Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So pleased to see The Longest Journey in here. I utterly fell in love with the game, its world and characters. A really magical experience that everyone should play

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
The Darkside Detective is really witty and comedic but the writing isn't overly complicated. Still really good it nails it.

pittman

Aug 15, 2019
Grim Fandango or day of the tentacle are the top ones for Lucasarts for me. Longest journey would be my vote for not Lucasarts games.

The first Gabriel Knight for sierra games.

Since we are debatedly also including story focused crpgs: Planescape.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium. People can call it a CRPG if they want, but it plays exactly like a point and click adventure game, except your character has stats.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
There're so many good ones but my top two are definitely Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The Longest Journey, followed closely by The Dig.

Disco Elysium would take the top slot if it were a point and click adventure. But it is not.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I don't know if it's a point and click adventure but it's probably my favorite game of all time. I just sat absolutely astounded after I finished it and didn't even want to pick up a controller to play anything for a couple weeks. I know it won't hit everyone the same but it absolutely pressed every button for me.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DE is the best written game ever for me too but it's not a point and click adventure.

To answer the question, I'll go with Unavowed. But the classic picks like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle also had incredible stories and fantastic writing.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
it's Day of the Tentacle.

the fact it's an absurdist comedy with cartoon logic takes away none of the sheer brilliance and genius of its writing.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I have a lot of love for the old school Lucasfilm and Sierra games.

But one I see rarely mentioned is Zak McKracken. That game made me laugh so hard the first time I played it, and I still enjoy working through it now and again.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
But one I see rarely mentioned is Zak McKracken. That game made me laugh so hard the first time I played it, and I still enjoy working through it now and again.

I think one thing against it is that it's a bit less accessible then the post-SOMI lucas games as first timers can easily get dead ended. So more people don't get to experience the full game.
I'd love remakes of the pre-SOMI P&C games (except Loom which doesn't need it) that take out the dead ends (although MM should keep the humorous deaths and perhaps let you dead end certain paths as long as you have at least one path to success left). Should still be pixel art style of course!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very

VERY

Sad about the lack of Broken Sword in this thread.

One if the best plots in all point and click games, filled with constantly memorable characters and quotes.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
If we consider Disco Elysium a P&C then it's that. But if we're talking just about the heyday of Point and Clicks is say it's Grim Fandango

Nameless Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Best written is Norco, even if it's not the best "puzzel-y" P&C adventure game.

Other great ones, imho are Unavowed, Dreamfall and The Longest Journey

idk if Pentiment counts but that one too

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Other great ones, imho are Unavowed, Dreamfall and The Longest Journey
I always thought Dreamfall is underrated. Sure the switch from point and click controls to an actual controller is a bit wonky, and it leans more into visual novel territory compared to adventure games. I still think it's fascinating and it has excellent dialogue, music, and voice acting (better than TLJ even).

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody already mentioned the classics so I will go with a more unconventional choice but I firmly stand by it.

Leisure Suit Larry 7. It is one of the best P&C games you can play. Fantastic setting and some of the best puzzle designs in the genre.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah I loved Dreamfall! I've been thinking of playing them again, it's been too long. I have no idea if what came after was any good though, I never heard anything particularly good about Dreamfall Chapters, I don't know if I should still play it and focus on the good parts of it or if it's better to ignore it.

Dreamfall Chapters has great dialog. Honestly I think it might be my favorite of the trilogy.

But story wise it's kinda weak, though I think wraps up well. And it does have some amazing moments and characters.

Defensively feels they bit off more than they could chew.

Dreamfall Chapters is worth playing just to experience Shitbot.

DavidBoring

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I don't know if it's a point and click adventure but it's probably my favorite game of all time. I just sat absolutely astounded after I finished it and didn't even want to pick up a controller to play anything for a couple weeks. I know it won't hit everyone the same but it absolutely pressed every button for me.

I wasn't/am not sure either, but Wikipedia says it's an p&c

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Zork Nemesis is extremely underrated for its writing. It's an unusually somber and dark tale for the otherwise cheerily deranged Zork series. The quality of the acting in the cutscenes is also way above what was common for FMV at the time. Make sure to use ScummVM to play the game, the Steam release is barely working on modern computers.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/571060/Zork_Nemesis_The_Forbidden_Lands/

Since people are mentioning RPGs in a thread about PnC Adventure games I thought I would mention one of my favorite games in terms of writing: Realms of the Haunting. It's a fairly unique mix of PnC Adventure and... a FPS. IMHO it leans more towards adventure, though, since the combat is fairly trivial and kinda boring.

There is an absolute shitton of writing in this game. Not only are there numerous and long cutscenes with lots of dialogue, you can also look at most items in the game world and get some snarky description or even more little dialogues.

But most of the great writing in this game is unfortunately optional, as there are numerous long and detailed conversations you can have with your companion as they speculate about each and every new piece of information you gather, and they are fully voiced. More and more of these dialogues are unlocked in the menu as you go through the story and it's IMHO one of the best features of this game.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/292390/Realms_of_the_Haunting/

Last edited:

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
Gabriel Knight 1 or 2 for me. In addition to Disco Elysium being a crpg, it comes across as so pretentious to me. The 4 times I've attempted to play through it, I always drop it as soon as I get past the gate neat the beginning. It's so dull if you aren't into pseudo-intellectualism and the conversations drag on forever.