• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Jealous. I got a iPhone X today and it's on 11.2 :(

Question: Can Plex on iOS play HEVC HDR files? I tried some but my PMS starts to transcode them to h264. Can't select direct play for some reason.
No, try Infuse. Infuse just plays everything I've thrown at it so far natively including h265 HDR. Can't wrap my head around how Plex is so behind the curve as probably the biggest player in this field.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Jealous. I got a iPhone X today and it's on 11.2 :(

Question: Can Plex on iOS play HEVC HDR files? I tried some but my PMS starts to transcode them to h264. Can't select direct play for some reason.

wouldn't there be a big battery hit decoding via CPU vs direct play? I would like the option though - I now have a decent transocde-capable plex server, but in the past my crappy NAS couldn't do anything except serve files. In that situation I would have liked a local decoding option

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, try Infuse. Infuse just plays everything I've thrown at it so far natively including h265 HDR. Can't wrap my head around how Plex is so behind the curve as probably the biggest player in this field.
I'll try that. Thanks! Have you tried the Google Drive integration that comes with the paid sub? Might as well try it myself too since you get a free period with it and can end it if it doesn't work well.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hello! I have a iphone 6s and was wondering if its worth to buy a Iphone x to replace it!
How much of a jump i will experience?

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
So I just had my dad's 6 Plus battery diagnosed and it's still good according to the Apple Genius. Told me getting a new battery would be a waste of $30.

I told him the battery went from down from 88% to 83% in the 30 minute drive there and he tells me that's normal.

Had him order me a new battery anyway, but should I trust their diagnostic result at all?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I just had my dad's 6 Plus battery diagnosed and it's still good according to the Apple Genius. Told me getting a new battery would be a waste of $30.

I told him the battery went from down from 88% to 83% in the 30 minute drive there and he tells me that's normal.

Had him order me a new battery anyway, but should I trust their diagnostic result at all?
You can try and use your own diagnostic tools to test against. Coconutbattery on macOS does this.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
0jpHSmC.png

It's happening...

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I absolutely love the iPhone X but it's the only Apple device I would ever own and probably my last.
I personally think their devices and repair prices without AC+ have become to expensive. It's such a shame too and I can only imagine what an iPad with Face ID will cost.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Looks great! Love the dock reflection, status bar and wallpaper !
Feels like a one uniform screen instead of broken into three.
Good to see there are still some jailbreaks happening. I always used themes on my iPhone 3GS with Winterboard (golden age of jailbreaking :') )

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes you should. They'll replace the battery, you'll notice little difference, and then you'll be mad at Apple.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Check the cpu speed.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder when Apple will update their processors to not be subject to the slowdown of Spectre and Meltdown? I assume the design of the A12 is already all but finalized, and it might be the A13 at the earliest?

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Hoping a full jailbreak is released sooner than later. Sold my 7+ in anticipation and I'm rolling with a Galaxy S8 right now unfortunately. Really can't stand Android messaging. Might have to pay a premium for an X on 11.1.2 in preparation.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Being able to remove the pointless homebar makes a jailbreak worth it.
Kinda off topic but good lord Linus and his team have fallen so much with those dumb clickbait titles and stupid thumbnails, he claims they significantly boost the views but i would rather retain a crumble of dignity and self respect than using that stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
This GPS stuff is maddening. constant rerouting on the freeways in google maps because it thinks I'm on the feeder road or by some random house.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to remove the pointless homebar makes a jailbreak worth it.
I use Guided Access to remove the home bar whenever I use a specific app or game for a longer period of time.
You can tie it to activate by triple-clicking the power button and deactivate it with a double-click + Face ID. Works pretty damn well.
The caveat of course is that it stops you from switching apps, which is what Guided Access is for in the first place.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hello! I have a iphone 6s and was wondering if its worth to buy a Iphone x to replace it!
How much of a jump i will experience?
As some who went from a 6 to an X, I can subjectively say there's no big jump anymore.
Getting closer to an actual jailbreak.
Why do people still jailbreak? The last time I jail broke was maybe 2013 and it was for features iPhone didn't have yet. What's the big thing with jail breaking now?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
As some who went from a 6 to an X, I can subjectively say there's no big jump anymore.
Why do people still jailbreak? The last time I jail broke was maybe 2013 and it was for features iPhone didn't have yet. What's the big thing with jail breaking now?
Apple still hasn't given us a decent copy/paste function for moving Apps and then I can't even place them wherever I want to. Folders are still too small.
Also, how the hell do I add battery percentage in the status bar of the iPhone X? Looks like another reason for a JB.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apple still hasn't given us a decent copy/paste function for moving Apps and then I can't even place them wherever I want to. Folders are still too small.
Also, how the hell do I add battery percentage in the status bar of the iPhone X? Looks like another reason for a JB.
I guess I never have the problems you do since I don't use folders and I don't know what you mean by copy/paste out of text and that works fine for me. You can't add the battery percentage to the status bar. I disliked that too at first, but swiping down isn't too awful.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I'm talking about moving (multiple) Apps without having to drag them with the finger while tapping is so much easier with the right JB tweak.
As for the battery percentage, Apple could just replace the battery symbol with the percentage and use colors to show whether it's low (red), full (green) and/or loading.
Or the big and ugly systemwide volume bar right in the middle of the screen while you could make it like the Youtube one smaller and place it right below the status bar.
So many possible improvements and the reason why I still can't live without a JB.

While talking about the iPhone X:
Played some more with the HDR playback and the vimeo App does a really good job of showing what this new OLED/HDR capable iPhone can do, e.g. https://vimeo.com/196168570
Shame that we don't have Youtube HDR support (yet).

Last edited:

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a screen protector for the first time since iPhone 4. Decided to use one since the screen costs so much to replace and I already got a hairline scratch from taking it in and out of my suit jacket pocket.

I am using the iCarez Tempered Glass 2.5D cover, and its pretty great. It SUCKS to put on since there is no guide to go off except the speaker grill. Right now, it's the cleanest protector out there - here is a sample pic from macrumors:
img_0326-jpg.746910

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
The X absolutely plays catch up in android in a multitude of ways, so yes.

Thanks! I'll go out and buy an Android now. /s

Those rounded corners are awful, they need reduced a few points. Other than that it looks okay.

Yeah the rounded corners look stupid in screenshots but look great and natural on the actual device.

Tweaks are great but I'm a more of a fan of iOS theming and looking forward to what the big surge of new stuff the iOS 11 jailbreak brings. These are some of my old setups.

They're kinda dated and I had some better newer stuff since they finally got Android icon pack porting but not sure where I put them. Just been doing some theming on Android for now but looking to get back at it on the X when the time comes.

Last edited:

plain

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a screen protector for the first time since iPhone 4. Decided to use one since the screen costs so much to replace and I already got a hairline scratch from taking it in and out of my suit jacket pocket.

I am using the iCarez Tempered Glass 2.5D cover, and its pretty great. It SUCKS to put on since there is no guide to go off except the speaker grill. Right now, it's the cleanest protector out there - here is a sample pic from macrumors:

Yep, that's nice and clean. Most screen protectors have the notch cutout and they look terrible.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Still waiting for both my case and screen protector, so home only use so far as I don't want any unnecessary scratches or destroy the screen by dropping the naked phone.

That looks nice but doesn't seem to be available (yet) in Germany/Europe.
Is that a transparent or non-reflective protector? What about that pattern? So far I have only used matt finished protectors, though am wondering how it'll affect HDR videos.
I would also be interested in the case used on that photo.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for both my case and screen protector, so home only use so far as I don't want any unnecessary scratches or destroy the screen by dropping the naked phone.

That looks nice but doesn't seem to be available (yet) in Germany/Europe.
Is that a transparent or non-reflective protector? What about that pattern? So far I have only used matt finished protectors, though am wondering how it'll affect HDR videos.
I would also be interested in the case used on that photo.
It's transparent glass, completely clear. That pattern is just reflection from the lights.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's nice and clean. Most screen protectors have the notch cutout and they look terrible.
I assumed they had the cutout because covering the Face ID tech could make it worse?

I have one incredibly hard to see small scratch but otherwise the glass seems more resistant to scratches than on any other phone I've used.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed they had the cutout because covering the Face ID tech could make it worse?

I have one incredibly hard to see small scratch but otherwise the glass seems more resistant to scratches than on any other phone I've used.
The iCarez glass doesn't have the cutout and zero issues with it, Face ID works intel haven't even noticed a fail since I put it on.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pull the trigger, already sold my 6s to my GF .
Wish me luck with my X, hope i will like it!