• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ronco2000

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This phone is so damn good. That fluidity and speed. The gestures are impossible to go back from and the screen keeps dropping my jaw.

Face ID is 100x better than touch. Only situation where it's worse is laying in bed. But other than that, it works much much better. I enter my passcode way less and it's way more convenient when I'm walking. Totally exceeded my expectations.

Don't oversell it, Apple employee.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Are you using 2x mode or the actual portrait mode? Not a lot of people know this but hitting 2x doesn't actually activate the second camera. What you're getting is digital zoom with the wide lens, which is why photos tend to look like shit.
Not entirely true. The tele camera indeed features a 2x optical zoom, but only under good lighting conditions. The lights for the baby shot above were probably not bright enough, which means 2x digital zoom was applied. You can also "test" this by activating the zoom and dimming the lights / partially blocking a light source - there's a visible "hiccup" in the live image preview when it switches from optical to digital or vice-versa.

Has anyone had issues with picture image quality using the 2x mode? My wife and I were taking pictures of our son a few nights ago and the images look very artificial, almost as if a digital zoom is being invoked.

We were using overhead room lighting (walls are painted a very light grey) so I think there was plenty of light for the shot.

Like sirap said, portrait is the way to go sometimes. But you need the right place for it. Here's a portrait mode shot from last month:

G7rAkfo.jpg

Obviously, original is even more clear, since imgur kills IQ.

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Not entirely true. The tele camera indeed features a 2x optical zoom, but only under good lighting conditions. The lights for the baby shot above were probably not bright enough, which means 2x digital zoom was applied.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I remember it being super finicky on the 7 Plus and it would always default to digital zoom in every lighting situation except direct sunlight.

Still, you're almost always better off forcing it via portrait mode. The X's telephoto has excellent stabilization and you avoid Apple's aggressive image processing.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got an X last weekend. Very happy with it so far. Was coming from a 6S that had been freezing and crashing more and more consistently, as well as a host of other problems, so decided to bite the bullet and just upgrade. After a week of use the gestures are already second nature. I tried to use my iPad and had a hell of a time getting used to pushing the button again lol.

The camera is really nice, we even filmed a video for my company with the phone the night I bought it. Low light performance is great. https://youtu.be/Q3qH-VOBhUA Link to that if anyone is interested.

Face ID is good. Works more reliably than fingerprint. I like that it doesn't show the contents of messages or emails on the lock screen unless it's my face looking at it. Nice touch.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The 2X zoom almost aways switches to the zoom lens on my iPhone X. Way better than on my OnePlus 5 which was comparable to iPhone 7.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had issues with picture image quality using the 2x mode? My wife and I were taking pictures of our son a few nights ago and the images look very artificial, almost as if a digital zoom is being invoked.

We were using overhead room lighting (walls are painted a very light grey) so I think there was plenty of light for the shot.

img_02999csjs.jpg

It is digital zoom. Official camera app doesn't let you choose which lens to use and only uses telephoto for perfect lighting. Use a 3rd party app if you really want to use 2x. They all let you choose the actual lens

ronco2000

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Accusing a forum member of being a shill with zero evidence.
sort of. phone warz and shitposting is some weak shit.

meanwhile you're mad because someone is happy with the phone they bought in the thread about that phone.
Lol.
Dude, obviously that person is an Apple employee propping up their faulty product in an apple thread. You don't think a single Apple employee is in Era?

half a moon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jetech (not j-tech) 4s cable lasted 6 month strong and going. My apple 6s lightning cable lasted a month. Will report back on how long jetech lightning lasts. I plug up in bed with an extension cable and certain cables break. Went through a lot of amazon basic 4s cables.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
It is digital zoom. Official camera app doesn't let you choose which lens to use and only uses telephoto for perfect lighting. Use a 3rd party app if you really want to use 2x. They all let you choose the actual lens
Pretty sure that selecting 2X is supposed to change the lens. That's how they talked about it in the iPhone 7 keynote anyway.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that selecting 2X is supposed to change the lens. That's how they talked about it in the iPhone 7 keynote anyway.

You can easily test this yourself, just put your finger over the lens. It only switches in outstanding (ie outdoor) lighting. There was indeed a lot of confusion about this when the 7+ launched too but that phone worked the same way. The X added OIS to the telephoto lens to improve this, but it still requires really good lighting w/ the official app

I understand why they do it this way, but I find it maddening that there is no indicator which causes confusion and bad photos like we see here. Portrait mode has a warning and this should too

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

Only in good lighting and even then it goes back and forth. I just tested it outside and aimed the camera at a bench that was partially lit by direct sunlight. Bright areas triggered the switch, shaded parts reverted to digital zoom. There's more than enough light here to keep the iso down and shutter speeds up :s

It's very finicky. You're better off forcing it through portrait mode or with a third-party app.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm loving my iPhone X but the one thing I can't seem to deal with is that Apple don't allow me to set default apps and it's making me want to swap for a Pixel XL 2.
I hate that I have the Microsoft Outlook app as my mail app but if I touch an email link in safari or anything else is asks me to download the Apple Mail app and use that instead.
I still can't believe Apple force this shit.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Buying a fast charger and cable was a real kick in the teeth but boy does it come in handy when it's needed. The new charging options really have made a big difference and one of my second favourite thing about this generation, after the screen.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping back into this thread. What are you guys talking about, that tapping the 2x isn't doing the optical zoom? Come again? Should I not be using that?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That is how you use the optical zoom. Unfortunately, it is also how you use the digital zoom

The phone decides for you

Dang, I had no idea.
Just played around with this last night and today and sure enough you guys are right.

Makes those reviews mentioning using the 2x optical zoom at night seem silly. Can't be sure which lens was actually used.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Upgraded Saturday and picked his phone up....was intrigued by the Galaxy/Note 8 but I just can't get away from iOS and I'm so glad I got the X, in complete love with this phone. It's pretty damn amazing...

I didn't know how I'd like not having a home button and using swipes but now that I'm comfortable with everything, I don't want to go back lol....really like FaceID as well, haven't had any issues with it.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving my iPhone X but the one thing I can't seem to deal with is that Apple don't allow me to set default apps and it's making me want to swap for a Pixel XL 2.
I hate that I have the Microsoft Outlook app as my mail app but if I touch an email link in safari or anything else is asks me to download the Apple Mail app and use that instead.
I still can't believe Apple force this shit.
Yeah this is really annoying at this point. I want to use spotify, google maps, firefox over the official apps. Crazy I can't do that still. Considering jailbreaking just to do this but I'm not sure how great of a solution that will be.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Focos is awesome. I would love a better iPad app that lets me post process the focus depth etc.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Yeah this is really annoying at this point. I want to use spotify, google maps, firefox over the official apps. Crazy I can't do that still. Considering jailbreaking just to do this but I'm not sure how great of a solution that will be.
Yeah, thanks to the jailbreak on my old iPhone 6 I could change the default navigation app from the Apple one to google maps. Don't know whether there are similar jailbreak fixes/tweaks for firefox and spotify.
So, in the meantime, anyone who tried some HDR content on VLC 3.0 yet?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, thanks to the jailbreak on my old iPhone 6 I could change the default navigation app from the Apple one to google maps. Don't know whether there are similar jailbreak fixes/tweaks for firefox and spotify.
So, in the meantime, anyone who tried some HDR content on VLC 3.0 yet?
Haven't jailbroken since several phones ago. The scene is looking a bit shady now and I'm not even sure if there's anything that can help me change default apps on the newest iOS. Oh well

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
anybody got any battery case recommendations that support wireless charging? The battery on this seems to already be going to crap

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I finally did it. Dropped my phone not once but TWICE into pavement tonight, screen is good and cracked. Gonna be a bitch to fix since I'm on the beta

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
semi good news is 8 months to go with 1 accidental left right?

Damn, son. Power through until next stable release before checking in for repair imo.

How did the frame hold on?

I'm debating paying the $99 to replace the whole thing and just reload a 11.3 backup, or waiting until a stable release first. I'm gonna be getting a case either way, no more of this caseless life.

Frame is actually fine. There's a small scuff on the top left corner, but visible but you can feel it. I'm very impressed with this steel

So you get two accidentals each year on the iPhone Upgrade Program with Applecare or do you have two accidentals over the two year lease with Apple? Got some scratches on my screen and been wondering about this.

Two over two years, but that resets if you upgrade to a new phone. Scratches don't technically count, since they're cosmetic. Depends on how deep they are.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped mine a few times in the past week - most recently about 30 mins ago on the underground onto a concrete floor from waist height. Both fed and then pirouetted before settling. Have a couple of nice scuffs on the left side of the Apple leather case but phone is ok