 teaser tweets from August 2015 when they were teasing the opening cutscene : 1,5k likes and 1,3k likes.
(And I think Halo 5 marketing was pretty good so it's very telling of the hype if Halo Infinite is doing so well)

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Halo on Xbox is still massive.

PC will be interesting. Basd on the MCC population numbers, there was clearly a massive amount of interest initially, Reach peaking over 150k players .

But Halo 3, the peak has been 50k, despite it being another title not previusly available on PC.

I think the MP of older Halo games don't hold up so well on PC, but Infinite definitely has the potential to change that.

rSdjWkx.png

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A little bit. Infinite would need to deliver on that hype though.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a quick look on Google search analytics and the answer is: absolutely not. People don't care about the Halo franchise even close to like they used to.

Worldwide Halo interest from 2004-present day:

CE7-F389-F-D563-43-B8-9106-72-A7-C978-E773.png

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I doubt Halo will ever be as big as Halo 3 (that's when that movie should've been released btw) again, but hopefully a new and fresh take on Halo can create some hype at least.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I can't come close to getting hyped until there's an indication that the game is a massive improvement over 4/5

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
For me at least yes. I haven't been excited for a Halo game like this in a long time. 23rd can't come soon enough.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I had a quick look on Google search analytics and the answer is: absolutely not. People don't care about the Halo franchise even close to like they used to.

why are you answering a question that was never asked in the OP? Lol.

OP says it's not close to the 2004 era. But even from the graphs you can see the decline stops and there's the beginnings of an uptick at the end

You'd also expect next week's showcase to increase the traffic.

Jun 15, 2020
I've been feeling it inside myself. Halo was my life in high school, but I've fallen out the last few years. Never got to the point of hating it or anything (I even had fun with 5), but was mostly indifferent.

But the past few weeks, it's awoken in me again 😂 Been replaying the series with my girl (her first time), been watching videos, been reading the wiki.... man, I can't wait. Maybe it's the 5 year absence.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always loved Halo but fell out of it the last couple of years. But I've been totally engrossed by Halo stuff the last couple of weeks. I replayed the campaigns (starting HW2 tonight) been listening to the Soundtracks, even watching stuff like Fall of Reach.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Im hyped, because it's coming to PC. MCC has given me renewed interest in the series.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't keep up with Halo because I dont have a Xbox but has his face been shown yet?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Believe

We (almost) back

That's not even accurate anyway as Halo 3 was leagues above Halo 2 yet that chart makes it seem they were equal. Halo 4 was also a bigger seller than 2 and Reach.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I've always maintained that while I think Gears of War is a franchise in need of either a significant God of War-style reboot or a long nap, all I think Halo needs is another really good game. Gears of War's problem is that it has an enduring aesthetic that feels very much like a product of the mid 00s, whereas Halo's overall aesthetic is far more timeless

A next-gen Halo game doing exciting new things as a launch title on a new console (and coming to PC!), is the best chance 343 Industries will ever have to return Halo to some sort of second "Golden Age". Does that mean it literally returns to the previous heights it enjoyed during the 360 generation? I have no idea. Those kinds of megahits are as much a product of circumstances and timing, as they are simply being a great game.

However, It ultimately comes down to 343 Industries finally creating a great, tight feeling game that can't be denied by anyone as a fantastic experience. Halo 4 and 5, while they both have their fans and defenders, are divisive games to say the least. Make a really great looking game, doing some interesting new things to grab peoples' attention and imagination, and offer a really good package at launch, during a time when people are hungry for something big and meaty to play? Sure, Halo could come back.

I thought God of War was a tired franchise in need of a long break. And then the 2018 game came around, and it was great. There's no structural reason Halo can't do the same thing. Just make a really great game, and let the chips fall where they may.

tenor.gif

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. My friends and I used to be huge halo fans back in the day on 360. Xbox live party chats and everything. But none of us talk about halo infinite. Just have to wait and see until we see more of it

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
There's a whole generation of people who don't understand why Halo was ever the game to be playing, unless the gameplay can capture the zeitgeist in that same way again, they are fighting an increasingly uphill battle.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while. Personally looking forward to more Halo. Really only interested in the campaign tho and haven't followed any news. Have there already been some info dumps regarding that in the past?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more hyped than I was for any Halo game since 3, when I was still in High School. So there's that. I think a big part of it is knowing it's coming to PC and a bunch of my old friends all "moved on" to PC years ago, leaving Halo sadly by the wayside. The hype is always there, it's just been up to 343 to deliver. I hope the game is as good as that new outfit is for Chief. Hotter than the Spartan has been since '07.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not even accurate anyway as Halo 3 was leagues above Halo 2 yet that chart makes it seem they were equal. Halo 4 was also a bigger seller than 2 and Reach.
Hype isn't sales numbers. I would argue that hype = consumer interest, which is what the chart reflects.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I think Halo as a name still has mass appeal for sure but it'll be an uphill battle maintaining that these days

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your intentions were good, OP, but I don't see this thread descending into anything other than a shitshow, unfortunately.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so.

It's unlikely it will ever be Halo 3 levels again, and undoubtedly they're going to have to win a few people back who were burned by how badly they fucked up marketing Halo 5, but they're on the right track.

Reveal next week will be important. Needs to be fresh.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
After rallying about a dozen people for five hours of Halo 3 PC custom games last night - yeah, Halo's coming back baby.

Didn't expect it to at all, tbh, didn't expect to be hyped myself either. Let's hope they nail it.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think the hype will be really contingent on the gameplay shown at the xbox games showcase. It feels like a do or die moment in regards to hype I feel. Personally, if the gameplay will be just as good if not better than Halo 5 then i'm hyped.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The last mainline game was limited to a struggling console - the new game will be available across multiple plattform including PC and xCloud. Via GamePass it will be pretty much free for everyone who is interested in the game - so yeah a much lower entry barrier is gonna result in more people being excited about content that they actually be able to experience.

Its gonna be a big launch if its a quality release.
I don't remember a lead up to a halo game where the hype wasn't through the roof.
Then you missed the H5 Guardians launch.
Then again your definition of "through the roof" might be different from mine.