SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
The Senior Level Designer (Combat) job listing at IO Interactive Careers mentions an interesting point for the candidate requirements section (Spotted by this site)

project-007-job-listing.jpg

Have a passion for and demonstrate expertise in crafting levels with a keen focus on combat scenarios for third-person (or first-person) action-adventure games.
This could pretty much play out like the recently revealed Indiana Jones and The Great Circle game. Thoughts?
(For those not in the know: IO Interactive (popular Hitman series developer) is working on a James Bond game called Project 007.)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Either it's primarily third-person with first-person sniping moments like Hitman: Sniper Challenge (prolly this) or it's like Treyarch's Quantum of Solace. Third-person behind cover or when climbing ladders but otherwise first-person.

9166-qos1copy-1.jpg

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
The wording seems to suggest it'll be primarily third-person. I'm guessing limited first-person sections or mechanics, e.g. snipping or driving sections etc.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
James Bond can't be first person.

The reactions would be golden, but it wouldn't work.

Oct 27, 2017
That 'or first-person' is in brackets suggests more to me that although their game isn't first person, they still value FPS level design experience.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Either works for me. Replaying Goldeneye recently and its still the standout Bond game by far for me.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
After the amazing games the put out with Hitman 1-3 i am so intrigued. And I mean amazing amazing. The style of game that has me go through each level so many times to try everything out. I bought these games years ago and I am still halfway through 2. I play a ton every often until satisfied and then pick back later.

The videos of people playing them pro are as amazing as pro Dishonered stuff.

I can't wait for this game and I hope it hits it out of the park.

One thing I'll say, I honestly thought that after their Hitman pedigree the Mission Impossible franchise would have been a perfect fit. I always loved the N64 MI game and I can see the style from them after Hitman. It being Bind, who is more actions, intrigues me.

ParadigmGamer

Dec 2, 2017
Let's not forget that they added the optional VR mode to the recent hitman games. Could be for something like that…

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think third-person would be best for IO. A first-person Bond game just invites rose-tinted comparisons to Goldeneye. I hope the game really isn't all that dissimilar to Hitman, to be honest.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it doesn't make me use a controller. Not a fan of being forced to interact with games.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to be third-person because that's all the studio makes, but he's funny that Indie has turned this into a new anxiety.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a stretch just based on that. Like I can imagine maybe zooming in with like a sniper rifle in first person at most lol.

edit: I just had the thought that there could be first person car chase segments as well

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I can't honestly think of a game where I've liked mixed perspectives. It's almost inevitable that one feels substantially better than the other. I wouldn't necessarily read that job description as an implication that this game will be anything other than third person.

EagleClaw

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
This is like reading in the weather report something about some light chances of sunshine and expecting a sunny day.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the pre 2016 Hitman games have an optional first person mode? Probably not what this is talking about, likely the hybrid approach but it was cool being able to play either in the old games. Regardless I trust IO to make an amazing Bond game. Been a long time since we had one of those.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope it's more like World of Assassination and less like other Bond games, that's all I'm asking for. When I think of the character, I think more of a classy spy, not a Die Hard protagonist as most games make him out to be.

IO's strength are social stealth, not gunfights. I have to imagine that was the pitch they made too, because Eon Productions wasn't interested in having another Bond game because they were so shooter focused.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Either it's primarily third-person with first-person sniping moments like Hitman: Sniper Challenge (prolly this) or it's like Treyarch's Quantum of Solace. Third-person behind cover or when climbing ladders but otherwise first-person.

9166-qos1copy-1.jpg
I would like the former, these tacked on cover systems in 7th gen games didn't add much to FPS games.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
There was also a job ad looking for "experience working with third-person action games," when they were hiring closer to the announcement for lead roles with no mention of first person, so I think we can go by that.

We also know the game is much more of a cinematic, character driven experience with "substantial dialog", and we know EON gave them the licence basically because they weren't making another shooter, and theyve put a lot into creating their own digital Bond for the series so yeah, everything points at cinematic narrative driven 3rd person action stealth game and basically nothing points at first person (beyond something like sniping).

It could just mean that 1st person experience is not wholly inapplicable.
It's this.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Damn, that sucks. Half of Era won't be able to play this because of motion sickness.

Osiris397

Oct 28, 2017
I only hope it's ready for PSVR2 at launch along with an updated Hitman VR series for PSVR2.