Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Here is my interview with Daisuke Sato and Takaya Kuroda: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1154_yakuza-0-2-karaoke-switch-spin-off-city-hunter-daisuke-sato-

There are a few newsworthy bits:

-Kazuma won't disappear completely and we may see him again someday.

-If they were to create a Yakuza 0-2, it would once again talk about Kiryu and Majima's youth.

-They're often asked about a City Hunter Yakuza spin-off. Daisuke Sato thinks that even though City Hunter also takes place in Shinjuku, the characters don't fit in a Yakuza game as well Hokuto no Ken's do.

-They want to release Yakuza games on more platforms but don't think the Switch is a good fit. They think that Xbox One users would probably be interested in Yakuza games.

-Daisuke Sato would love to create Binary Domain 2. The decision rests in SEGA's hands though.

-When I asked if we'll see Shun Akiyama again, Daisuke Sato was pretty coy about it and answered: "why not."

There are a few fun bits in the interview. If one of you guys want to quote parts of it on your website, go ahead, but please make sure to give credit to Gameblog.

A great member of Yakuza-ERA, Romain, shared his interview with Daisuke Sato and Takaya Kuroda, revealing many interesting tidbits.

All credit to him and his website. (in french)

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1154_yakuza-0-2-karaoke-switch-spin-off-city-hunter-daisuke-sato-

Sato's full words re:switch:

"To be realistic towards what happened, Yakuza 1 & 2 for Wii U was a significant failure. But our goal is still to develop cross-platform as much as possible, and we know that it brings an extra audience, that it allows us to attract more people. That being said, when it comes to Switch, I am convinced that it would not be the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe the public is not expecting that kind of game on Switch. They may be used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. Regarding Xbox One, we could consider it, knowing that Xbox One users might be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. That could be an option."

translation via NintendoEverything

https://nintendoeverything.com/yakuza-producer-unsure-if-the-series-would-be-a-good-fit-on-switch/

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Isn't there an 'only on PS4' logo on the Yakuza games though? Meaning exclusivity deal with Sony?

Kiwami 2 demo is amazing but it's only 1080p even on the Pro, so I'd totally be down for an X port. Don't see it happening though.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
His excuse for not releasing on the Switch is such bull, considering the parallel to the Switch and Wii U couldn't be further apart

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do they go into more detail about yakuza on switch? Like do they know the switch audience is mostly adult males?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So the box art is a lie

Yakuza0.jpg

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I really do not want them to bring back Kazuma at all outside of spinoffs. The way they ended his story in Yakuza 6 was just too perfect.

Nintendo Switch is not a great fit for the franchise going forward, but I think they should have considered porting Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise to more platforms at launch as it is probably the last game they will make in awhile that would be viable on the hardware at all.

Binary Domain 2 will never happen, but I am glad to see Daisuke Sato is not negative over how that all turned out. It was seriously a fantastic game and could have become an incredible franchise.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They want to release Yakuza games on more platforms but don't think the Switch is a good fit. They think that Xbox One users would probably be interested in Yakuza games.

Fucking please.

It is what it is, but I can't roll my eyes enough at this.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Compromise: Port Yakuza Ishin to Switch, localize it to western audience, use that as the "test" game to see if the full franchise is worth it. If not port the full franchise, start fresh on Switch with Yakuza 7 since it's a whole new arc.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Binary Domain would be a success in today's market. It was released during a time where there were TPS flooding the market which made it difficult to stand out.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
It's difficult as trying to gauge a result from the wii u seems kinda futile.

The Wii U was a complete failure and I'm not convinced that the switch userbase resembles the wii u one.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Compromise: Port Yakuza Ishin to Switch, localize it to western audience, use that as the "test" game to see if the full franchise is worth it. If not port the full franchise, start fresh on Switch with Yakuza 7 since it's a whole new arc.
They are not going to drop the Dragon Engine just to support weaker hardware. Hell, the engine barely runs on PlayStation 4 at all as is. Next gen though I could see the series coming to everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So the box art is a lie

Yakuza0.jpg

Those labels never mean anything

The actual box has a PS4 Console Exclusive banner on it in NA (My copy does). European copies have the Only on Playstation banner though for some reason. (Valkyria Chronicles Remastered also had the Only on Playstation banner in europe, compared to the NA version with no banner. Which is weird considering VC was on PC for a while when the PS4 version came out)

As far as i'm aware, None of the Console Exclusive banner games (Danganronpa, KOV XIV, Street Fighter V, Yakuza 0,6,Kiwami) have released on other platforms outside PC/Playstation.
91c4fe9d-e8af-4f5c-8858-3fb44d51a0bf_1.d4a84640afa15c96a98984e743a5a80a.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there an 'only on PS4' logo on the Yakuza games though? Meaning exclusivity deal with Sony?

Kiwami 2 demo is amazing but it's only 1080p even on the Pro, so I'd totally be down for an X port. Don't see it happening though.
The logo means nothing. Sony puts it on the box. Not the publisher. Someone from Atlus USA mentioned this when people asked about the logo on one of the Yakuza games boxart. Dragon Quest Heroes had it on their boxart. It was later port to PC and then Switch.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's kind of right.

If they'd have to make major concessions for it to work, it's not a good fit.

I do think they probably just don't want the port hassle.
Then come out and say that, instead of hiding behind the modern day equivalent of "Nintendo owners only play kiddish games".

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Yakuza 6 could ever run on the Switch (at least not with some severe graphical compromises), let alone 7. Do hope they bring Ishin to the west, but would rather have it on PS4.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, 0-2 is not something i'd want. I would so much rather a game where you play as Nishiki in the 90s if anything. They managed to establish how Kiryu and Majima got started so well in 0. The gap between 0 and the start of 1 doesnt need anymore bridging.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i'm not really a yakuza fan but sure, put it on xbox and i'll buy one copy of each for the people who are and waited this long for a port

OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like nintendoeverything translated the switch part of the article:

Sato's full words:

"To be realistic towards what happened, Yakuza 1 & 2 for Wii U was a significant failure. But our goal is still to develop cross-platform as much as possible, and we know that it brings an extra audience, that it allows us to attract more people. That being said, when it comes to Switch, I am convinced that it would not be the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe the public is not expecting that kind of game on Switch. They may be used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. Regarding Xbox One, we could consider it, knowing that Xbox One users might be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. That could be an option."

https://nintendoeverything.com/yakuza-producer-unsure-if-the-series-would-be-a-good-fit-on-switch/

Segaswirl

Feb 5, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland.
I primarily game on Xbox, always have done... but I do own a PS3 and PS4 to play the Yakuza series.

Count me in.

Edit: Binary Domain on 360 was excellent too, I hope they make it BC sometime soon.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one time Yakuza is on a Nintendo platform, it's a terrible upgrade on a terrible system... Yeah, no wonder that wasn't a fit, but the Switch isn't the WiiU. I'll get the PC version, but this seems like such a weak excuse.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean even if they wanted to bring it on Switch, the Dragon engine games wouldn't work on the switch without huge downgrades. The engine isn't even working well on the PS4 version because it's still getting optimized.

The only thing that might be possible is the PS3 engine games.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy the shit out of that franchise on Xbox. That's the only franchise I really want to get into but I already sold my PS4 as it was collecting dust and no way I'm buying another one.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
There's a big difference between the Wii U and Switch, different audiences, and the Switch is selling WAY better than the Wii U ever did.

Yes, but I feel like there's a rather disturbing belief that companies will succeed on Switch because it's selling well. Then I look at games like Blazblue, and...well...

I honestly think it would do better on XBox One worldwide than the Switch.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch isn't the Wii U, there's a real sized population there.

Shit, if Yakuza games came to Nintendo properties (outside Japan, obv) I could all but sell off my Sony consoles.