WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
  • Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said the cost of the riots in Dublin will run into the "tens of millions" and those involved in the violent disorder on Thursday evening will face the full force of the law.
  • He said the knife attack, in which four people were injured, and the subsequent rioting had brought "shame on Ireland".
  • He also said new laws will be brought in to allow gardaí "make better use" of CCTV footage as evidence and that new hate crime legislation will be introduced.
  • Tánaiste Micheál Martin said the Dublin riots were organised and the Government would now order a review of intelligence gathering.
  • Sinn Féin president Mary Lou McDonald said the violence was forseeable and she has no confidence in the Garda Commissioner Drew Harris

• Garda Commissioner Drew Harris said 34 people had been arrested and "many more arrests will follow".
  • Mr Harris said a riotous mob had caused huge destruction in the city, including the looting of 13 shops, setting three buses and one Luas tram on fire and damaging 11 Garda vehicles.
  • Numerous gardaí were injured, one seriously.
  • One Dublin bus driver was dragged from their vehicle by the rioters during the violence.

www.irishtimes.com

Dublin riots: Further arrests in city centre on Friday night while McEntee comes under pressure - as it happened

Girl (5) injured in Thursday’s knife attack remains in critical condition; Minister for Justice says gardaí are trawling 6,000 hours of CCTV footage

Background:

Gardaí were on Thursday night still trying to establish a motive for a stabbing attack that left three infants and a woman in her 30s seriously injured. One of the children, a five-year-old girl, was left fighting for her life.

Gardaí are trying to determine whether there is any relationship between the chief suspect, a naturalised Irish citizen who has been in the State for 20 years, and anyone at the scene or the school.

One of the passers-by who intervened to stop the attack is understood to have been a Brazilian Deliveroo driver.

www.irishtimes.com

Violence erupts in Dublin city after stabbing attack targeted young children

Chief suspect for lunchtime attack under armed guard in Dublin hospital and most seriously injured child fighting for life in Temple St Hospital

My family is Irish - cousins, great aunts and uncles still in Ireland. Grandparents directly from Ireland. Sadly anti-immigrant rhetoric has long (always?) been common. Sounds like the far right has been trying to pounce on any crime to fan the flames of anti-immigration to try and gain supporters for a couple weeks straight.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It shocked a lot of people alright. It's being spread by morons, for example one of the far right nutters who was ranting about "immigrants out" last night on Twitter shared a pic of the guy who helped stop the attack - who was Brazilian.

The Irish subreddit (r/ireland) shutdown overnight for about 10 hours because the flames were being fanned by so many American and British etc far right they couldn't handle the moderation.

EDIT: Here's a live cam of Dublin's main street right now. Trouble is brewing.

Dublin Web Cam - Streaming Live from O'Connell Street Dublin, Ireland 24/7

Tune in to Carrolls Irish Gifts live stream from O'Connell Street Dublin, Ireland - view live any time, 24/7. A direct view across to the GPO. Have a look now.

Gu1GRGPl.jpg

Last edited:

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I hope the victims make it out healthy and well.

And I don't understand the logic leap that goes from "foreigners bad" to "let's burn down stuff", but I guess it's just an excuse.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread. I've been hoping for one here on this. I've been watching some things about this, but wasn't sure of all the background/context.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Elements of society will find any excuse to loot.

This whole thing was started by fake news in far right circles when the suspect of a random stabbing was revealed to be a naturalized Irish citizen.

This is widely reported in Canada by the cbc

PowerTaxi

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Usage of gendered insult.
It shocked a lot of people alright. It's being spread by morons, for example one of the far right nutters who was ranting about "immigrants out" last night on Twitter shared a pic of the guy who helped stop the attack - who was Brazilian.

The Irish subreddit (r/ireland) shutdown overnight for about 10 hours because the flames were being fanned by so many American and British etc far right they couldn't handle the moderation.

The cunts don't have two braincells to rub together. The irony is lost on em.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

This whole thing was started by fake news in far right circles when the suspect of a random stabbing was revealed to be a naturalized Irish citizen.

The far right world wide is now all using the same playbook. Similar happened with the US and the US-Canada bridge car crash a few days ago. And it's definitely not a coincidence.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

So it's confirmed the stabber is an Irish citizen? The riots happened because they thought it was an immigrant?

PowerTaxi

Oct 25, 2017
So it's confirmed the stabber is an Irish citizen? The riots happened because they thought it was an immigrant?

Naturalised apparently

Might want to remove that word as it's an enforced thing on Era.
Just a heads up about the rule change for the use of that word

But boy if it doesn't capture the sentiment. These assholes sought their excuse and used it

I'm aware but think it still fits that lot so meh. Appreciate the concern though :)

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Everybody involved is an absolute fucking idiot.
Way to show immigrants how much you don't want them here... by destroying your own capital.
Canada Goose wearing cretins the lot of them.
Have a mad conspiracy anti vax person on Insta whose saying that Irish people were actually the person who stopped the crime, not the Brazilian.

However, in light of all this, the real Irish have banded together to support the Brazilian who helped.
The GoFundMe is here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/buy-caio-benicio-a-pint
Really is a life changing amount of money for him, provided he gets all of it.
Makes me proud to be Irish to see this

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
How do they afford Canada Goose? North Face not the ticket anymore.

Seeing them set a police car on fire and the amount on cloned cretins is quite something. They fear nothing.

May 21, 2018
The far right world wide is now all using the same playbook. Similar happened with the US and the US-Canada bridge car crash a few days ago. And it's definitely not a coincidence.

Good chance that Russia is helping to fan the flames behind all of them.

(Not saying they're the sole cause, but that they've worked behind the scenes to help instigate much of the far-right)

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday was a wake up call for any Irish person who doesn't think we have a problem with the far right. A lot of the fervor is being whipped up by British and American right wingers using Irish people online as useful idiots.

Any Irish person who has a problem with immigrants needs to give their head a shake. We're one of the world's biggest exporters of people. There are Irish everywhere on earth. I mean I'm posting this from Vancouver, Canada.

PowerTaxi

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday was a wake up call for any Irish person who doesn't think we have a problem with the far right. A lot of the fervor is being whipped up by British and American right wingers using Irish people online as useful idiots.

Any Irish person who has a problem with immigrants needs to give their head a shake. We're one of the world's biggest exporters of people. There are Irish everywhere on earth. I mean I'm posting this from Vancouver, Canada.

Could probably do a blanket instagram search for "GAA shirts in (foreign place)" and get a few matches with people arrested yesterday

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
These clowns look for any excuse.

Hope the woman and the children are alright.

I'm sure these idiots will continue to loot shops all in the name of "immigrants bad".

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Friends of mine had to leave town early to get home. These knuckle draggers don't represent the vast majority of Irish people. They're preying on failures of the government and turning on immigrants. They're your common dogshit racists. I love the pluralistic place that Ireland has become and will use every effort to defend it.

Last edited:

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
This is propably only the beginning with how emboldened fascist swines become with each new win in Europe. We should become a lot more vigilant.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
riots causes looting, looting causes damages and cost money, more news at 11

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the guy who stabbed the kids is Irish? I read all over Twitter yesterday that he was from Algeria. smh
He's a naturalized Irish citizen, so isn't a native but he's been in the country for over 20 years. So not a "fresh off the boat" immigrant/migrant like the hateful fucks would like to scapegoat.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The logic of "knife attack at a school ---> loot shops" is one I'd like one of these muppets in jail right now to explain.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Just repeating what is being reported by the CBC.
There's no info on what the misinfo being spread is, i would assume the worst kind of crap.

Naturalized Irish citizen mean, they weren't born in Ireland, so an immigrant who obtains Irish citizenship.

Here's the CBC story, which is using the AP report

Note that the report above doesn't go into the nationality of the attacker, the CBC reported on radio that he was a naturalized citizen. So I'm not sure if that's accurate anymore, but i assume it is until new reporting clarifies.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018

EDIT: Here's a live cam of Dublin's main street right now. Trouble is brewing.

Dublin Web Cam - Streaming Live from O'Connell Street Dublin, Ireland 24/7

Tune in to Carrolls Irish Gifts live stream from O'Connell Street Dublin, Ireland - view live any time, 24/7. A direct view across to the GPO. Have a look now.

Gu1GRGPl.jpg
Seems like business as usual plus the police cars atm

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The far right is definitely a problem in Ireland right now. Even the boards.ie forum which I quite enjoyed over the years has definitely moved to the right. To be honest, there was always casual racism regarding "foreigners" in the country but it's definitely becoming more and more vitriolic these days.

What I do think is interesting is that Sinn Féin are very much a left party these days and have a great chance of coming into power in the next election. I think they'll actually do quite well with these bozos who'll vote for them because "up the ra!".

riots causes looting, looting causes damages and cost money, more news at 11

Ok

Policy Chonk

Jul 9, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
Yeah I nearly threw my phone out the window when I saw guys with "Irish Lives Matter" boards in front of the riot Gardaí.

On the bright side the Go Fund me for the Deliveroo driver is over €120,000 now. That should let him buy 3 pints at Temple Bar!!

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
The far right is definitely a problem in Ireland right now. Even the boards.ie forum which I quite enjoyed over the years has definitely moved to the right. To be honest, there was always casual racism regarding "foreigners" in the country but it's definitely becoming more and more vitriolic these days.

What I do think is interesting is that Sinn Féin are very much a left party these days and have a great chance of coming into power in the next election. I think they'll actually do quite well with these bozos who'll vote for them because "up the ra!".

We're still the one of the few countries in Europe where the far right haven't made any gains electorally. We need to nip this shit in the bud and focus on community values and concern for others, regardless of where they come from. I'm confident that the majority of Irish people feel this way but we can't be complacent.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
boards.ie seems to be mostly populated now by racist old boomers and climate change deniers. There's a few good contributors on there especially in the gaming and films section (at least to my recollection, I don't go there much now), but even there there's a bunch of eejits who have the same 2 or 3 repetitive reactionary cliches that just smother everything else out, woke this woke that. An unenviable task trying to moderate that shithole.

I'm headed up to Dublin on the 8th, will stick to the south but I dunno

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it couldn't be anymore transparent how they're literally just fishing for any excuse to serve their narrative. I hope the victims make it out OK

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I nearly threw my phone out the window when I saw guys with "Irish Lives Matter" boards in front of the riot Gardaí.

On the bright side the Go Fund me for the Deliveroo driver is over €120,000 now. That should let him buy 3 pints at Temple Bar!!
There's one for the victims as well.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Bunch of wankers looking for an excuse to riot going off misinformation about an immigrant fresh off the boat attacking kids, then when it's revealed that it was another immigrant who stopped the attacker they started the "These immigrants are good, these ones are bad" rhetoric and now it's revealed to be a naturalised citizen who'd been officially irish longer than some of them have been born.

I'd use another word than wankers but it's seemingly disliked here

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
We're still the one of the few countries in Europe where the far right haven't made any gains electorally. We need to nip this shit in the bud and focus on community values and concern for others, regardless of where they come from. I'm confident that the majority of Irish people feel this way but we can't be complacent.

I don't believe there's anything uniquely Irish which makes us immune to the far right. I think the main reason why they haven't is because Sinn Féin and Irish political parties in general are weird and a lot of Irish identity politics is defined as "not English".

That said, I don't think Ireland will fall to the far right any time soon (or hopefully ever) and the majority of Irish people would be against it. All of my family and friend whatsapp groups were very against the rioters last night and hopefully it stays that way.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
From what I could tell there was misinformation that the attacker was an immigrant and the far right came out in full rascist force. But since then it seems the attacker is a 20 year+ Irish citizen sooooo....yeah, jackasses
But again, "knife attack at school -----> loot shops". Where is the logic leap? What does looting shops do about "immigrants" in these morons' mind?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But again, "knife attack at school -----> loot shops". Where is the logic leap? What does looting shops do about "immigrants" in these morons' mind?
Since when do these idiots need any kind of logic to justify their bullshit? It was always just hatred and an excuse to cause violence and use that to try and intimidate the people they hate and the government into capitulating to their disgraceful rhetoric. Thankfully most people seem to be against it and are calling them for what they are, hateful cowards.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It goes to show what type of people these are if they didn't loot the book shop.

I hope the fear of God is put in to them that they will get caught. Listening to the radio, they stole shoes removed and abandoned their old ones. Now the Gardai have them and been checked for DNA and fingerprint.

A lot of the cowards wore hoodies and masks. Hopefully the cctv from before and after will find them.

We are lucky we don't have a far right wing political party but they are hiding online and this is the result.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Saw a picture last night of a fire in front of the O'Connell statue, taken from almost the exact same spot I snapped a picture of it during my trip in September.

Thankfully most people seem to be against it and are calling them for what they are, hateful cowards.

Glad to hear this. I found the county to be incredibly welcoming during my trip. Screw these right wing assholes.

Policy Chonk

Jul 9, 2021
Wexford, Ireland

I think at that point it just becomes about getting the Christmas shopping sorted, just plain greed taking over once they realise they have free reign to do whatever, the pack mentality of being part of a large crowd I guess.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Everybody involved is an absolute fucking idiot.
Way to show immigrants how much you don't want them here... by destroying your own capital.
Canada Goose wearing cretins the lot of them.
Have a mad conspiracy anti vax person on Insta whose saying that Irish people were actually the person who stopped the crime, not the Brazilian.

However, in light of all this, the real Irish have banded together to support the Brazilian who helped.
The GoFundMe is here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/buy-caio-benicio-a-pint
Really is a life changing amount of money for him, provided he gets all of it.
Makes me proud to be Irish to see this
Just want to say that it actually was an Irish person who jumped in first on the scene so not everything you read is true regardless of where your thoughts lie on the matter

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that it actually was an Irish person who jumped in first on the scene so not everything you read is true regardless of where your thoughts lie on the matter

To clarify this, the timeline is unclear on who responded first, though either way it was a collective effort - none of the three stopped the attacker alone
www.irishmirror.ie

Three heroes who risked their lives to tackle Dublin creche knifeman

Alan Loren-Guille, Warren Donohoe and Caio Benicio rushed into action to help disarm the attacker as he carried out his gruesome attack on Dublin’s Parnell Square