Oct 27, 2017
These are surprisingly backwards compatible with Z490 motherboards.
11900K.png

while the new 11th Gen Core Rocket Lake doesn't migrate off of the 14nm process node, we are at least getting a new microarchitecture that promises (according to Intel) a 19% IPC improvement. Promising a Q1 launch, Intel lifted the lid a little on its next consumer flagship, the Core i9-11900K.
The new Core i9-11900K will also use DDR4-3200, enabling Intel to reach parity with AMD, as well as 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes from the processor to supply bandwidth to a full GPU as well as a PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe storage drive.

Last edited:

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
14++++++++++++++++? Will this like seemingly every single Intel "upgrade" also once again require a new MB to use?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Lovely. Looking forward to seeing some performance numbers later on.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna hold onto my 10900k no matter what, but curious if the reduction back down to 8/16 has any negative effects for any workloads that actually make use of them all

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Intel has moved to 10nm for their laptop CPUs but not for desktop?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Not buying anything Intel until they catch up with AMD in all areas

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering how these will compare to the 5800x or even the 5900x. I was looking at both of those for my new build. Any thoughts?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
14++++++++++++++++? Will this like seemingly every single Intel "upgrade" also once again require a new MB to use?
Yes, no and no.

Can someone explain to me why Intel has moved to 10nm for their laptop CPUs but not for desktop?
Production output is limited and thus they use 10nm first where it matters most - in laptops and servers as both are mostly power limited.
Desktops can wait a bit longer. Although with 10900K hitting >250W of power consumption at times the move to 10nm is long overdue in desktops as well.

Lovely. Looking forward to seeing some performance numbers later on.
Give me those benchmarks.
Grain of salt an such.

Intel-Core-i9-11900K-vs-Ryzen-9-5900X-2.jpg

videocardz.com

Intel demos Core i9-11900K against Ryzen 9 5900X - VideoCardz.com

Intel unveils Rocket Lake-S Geeknetic has leaked information on Rocket Lake-S, the upcoming 11th Gen Core series. Intel has allegedly officially announced its 11th Gen Core Rocket Lake-S series during CES 2021 press briefing, according to screenshots obtained by Geeknetic from the said...

TheNerdyOne

Oct 28, 2017
apparently there's a 15% margin of error on their performance claims, so their 4.4% win vs the 5900X could be as much as a 10% loss and their charts would technically not be a lie. good job intel, the biggest error margins in any of your charts yet!

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking about upgrading to this after the previous release was a flop, but I can't knowing the reduced core count is still a downgrade compared to before and the competition. Plus, with 10nm finally within realistic reach, might as well wait some more. I'm in no rush.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I almost don't care about a few percentage points if I can actually get my hands on the hardware. I'd like to get off of my 2500k, and it's been tough getting ahold of a 5900x. Maybe I'll just wait for a while? It's not like I can get a 3080 to go with it.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing productivity will still be an absolute blowout for AMD? Even in Intels best case on that chart, I'd gladly give the 8% game performance to have much better overall performance.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am kind of bitter. My PSU just went belly up and took my motherboard and my 8700K with it. Couldn't wait and got Intel 10850K since price was decent.

Anyways, this looks pretty decent overall. If they price it right might not be a bad chip for gaming and emulation . AMD will still win over in productivity.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
In related news, Bob is out and Pat is (back) in:

videocardz.com

Intel CEO Bob Swan to step down on February 15th, VMWare Pat Gelsinger to take over - VideoCardz.com

Intel CEO Bob Swan to step down on February 15th Intel Appoints Tech Industry Leader Pat Gelsinger as New CEO News Highlights: Bob Swan will remain in CEO role until February 15 Intel expects to exceed its previously communicated guidance for fourth-quarter 2020 revenue and earnings per share...

This should be good, I have faith in the guy. He was at the foundation of Intel's domination during Conroe-Skylake days.

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
Wondering how these will compare to the 5800x or even the 5900x. I was looking at both of those for my new build. Any thoughts?

If they can get close on performance and be very competitive on price, I'd be interested in them. i keep debating getting a 5600X but the price is a touch more than I would like. Ideally a 5600 might appear but no guarantee.

i may as well wait at this point to see how the new i5s perform then take a punt on whichever CPU gives best bang for buck.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, no and no.

Production output is limited and thus they use 10nm first where it matters most - in laptops and servers as both are mostly power limited.
Desktops can wait a bit longer. Although with 10900K hitting >250W of power consumption at times the move to 10nm is long overdue in desktops as well.

Grain of salt an such.

Intel-Core-i9-11900K-vs-Ryzen-9-5900X-2.jpg

videocardz.com

Intel demos Core i9-11900K against Ryzen 9 5900X - VideoCardz.com

Intel unveils Rocket Lake-S Geeknetic has leaked information on Rocket Lake-S, the upcoming 11th Gen Core series. Intel has allegedly officially announced its 11th Gen Core Rocket Lake-S series during CES 2021 press briefing, according to screenshots obtained by Geeknetic from the said...

Am I correct in assuming the difference will be even smaller at 4K where performance is more GPU dependent?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, why are Intel's benchmarks focusing on 1080p of all resolutions? Especially with the barely legible percentage differences that are no doubt within their error margins as someone else pointed out. Especially when this is supposed to be their big boy NVMe 4.0 CPU, it really isn't pointing out an obvious win.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, why are Intel's benchmarks focusing on 1080p of all resolutions? Especially with the barely legible percentage differences that are no doubt within their error margins as someone else pointed out. Especially when this is supposed to be their big boy NVMe 4.0 CPU, it really isn't pointing out an obvious win.

1080p is more CPU dependent. It has always been like that for CPU benchmarks. Higher resolutions are more GPU dependent.

Nov 2, 2017
Ideally you'd go even lower res to 720p and use low settings. AMD also used 1080p with Zen3 and even used high settings instead of ultra, which is a good thing for CPU comparisons. Seems the 11900k is about 5-10% faster than the 10900k in games.

05IMqrFYAZqciz1BauEOjNP-11.fit_lim.size_768x.png

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Am I correct in assuming the difference will be even smaller at 4K where performance is more GPU dependent?
Of course. Even at 2560x1440 there likely to be about zero performance differences.
But tbh this is more or less true now for any 6C+ CPU starting with Haswell-E (5820K) and even some late gen 4C/8T CPUs like 7700K.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Of course. Even at 2560x1440 there likely to be about zero performance differences.
But tbh this is more or less true now for any 6C+ CPU starting with Haswell-E (5820K) and even some late gen 4C/8T CPUs like 7700K.
One thing to consider if folks are running other software at same time as gaming. So if you are streaming, watching youtube/netflix/hulu/etc on the other screen, got Discord going, and so on, a few extra cores help.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll agree it's boring but I feel it's still better than Ryzen, which sounds like "risin" which is old southern slang for a painful body pimple or boil. If I told some of my older relatives that "I got a ryzen" they would ask if I needed help lancing it. (Source)
Total understanding from a Mississippian over here. I agree. I get what they were doing with Zen and such, but Ryzen is a nonsense word.

iJul@1502

Oct 28, 2017
I hate when they downgrade core like this when i9 10900 is 10 core and 11900 is 8 core.. Why not just use i7 11700 for this cpu ?

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
This is supposed to be the last 14nm desktop CPU from Intel (for real this time) before they launch their 10nm stuff later this year. This is just a stop-gap. Wouldn't recommend buying unless you really need to upgrade soon for whatever reason.

Yep if you're going Intel may as well wait 6 months for Alder Lake where they'll finally be ~equal footing with Zen 3 process wise.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Actually it doesn't. My current 10600k compatible motherboard (I can't remember the exact model number) is also compatible with these new processors. Also, the 6000 platform was also compatible with the 7000s.

Intel doesn't always require you to upgrade your motherboard for a new processor (also I don't get why this is a big deal? Who the hell is upgrading their processor every year?)

Sidenote but I love my 10600k so I probably wont be upgrading, but it's nice to have the option I guess.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Same socket as 10th gen?
Same socket but it makes about zero sense to couple a 400 series motherboard with a 11 series CPU as this way you're loosing one of their key advantages - 20 PCIE 4.0 lanes.
400 series MBs may support PCIE 4.0 (unknown at this point if Intel will allow this and how many MBs will end up being compatible even if they will) but they only have 16 lanes from CPU anyway so you'll be wasting the added 4 lanes - which is arguably the biggest feature of RKL and 500 chipsets as it allows you to have a GPU and an SSD connected directly to CPU via PCIE 4.0.

One thing to consider if folks are running other software at same time as gaming. So if you are streaming, watching youtube/netflix/hulu/etc on the other screen, got Discord going, and so on, a few extra cores help.
Yeah, streaming, sure. Youtube and Discord are unlikely to make any difference though.

I hate when they downgrade core like this when i9 10900 is 10 core and 11900 is 8 core.. Why not just use i7 11700 for this cpu ?
Cause it will probably end up being pretty close with 10900K even in multithreading?
If it will in fact have a +19% IPC uplift it should amount to +152% over 8 cores which is basically +1.5 10900 cores.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
videocardz.com

Intel Rocket Lake-S to be available on March 15th, Alder Lake-S to feature 10nm Enhanced SuperFin architecture - VideoCardz.com

Intel Rocket Lake-S to be available on March 15th HKEPC has new information on Intel’s upcoming Core series. According to the article, Intel would launch its 11th Gen Core series codenamed ‘Rocket Lake-S’ on March 15th. Intel has only so far confirmed that the series will be introduced in the...

March 15th seem to be the launch date for these.

Also some new info on ADL-S - +20% IPC on GLC over WLC / +16-18% overall when viewed with "little" Gracemont cores (which are expected to be at Skylake level of performance).
September announcement and December launch.