Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Subscribing to Crave TV is the only way for us Canadians to watch Game Of Thrones legally. Anyone here has the app and what has been your experience with it? The reviews I found were mostly negative.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have it and it's ok at best. The content, aside from the HBO stuff, is kinda lacking. The app is not great usability wise. My beefs have been that it doesn't automatically queue up episodes in a series to play - when one is over, you have to manually select the next one. That and subtitles need to be turned on manually each time.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The app is very bad and glitches frequently while streaming episodes.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
When they did the whole service revamp with HBO not long ago they had a 50% discount for 3 months so I subscribed to try it out. I mainly watch on an AppleTV and an iPad.

I think it's worth it for the content. Due to some (very unfortunate) exclusivity deals, it's the only place you'll be able to legally stream some recent movies and TV shows in Canada. Content from HBO, of course, but also from Showtime and Starz.

The streaming quality is currently "acceptable" at best. It's barely HD, and the compression is not the best. Don't go in expecting Netflix-like quality, but it's watchable. I really hope they'll improve this aspect with time.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I like it well enough, content-wise. The fact that they STILL don't have a PS4 app is baffling as fuck though. Even Shomi had a PS4 app, and that's been dead for over 2 years now.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Rogers is gonna regret giving up on Shomi so quickly in the long run. Especially when Hulu inevitably shows up in Canada.

When Hulu shows up, I really wonder what kind of content they'll be able to get. The exclusivity deals Bell made for Crave will still exist, so it will really limit the amount of stuff Hulu would have.

Many heavy hitters like, for example, The Handmaid's Tale will most probably stay exclusive to Crave.

Last edited:

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I got it for Twin Peaks The Return last year but I found the streaming quality so poor that I ended the free trial early. Maybe I'm spoiled by the quality of Netflix but Crave didn't seem HD to me.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I got a 3 month free trial through air miles that I'm currently using. Not a lot of content, but what's there is often high quality. I think it would be better with access to the new HBO stuff, but for $20/month plus $10/month for Netflix I doubt I'll subscribe

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I was considering this for the final season of GoT.
But i heard they only offer cotent 720p? And I also heard about buffering issues with this platform...
Hulu needs to come to Canada faster godammit!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of getting it since I want to catch up on Curb your Enthusiasm but the reviews seem pretty bad and they don't even offer 5.1.

I might just get the free trial and binge.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I have it and it's ok at best. The content, aside from the HBO stuff, is kinda lacking. The app is not great usability wise. My beefs have been that it doesn't automatically queue up episodes in a series to play - when one is over, you have to manually select the next one. That and subtitles need to be turned on manually each time.

Yeap, same feedback from me as well. Buffering is better since they moved to the new app, I'm guessing they changed the backend as well.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Yeap, same feedback from me as well. Buffering is better since they moved to the new app, I'm guessing they changed the backend as well.

I have only seen the new app, but I didn't run into any buffering problem. Except for the barely ok streaming quality and some missing features, the app is alright. Let's hope it improves over time.

Last edited:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
The picture quality is so bad that it makes me miss the days of SD television.

I pray they get their shit together because their content is great but I can't mess with the service in its current state.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also considering this for GoT final season....
But this sounds really bad....
Is there really no other option for watching the show live when it airs?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Worth it for Letterkenny alone.
Watch Letterkenny it is the best.
Yes! Letterkenny is awesome.

giphy.gif

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I like the live on air portion. You get to browse a few live channels and just let it run. its a feature that i hope netflix embraces.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
My friend is going to give me her password so that I can watch Letterkenny. Instead of borrowing the DVDs from the library.

My parents probably could get Crave, because they subscribed to The Movie Network and it's now Crave on TV. But they've never been given a login.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Yes! Letterkenny is awesome.

giphy.gif

Isnt it 720p only?

Not considering it until it has 4K HDR support.
Yeah, I was considering it a while ago but the additional premium for new HBO content and it only being in 720p is a deal killer

Crave improved the quality of their stream quite a bit since the beginning of the year. On some devices, you can now stream 1080p. Here's what they say in their FAQ:
Approximate amount of data used per bitrate:

1080p - 2.6GB/hour (Apple TV Generation 4, Samsung TV and Amazon FireTV only)
720p – 2.5GB/hour

I've been watching Crave regularly on an Apple TV 4K and on an iPad, and I can really say the picture quality is much better than when this thread was created back in January. Still far from Netflix-like quality, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

They seem to be actually trying to improve the service. Really not sure we'll see 4K anytime soon, but they are on the right path I think.

Last edited:

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
If you really plan on watching a lot of the archived HBO and Showtime content then yeah, the basic subscription can be worth it. The additional $10 for access to current HBO offerings is bullshit though. That and the fact that they put access to movies behind that additional $10 now too. I watched a couple movies on Crave in January, and then early February found out I couldn't anymore. I was so pissed I cancelled my subscription

Now I regret it because I'm missing out on Desus and Mero's new show. Fuck Bell

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Does the app work with Chromecast? This is also my plan to watch the last season of GoT. Are there any other options?

Chromecast is listed in the list of supported devices. I don't have any experience with it though, so I have no idea how well the Crave app runs on a Chromecast.

https://www.crave.ca/devices

What Devices Can I Watch Crave On?

On Your Mobile Device:

Android phone and tablet: OS 5 (API 21+) and up

iPhone and iPad OS: OS 9+

On Your Mobile Device Browsers:

Chrome: Version 51+

iOS Safari: Version 10.3+

Microsoft Edge: Version 13 +

Firefox Mobile: Version 47+

On Your Computer:

Chrome: Version 60+

Firefox: Version 53+

Microsoft Edge: Version 13+

Safari: Version 10.1

On Your Television:

Samsung SmartTV 2014 – 2018

AppleTV tvOS Gen 3 +

AppleTV Gen 4

Chromecast

Xbox One

Coming Soon:

Amazon FireTV

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/21/apple-cable-bundles-streaming-service/

While Apple's new TV streaming service will include its own original content, Apple will also be offering customers access to video streaming subscriptions from third-party services, such as HBO and Showtime.

I really wonder how this new service from Apple will look like once it reaches Canada due to the strict exclusivity deals Crave (Bell) has with many companies. Pretty sure HBO, Showtime, and Starz (and probably more) will not be offered by Apple in Canada...

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Currently using it on a 50% promo for 3 months, which ends at the end of March for me.

It's ok, though the backend of it is pretty terrible. For whatever reason, the sync between watching it in browser, app, and Apple TV is out of whack and doesn't sync up 100%. I'll save stuff to my list on the browser, but it won't show up on my Apple TV, etc. The UI is an afterthought.

Also, I was watching some stuff from Starz, but they signed some deal where it's in another tier now? I'll not be renewing after this month is up that's for sure.

I'll just buy the season pass for GOT from iTunes. It will be cheaper than paying monthly for Crave.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23091

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Currently using it on a 50% promo for 3 months, which ends at the end of March for me.

It's ok, though the backend of it is pretty terrible. For whatever reason, the sync between watching it in browser, app, and Apple TV is out of whack and doesn't sync up 100%. I'll save stuff to my list on the browser, but it won't show up on my Apple TV, etc. The UI is an afterthought.

Also, I was watching some stuff from Starz, but they signed some deal where it's in another tier now? I'll not be renewing after this month is up that's for sure.

I'll just buy the season pass for GOT from iTunes. It will be cheaper than paying monthly for Crave.

Don't you have to wait until the season is done airing before the season pass is available?

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you have to wait until the season is done airing before the season pass is available?

Honestly, I can't remember with 100% accuracy, but I'm fairly certain I watched season 7 as it came out via iTunes - unless I'm imagining things.... Either way is fine, I'd rather watch them all at once anyways.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So has everyone figured out how they are going to watch GoT yet?
We have less than 7 days left...

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For most shows, the season pass is available when the first episode airs and you just get them as they go. HBO programming has operated much differently, as do some other programs, where none of the show is available on iTunes until some time after the season is completed. It really depends on the agreement that's made with Apple. In HBO's case, they want you to pay for HBO instead, so they delay release on iTunes and other similar services until after the season is over.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
As long as you dont mind sub HD quality, no HDR, no surround sound and a very, very subpar app ecosystem, then its great.

Finjitzu

Oct 25, 2017
SK Canada
Still 720p, and still just stereo sound. It's honestly terrible. But I don't think I can watch GoT any other way. Or can I buy it on Google Play (or somewhere else) and get the episodes as they come out?

Good question about Google Play. I'd rather just buy them and get them that way. But probably not being released till after airing.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I was subbed for Twin Peaks but the quality sucked and to this day there's still no PS4 app so I cancelled. I've got an Rogers Ignite TV box and a free trail of Crave + HBO + Movies coming just in time for GoT though so I hope things are better now.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Mines "free" with my cable sub, and the app is the only way for me to watch on mobile or PC if I don't want to see it live.

I only just looked up crave recently, just assumed it wasn't available to me since HBO Go was locked to the other cable company.